the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where the hell is the Opposition?

+10
Outsider
LivingDead
Jondo
Sourpuss
Hollywood
Bretton Woods
EdWin
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
Freeman
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The No Damn Progress party submits a go nowhere, do nothing budget and not a peep from the Opposition. Ok, ok, so McFayden has already told everyone that he's stepping down, so let someone else take the lead. Their lack of criticism smells like they find nothing offensive in this piece of crap.

Another increase in minimum wage? Thats good for business. PST on insurance premiums, does that include MPI (knew they would get us somehow) PST on tattoos, well that certainly helped me change my mind. So, it makes sense to amalgamate RHA's, but there are no savings in amalgamating school divisions.

Are the Conservatives planning on losing the next election already?

2Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It boggles the mind eh? They opposition is all but invisible on all matters. Is it any wonder the ndp keeps getting reelected?

3Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:16 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No savings on amalgamation? That makes no sense! There will be a savings in administration costs and possibly in purchasing materials, if they still buy books.

There isn't criticism because the budget is just about perfect, except the costs weren't cut enough. Actually I saw one critique that pointed out the base that was used to compare was what was spent that included the one time cost of the $500,000,000 that was spent on the flood.

Does anyone have those details?

http://www.elansofas.com

4Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:There isn't criticism because the budget is just about perfect,

Its hardly perfect. What does it provide for growth of the private sector, which actually generates employment, opportunity and wealth? What does it do for the middle class? What does it do to keep young people in this province? Perfect, my a$$.

5Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:
rosencrentz wrote:There isn't criticism because the budget is just about perfect,

Its hardly perfect. What does it provide for growth of the private sector, which actually generates employment, opportunity and wealth? What does it do for the middle class? What does it do to keep young people in this province? Perfect, my a$$.

I had a job offer for a position in Manitoba last month. I used to think that would never happen, but if the right conditions ever came up, I might consider it. Unfortunately, the pay didn't justify a move. I can still make more money and have a higher quality a life here vs. Manitoba still. And unfortunately with the lack of provincial leadership and corrupt Winnipeg civic councilman, the idea is even more offputting. Unfortunately, there is no real leadership with vision provincially or in the civic department yet and for the forseeable future in site, even with all the developments going on.

6Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Bretton Woods

Bretton Woods

EdWin wrote:... even with all the developments going on.

All the development going on is 90% government sponsored. Everyone talks about how Winnipeg is starting to 'boom' but it is merely a joke.

7Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

Worst thing is the NDP are running huge deficits at a time when the economy in the west is booming.

So what happens next?

8Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Bankruptcy?

9Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 am

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Bitchin' water slide park by the Forks, man. That's what's next. What?

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

10Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Look for the Manitoba Party to be announced in May.

11Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Look for the Manitoba Party to be announced in May.

and then what? Elimination of photo radar?? Woo hoo.

12Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Come on Freeman, at least someone is trying something. Let's wait to see what it's all about before passing judgement.

Realistically speaking there are no parties out there that have sparked the fancy of Manitoba voters other than the ndp. Do we really want that to continue?

Last edited by grumpy old man on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

13Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm allowed to be cynical. But, you're right, I'll wait to see what comes out.

I hope that they have a broad enough support that individuals who are clearly identified with singular issues are not the front men. And that includes Colin Craig of the CTF.

14Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Eliminate the fat bloated bureaucracy in Manitoba. Roll back on corporate welfare, and eliminate payroll tax. Stop jacking up the minimum wage. Reduce my income taxes to levels equal to or less than Ontario and/or Sask.

Get unions out of Government. Fund education directly and eliminate school tax from my property tax. Eliminate inefficiency from heath care and from education. Eliminate Deficit financing and reduce the DEBT.

Is there a person with the balls to do this in Manitoba? Is there a political party willing to do what is right for Manitoba? I'll go out on a limb here and say NO. book mark this and we'll revisit it in a year, two or ten from now. I'll bet nothing will change.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

15Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Then YOU must lead us from the wilderness LD.

LD for mayor premier prime minister!

16Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

LivingDead wrote:Eliminate the fat bloated bureaucracy in Manitoba. Roll back on corporate welfare, and eliminate payroll tax. Stop jacking up the minimum wage. Reduce my income taxes to levels equal to or less than Ontario and/or Sask.

Get unions out of Government. Fund education directly and eliminate school tax from my property tax. Eliminate inefficiency from heath care and from education. Eliminate Deficit financing and reduce the DEBT.

Is there a person with the balls to do this in Manitoba? Is there a political party willing to do what is right for Manitoba? I'll go out on a limb here and say NO. book mark this and we'll revisit it in a year, two or ten from now. I'll bet nothing will change.
So how do you feel about local improvement zones, historical buildings and the Jets?

17Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I like the jets. Especially when they are supported by the community and not the taxpayer.

Historical Buildings, Maybe i'd save the ones's in Egypt, Rome, etc.. ones that are 500+ years old.

Let private business buy everything up and then get the cops and landlords to kick out the riff raff. Then a zone will rebound.

18Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I would never get elected, but I would make Manitoba more competitive and a destination for businesses. Plus, I'd execute many, many criminals. Cheaper to kill 'em than to keep them incarcerated.

19Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Once again, the No Damn Progress party are providing the opposition with tons of ammunition, for God's Sake, even the gun with the latest Jets ticket fiasco, yet McFuddle remains quiet.

Daily, the government is introducing useless, go nowhere, do nothing legislation, yet not a single dissenting voice. This weeks announcments call for Codes of Conduct for elected municipal and school division officials, also known as the Mike Babinsky Gag Law. Is this what we expect of government?

Now they want provisions that municipalities to have the voters decide before incurring debt!!! How about lead by example. Right, that would take leadership, and the NDP are void of that.

20Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

umm..wasn't it McFayden out there calling for resignations over the Jets tickets thing?

Personally I think it's stupid...so they went to a hockey game...big deal...but McFayden has been calling for heads over it.

http://www.photage.ca

21Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

And he should call for heads to roll, thats the role of the Opposition. The part time Finance Minister stood up and bumbled some BS over it, all the time knowing that he had accepted tickets.

If Crown corporations receive tickets for community work or to entertain "clients", thats one thing, its another to give them to their political masters. Don't cabinet ministers earn enough that they can afford their own tickets?

McFuddle had one scrum over the issue and has let it fade. He needs to get a set of balls or get out of the job.

22Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

AGEsAces wrote:umm..wasn't it McFayden out there calling for resignations over the Jets tickets thing?

Personally I think it's stupid...so they went to a hockey game...big deal...but McFayden has been calling for heads over it.
I've struggled with this response. Fortunately it seems to be in the minority.

There are several issues here. Let's deal with them individually.

1) any and all crown corporation should not be investing dime one in the purchase of any sport or art events.
2) once crowns have invested (do not renew) do not give them away to ministers or board members or members of their executive. If there can be a legitimate use for their "customers" fine, use them. If they can be used for their ground level troops for rewards, fine. Otherwise just find a charitable cause to support.
3) any PRIVATE corporation giving tickets to an MP, MMP or city councilor should be completely forbidden. Giving such "gifts" are intended to influence the recipient. It really is no different than a bribe.
4) ndp recipients lied about receiving tickets; they dismissed the possibility of influence and/or impropriety.

It is not "just" Jets tickets. The tickets have significant value and are hugely in demand.

23Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Working with government officials and offering them incentives to "lend an ear" has been standard practice for eons.

It won't change...and it shouldn't.

Everyone cries about things not getting done...well it's because there's so much whining about "transparency" that causes the bureaucratic bull to surface.

A business person taking a government official out to dinner, or a hockey game, or baseball...where they can sit and discuss points of view are how things get accomplished. In a casual environment, without eyes and ears watching...where brainstorming can be completed WITHOUT people presuming that's the new "LAW" being put forward.

I do agree that IF the crown corporations bought tickets (or anything) with the intention of giving them to charity or underprivileged groups...then they should by no means be giving them to any government officials. And if they bought them for "employee incentives"...then the employees should be the ones who benefit...not government officials.

What nobody seems to realize, is that by taking on the government officials here...it's going to end up hurting EVERYONE. Because they will end up passing some stupid law that NOBODY is allowed to give away tickets to anyone, unless that person claims it on their tax returns as some kind of perceived income/benefit. So companies buying tickets for employees, or for vendors, or for clients will no longer be allowed without some sort of "claiming" process being forced. Say goodbye to grandpa buying their grandson a ticket...cause the value is "too high"...it will be considered a gift of value.

And while everyone might shake their head at my prediction...trust me when I say, you take away the perks of the public office...they will make sure to take it away from everyone else as retaliation...but they will call it something else that everyone will 'buy in to'...probably in the name of "safety".

And yes...they are "just jets tickets". They are tickets to a hockey game, nothing more. Tickets to a play, a movie, a golf outing...all have similar values. And nobody was crying like this for the past years with Moose, Goldeyes, etc. tickets. The only reason for calling on it now is because of the hype of the Jets...in 5 years, when the hype is gone...and tickets are readily available again...nobody is going to care anymore...but by then...so many stupid rules will be in place...it won't matter anyway.

http://www.photage.ca

24Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats great. I am going to payoff all the members of council and the MLAs and put a hog plant over that school thats real close to you. HECK.. IN THE SCHOOL!.. I wont even force the kids out just to show how good of a guy I am. After all.. its okay to pay off politicians right?

25Where the hell is the Opposition? Empty Re: Where the hell is the Opposition? Thu May 17, 2012 12:52 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

There should be at least one resignation over this.

Where the hell is the Opposition? 87856

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum