the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where the hell is the Opposition?

+10
Outsider
LivingDead
Jondo
Sourpuss
Hollywood
Bretton Woods
EdWin
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
Freeman
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 12:52 pm

LivingDead

general-contributor
general-contributor

There should be at least one resignation over this.

Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 87856

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

27Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe the reason McFayden hasn't been "chirping" about this is because he was attending to his dying father....

"Ralph Daniel McFadyen, father of Manitoba’s Progressive Conservative Leader Hugh McFadyen, died today at age 69."
from the Winnipeg Free Press http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/McFadyens-father-dies-surrounded-by-his-family-151750505.html[/url]

28Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Who said anything about paying off politicians?

That was not the implication.

What I was explaining was the informal aspect of negotiation and proposal.
Two to four people, sitting at a dinner table or playing a round of golf can get much more accomplished weeding out the crap, than a room full of 40 politicians with their own hidden agendas ever can.

Use the waterpark thing as an example.
So I am a business person, and I want to build a waterpark. Am I going to go stand in front of city council and say "hi, I want to build a waterpark...please vote for my idea"?
No, I'm going to find out where I think a good location would be, my estimates, my costs, etc. Once a location or two are found, I need to find out the impact of THAT area first...so I would contact the rep for that area and invite him/her out for dinner or a game, spend a little money and grease a wheel to make a "friend", so that I can gather information about the area...what they are trying to do (ie. expand community centres, change infrastructure), and try to work that into my plan.
I would also field my idea off this politician to see what their first reaction would be to the proposal...and see if they are completely against the idea...or if they are lukewarm, and can be swayed with the right incentive for their community...which of course would help keep them elected.

I'm not sure what happened with the waterpark thing at the Forks. And I'm afraid I don't know who represents what areas...but did the politician who announced it represent the Forks area? If not...I'm curious how he got involved...unless he owed a favor to the person who DOES represent that area...and put his head out there to get chopped in case it didn't work.

Again...for the crown corporations to use taxpayer money to buy things, or political influence like these is unacceptable. I don't know enough about "crown" corporations to know if they are truly taxpayer funded? or do they self-sustain? If they are self-sustaining...then it would seem they have a fund in place to at least buy these event items to give to charitable causes.

The guy who got tickets from CanadInns though? He should never have bothered reporting it. It's nobody's business. It would ONLY be an issue if he was offering favor back to CanadInns because of what they gave him.

http://www.photage.ca

29Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"That was not the implication."

Actually, that is entirely the implication.

We have rules against buying politicians lunch for a reason.

30Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Again...for the crown corporations to use taxpayer money to buy things, or political influence like these is unacceptable."

LOLOLOLOLOL... so its okay for private business to buy political influence... but not crowns?

that is quite the messed up little theory you have there.

both are equally as bad.

31Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 4:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets put the water park into perspective now

5 years ago city says.. here is the RFP.. it MUST meet these guidelines, 3 bids come in, 2 are tossed for not meeting guidelines ( the developer did not own the land in that was proposed for the development)

winning bid decides not to go forward.

RFP goes out again.. SAME RULES ATTACHED. No one is particularly interested.

meanwhile
Parcel 4 is NOT listed as for sale and in fact using city land and getting a discount on the land is STRICTLY forbidden in the RFP docs.

all of a sudden.
a "plan" is walked on to EPC that has parcel 4 for sale (at a discount for almost certain given its value) has the guidelines being missed (too small of a building, developer not currently owning land, discounted land sale from city), has no details attached to it, and did not consult the area stake holders (HRM and Forks) and its jammed through the EPC approval with no concern for voter outrage.

Why? Because of a backroom deal that did not follow the proper process all to ensure that the $7 million water park promise from Sam from 5 years ago was fulfilled.

This waterpark is a perfect case of why greasing the wheel is illegal. Its a perfect case of how development should NOT happen.

32Where the hell is the Opposition? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Lack of leadership, corrupt, no vision, - I seem to remember these in the Winnipeg Tribune's article in 1960.

Why haven't things gotten better? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum