the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Empty Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:40 am

rykos

rykos

In the Mexican thread, someone mentioned needing more Lebanese restaurants in Winnipeg. I agree! Not just Lebanese, but Syrian, Afghanistani, Persian, etc etc. . .

The only ones I know are:

Baraka--lebanese. I like it, but the chicken in the chicken schwarma is actually pretty tasteless; all the flavour comes from the sauces. But it's my go-to ME place when I have a craving. now that L'Epi de Ble is just half a block away, that's even more reason to go!

Darakeh--Persian. a little far, but not too bad if you live in south Winnipeg. I thought it was OK. The food could have used more flavour, though.

Shawarma Time--Yuck! I've read good reviews, but have never had a good meal there. I've only been twice, but given the 100% failure rate I experienced, I won't be going back. I asked them where they were from, but they wouldn't tell me, so I don't know what kind of Middle Eastern food it's supposed to be. Or maybe it's just generic ME food?

Bibi's--Persian. Haven't been yet, but I haven't read good things. Might give them a try anyway.

That new-ish place on Pembina--pizza and schwarma. I hope the pizza is really lahmacun. I think it's take-out only. It's near Vincent Massey in a strip mall on the west side of Pembina.

What am I missing and where else can I go?

eta--I checked and the new-ish place is Best Pizza & Donair at 1469 Pembina.

Donair is really schwarma, isn't it?

(I also corrected the spelling of Shawarma Time to reflect the spelling they use, and according to their website, they're Lebanese)

2Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Empty Re: Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I thought there was a falafel restaurant on Corydon???

3Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Empty Re: Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Corydon and Wilton? Rosen?

4Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Empty Re: Middle Eastern restaurants, anyone? Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:34 pm

rykos

rykos

I can't believe I forgot Falafel Place! Israeli, I think. I know I've had their falafel, but I don't remember what I thought of it (which means I probably thought it was just OK).

I went to Best Pizza & Donair. I really like it. The chicken shawarma is very flavourful--maybe less chicken than in Baraka's, but a lot more flavour (which is, to me, more important). I like the za'atar pie (it's the flat kind that's folded in half), too. It's softer than Baraka's version, though it might be a bit smaller. The options are limited at the moment (donair, shawarma, falafel, za'atar pie, meat pie, cheese pie), but they'll be expanding their menu in the near future to include kebabs, ftayer, etc.

I'm very happy to have a great Lebanese place in the south end. Now I don't have to drive all the way to Main when I get a craving!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum