the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Umm...Rapid Transit (Would it be a Winnipeg forum without this thread?)

+19
eViL tRoLl
umcrouc0
Outsider
rosencrentz
jimj_wpg
holly golightly
Freeman
JT Estoban
IG Guy
AGEsAces
EdWin
Electrician
grumpy old man
egomaniac
FlyingRat
Deank
nickelback
LivingDead
Ex-Pat-Pegger
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

FlyingRat

I agree, an electric system would be the way to go

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:yes GPS system. All buses will have them soon, with the expected result being that there will be some stops that will actually have 100% up to date arrival time for buses on digital boards. And further this information will be available online to make it easier to catch your bus when it is late.
This also allows drastically increased monitoring of the buses from HQ to ensure people are not running to far ahead or behind without reporting it.

i have been somewhere.. maybe Kingston or London that had this and you could go online and it would show you on a map where the bus was in relation to the bus stop that your are waiting for. pretty freaking cool!! Shocked

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that would be nice.
especially for all the people with browser enabled mobile phones.

Cost to the city... not much really...
significant boost to the look and feel of transit... almost priceless.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Deank wrote:that would be nice.
especially for all the people with browser enabled mobile phones.
Or even if it was tied into the existing phone system... no browsing required

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I believe that it will be tied to the existing phone system and online schedules will be changed as frequently as they can. At least I believe that is the proposal.

But most people will see it as cooler if they could "watch" a bus moving across the map and probably use it more.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They have it here already. They control where all the busses are. They are also installing the electronic timetables at major stops. In subways, like in Milan for example, these panels are very important, mainly because the routes are used by more than one subway line. In Vienna, every stop is announced on the various vehicles just before reaching them. Bus tickets or passes are used here in Trieste, no cash. The tickets last 1 hour or 75 minutes, or one day, while on Sundays and holidays, the 1 hour ticket can be used for 4 hours. You can hop on and off all the busses you need in that time span. Trieste also has a subway system which is dormant, but the provincial govt. is planning on using it to connect the airport to Trieste and neighboring Koper in Slovenia. This is a city of 330,000 peeps and roughly 7 x 4 km of heavy density population.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup we are getting the electronically update bus schedules at major stops. and I believe they will also announce the buses as they arrive at the stops too.. i could be mistaken on that part maybe..

but yeah the major upgrades are definately coming. And those alone will probably make people think twice about us actually needind rapid transit.

Anonymous

Rapid Transit would be so much more beneficial to the community than some new museum that hardly anyone would attend...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I see we've another sandbox member that wishes to turn every thread into a human rights museum issue. We have what 6 threads on that subject? Is that not enough? Should we create a forum dedicated solely and exclusively to that topic? Wait, that still won't be enough will it?

Sigh. Go ahead. If that will make sandbox members feel better. Go ahead.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Well, at least it's a hot topic. We can't exactly have elections going on every month, can we? Razz

Anonymous

Electrician wrote:Well, at least it's a hot topic. We can't exactly have elections going on every month, can we? Razz

Prescisely....:party 005:

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yesterday afternoon, I was downtown and happened to be driving beside one of those articulated buses that crashed and burned a few years ago (maybe it was last year) when they couldn't handle the cold...

Anyway, this one was painted with BC Transit logo's on it, had a Manitoba dealer plate as well as a couple of things you don't normally see on a Winnipeg bus. It had a trailer, which looked like a gas generator and cables connected to the back of the bus. On top of the bus, was a set of trolley poles. The route sign on the back of the bus said "CHEC" and the operator seat was still wrapped in plastic. Only the operator was onboard.

I surmise WPG Transit was allowed to take it for a test run to see how a electric articulated bus (for BRT one would assume) handles the deep soak.

Anyone else seen or heard about this thing yet?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I saw that thing this week also. I assumed it was Flyer giving her a test run. I also assumed the trailer was a generator used to power the bus as it was an electric trolley.

Anonymous

Kind of a un-trolly trolly eh. Smile

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just want to be on record that I'm not going ot participate in any debate/argument/discussion regarding rapdi transit in Winnipeg. At this point, anything that I would have to say has been said by someone else, at least 6 times.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Freeman wrote:I just want to be on record that I'm not going ot participate in any debate/argument/discussion regarding rapdi transit in Winnipeg. At this point, anything that I would have to say has been said by someone else, at least 6 times.
I'm gonna hold ya to that...

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I have a sneaking suspicion that CHEC on the back of the bus is an acronym for Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company (CHEC) as that is now all the rage for BC Transit's upcoming new buses being brought in. I have many friends in Vancouver who are into the Eco-Green lifestyle and are pleased with this new concept.
There is a document put out by Fuel Cells Canada (another gov of Canada agency) that indicates that BC Transit along with another BC company will be testing these types of vehicles (buses as well at light duty trucks). You can take a look at some of it below.
http://www.hydrogeneconomy.gc.ca/docs/capguide2006.pdf

Anonymous

Vancouver may just be selling off its assets....heh heh

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm inclined to agree with GOM that this was either New Flyer taking one out for a test run or it was Winnipeg Transit doing the same for it's own research.

The reason I say that is the trailer on the back was extremely loud and smokey, so it's probably safe to say that it was not a Hydrogen Fuel Cell working there, rather it was some kind of diesel/gas generator supplying the electric motor on the bus in place of electric trolley lines which we no longer have.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

It would be so classy to have the eletric tram system back here. You always think of some place like in cali. when you hear of the old tram cars! lol

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Umm...Rapid Transit (Would it be a Winnipeg forum without this thread?) - Page 2 1610

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

speaking of rail based trolleys....

How did they deal with the ice being compacted into the rails back then?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

That's a very good question....someone around here probably knows...

Another one would be, how did they deal with the poles coming disconnected from th lines....that would suck in the middle of a -40 winter day....especially since a car coming in from behind is essentially blocked from going around and continuing on...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JT Estoban wrote:That's a very good question....someone around here probably knows...

Another one would be, how did they deal with the poles coming disconnected from th lines....that would suck in the middle of a -40 winter day....especially since a car coming in from behind is essentially blocked from going around and continuing on...
Can't answer the rails question. Rosen or J2F probably can.

But the trolleys always came off the lines in this weather. The drivers would use a long pole to reconnect the trolley. Many locations were predictable: mostly where lines crossed. I may well have been one of the prime reasons that technology was abandoned here in Winnipeg.

Plus I hated the sight of all those wires.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

On November 16, 2007,
the federal, provincial, and municipal governments announced the
Transit Improvement Program, in which it includes upgrades and
improvements to existing infrastructure for buses, such as transit
priority signals, transit-only lanes, and new bus shelters. In addition
to an order of 33 new regular 40-foot low-floor buses, Winnipeg Transit
also ordered 20 new 60-foot articulated Diesel-Electric Hybrid buses,
in which the first bus being delivered by the end of 2007. It will be
tested on the streets of Winnipeg during the winter months.[20]
On December 15, 2007, Winnipeg Transit's first articulated bus was delivered. It will be one of two buses in Winnipeg
that will be undergoing testing during the winter months. During its
pilot run, it will most likely be operating transit routes on (but not
limited to) Pembina Highway. In addition, 20 60-foot articulated buses
are expected to be delivered to Winnipeg Transit by Spring 2009. But
according to the hybrid bus test results, the test was not successful,
and so Winnipeg Transit is looking for alternatives from New Flyer. [21]

http://www.photage.ca

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]