the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stadium delayed because of weather???

+4
JT Estoban
grumpy old man
USApegger
Deank
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

a little old russian scientist told me that the stadium construction is delayed because of weather?? Anyone have an article to read about this?

2Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 am

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

CTV did a short story on it last night, Bombers first few games will be on the road

3Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How does the stadium get behind on construction when it has been perfect weather since June 2011 for construction?

4Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:46 am

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

They said the slow down is installing the canopy (roof) They require two cranes to do it and it has been far too windy

I drive past the site at least once a week, its quite something to see, I have wondered if they can finish in 5 months

5Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm.. so...do everything else and come back to the roof is not an option somehow?

(who would have thought that WINNIPEG the WINDY city of the north would have problems with wind?)

6Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think almost everyone has expressed some skepticism about that stadium being ready for the start of the season. The Bombers should have fessed up sooner.

I don't buy the "too windy" argument. Weather in Winnipeg this year has been almost perfect for construction.

7Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:04 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:umm.. so...do everything else and come back to the roof is not an option somehow?

(who would have thought that WINNIPEG the WINDY city of the north would have problems with wind?)

I agree with you, however I am just stating what CTV said last night

and like GOM said, why not come out and just state the facts.

I also believe the stadium will be over budget, and I would suspect that the Bomber loan will be forgiven within 2 years

8Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" will be forgiven within 2 years"

nah.. City of Winnipeg is on hook for it... oh wait sorry I mean the "taxes" from the "new development at old site" will pay the loan off.

ITS FREE MONEY!!!!

9Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:" will be forgiven within 2 years"

nah.. City of Winnipeg is on hook for it... oh wait sorry I mean the "taxes" from the "new development at old site" will pay the loan off.

ITS FREE MONEY!!!!

I don't think the city is on the hook for it?? I thought the province was "loaning" the money? Ahh I can't remember anymore, anyway I don't see the Bombers ever paying the full thing off (just my opinion)

10Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

province is giving a bridge loan... the football club is on the hook for it.. but for some reason if they cant make the payments (you know..something like.. they would need another 5 million per year PROFIT OVER what they are making now) then the taxes from the old area will pay for it.

ie.. the taxes from the old area will pay for it.

11Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:province is giving a bridge loan... the football club is on the hook for it.. but for some reason if they cant make the payments (you know..something like.. they would need another 5 million per year PROFIT OVER what they are making now) then the taxes from the old area will pay for it.

ie.. the taxes from the old area will pay for it.

Ahh ok, I got it. Well those taxes will never cover it!

12Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I think almost everyone has expressed some skepticism about that stadium being ready for the start of the season. The Bombers should have fessed up sooner.

Agreed.

Just looking at what's changed from each visit I've made to the area (once or twice a month) and it appears the stadium won't be completed on time. (just my observation)

As I've explained to others, I don't expect the entire stadium to be ready on time. Yes, it will have seats, and a field, the players will have their dressing rooms, and the media and corporate sponsors et al will have their luxury boxes.

Just don't expect a roof, or more than a toilet or two per section, and concessions, score clock, you know the expensive stuff to be ready on time.

That's my cynicism kicking in....(based largely on the history of the project, as well as the CMHR begging model)...prove me wrong Bumblers!

13Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:Just don't expect a roof, or more than a toilet or two per section, and concessions, score clock, you know the expensive stuff to be ready on time.

Last time I checked, they were not building roof. Have you heard something new?

14Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There is a roof.

15Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

No, a roof is a roof. What kind of a roof? It's a roof. A roof is a roof, and when you have a good roof, it's because it's roven." -
Jean Chretien

16Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Stadium delayed because of weather??? 13238907962636

17Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:
Last time I checked, they were not building roof. Have you heard something new?

I use the term "roof" loosely...

..as loosely as the Asper clan uses the term "cost overrun"

18Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Anonymous

They're umbrellas!! Shocked

We're gonna' have an umbrella'd stadium.

19Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

to be fair.. they are more like caps on a baseball cap.. and will protect the average person about as much

20Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:52 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What American small town just south of Winnipeg has a covered "roof" 15,000 seats? and it is rented out about 220 times per year?

We will have an open stadium that will be rented out 20 times per year1

It is way cheaper to have an empty stadium for 200 extra days, that is Winnipeg.

Anyone know who rents the 15,000 seat covered stadium for those extra 200 days, and at what cost, revenue? Who owns the stadium? What did it cost, in what year?

http://www.elansofas.com

21Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think the Fargodome seats 20k. Different construction needs come into play for enclosed football stadiums seating 33k.

22Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:to be fair.. they are more like caps on a baseball cap.. and will protect the average person about as much
They've said that roof will keep the rain off of 80% of the seats.

23Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:to be fair.. they are more like caps on a baseball cap.. and will protect the average person about as much
They've said that roof will keep the rain off of 80% of the seats.

rain hardly ever falls straight down

24Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:01 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It does fall down though... It hardly ever falls sideways.

25Stadium delayed because of weather??? Empty Re: Stadium delayed because of weather??? Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

umm.. the reason the stadium is delayed is because of wind...wind usually does blow it sideways. and as I found working at Portage and Main in trizec building. Wind often makes it rain upwards in Winnipeg as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum