the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sagkeeng Housing

+7
death128
AGEsAces
holly golightly
St Norberter
Outsider
grumpy old man
Deank
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sagkeeng Housing Empty Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Sagkeeng-to-run-two-housing-complexes-115298784.html

so...Government owned and subsidized housing units to be simply handing over to a Native housing authority.. no current tenants will be kicked out, but "their people" will be given preference on the waiting list?

WTF?

I dont even understand how this could even come up as a conversation. I can ALMOST see it, if the building were sold to them.. But...no.. thats not happening all thats happening is that they will be paid to manage them.

gotta say. This is in fact Racism. There exists no "historical inequity" that would allow this racism.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged threads; changed topic title)

2Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

RACISM!

Imagine the hue and cry were I to build an apartment complex and announce that I will only allow WASPs to live there.

Enough with this garbage. Enough!

3Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Who will be responsible for the upkeep of the buildings?

4Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

this is worse GOM..

They are not even using their own money.. they are just being given an existing building.

one that non native people already have access to. At at time when rental vacancys are at an all time low that makes people desperate to find housing. So now.. Natives will be getting yet another option for housing that non natives simply dont have, WHILE natives still get access to all the other existing options.

This is just so wrong.

5Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Outsider wrote:Who will be responsible for the upkeep of the buildings?

Manitoba Housing will be responsible. They still own the buildings. The property managers will just get paid to do the work

6Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

And look at the location. If MB Housing was anxious to get rid of these, why wouldn't they give them to U of M, I'm sure there is quite a need for lo-cost student housing. Now given that the U of W prides itself on accessible aboriginal education programs ( they promote it more than U of M), wouldn't it have made more sense to enter into a partnership with U of W on some housing downtown?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

7Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:37 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

And what will happen to the people who are already in these housing complexes, where will they go once they are "forced" out when it becomes an "aboriginal only" complex. We all know that there will be "community" pressure on the non natives who live there to give up their units because they "don't fit in" with the guidelines. Or they will be forced out because they don't belong to Sagkeeng First Nation nor can they produce a treaty card.

8Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh they "wont be forced out"

yeah whatever...

9Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who really believes the south Winnipeg housing complexes will be populated predominantly by indians going to the U of M? The VAST majority will be welfare recipients plopping babies out like pez dispensers.

The only acceptable thing about this is the location. Nothing is worse than the current Winnipeg indian reserve ghetto created by housing of these poor people in the north end.

10Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:oh they "wont be forced out"

yeah whatever...
Create a WASP only complex.

11Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

do you really think the government would just give me a building and then pay me to maintain it?

12Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Of course. Precedent has been set. DEMAND your rights. Oh, and tell them you want them to build your Hamburger Emporium at the same time. This is your right!

13Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

frak that.. I am lazy.. I demand they convert one of the rooms for me. I will use it as a launching pad for ecotourism in the East part of Lake Winnipeg. Just by saying that I qualify for $15K of free money...The last part is actually fairly close to true.

14Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

loving the comments showing up..

15Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hmm...

this might actually be an "illegal" use of Manitoba Housing.

16Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:20 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I agree with Grumpy...it's RACISM...100%

It's basically telling everyone who is NOT from Sagkeeng that they are not important enough to obtain housing.

That a single mother with two kids and two jobs whose husband beat her and she finally left him is not as important as someone who decides to leave the reserve to go to school and freeload off the taxpayers even more.

What if a single white male lives in some backwoods town, and decides he wants to go to University? His grades are better, his skills and dedication are higher, yet he can't attend school because someone on a reserve somewhere has decided they are going to take that spot...based on the colour of their skin!!!

And now housing is going to provide a place for them to stay...at OUR expense!!!

This should be stopped before it gets started, as a signal to end the freeloading thieves the reserves have become!!! Let them support themselves for a change, instead of stealing more money from those who are actually willing to work for a living!

http://www.photage.ca

17Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Meh. Amelioration of conditions for disadvantaged persons is part of the constitution. Studies show the aboriginal people of MB have always been severely disadvantaged. Once conditions improve things will get back to normal eh.

18Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am sorry but I just dont see the perceived disadvantage that this is supposed to be overcoming.

19Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The disadvantage is largely self-imposed me thinks.

20Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:14 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And then there is this:
An inner-city activist is accusing Manitoba Housing of taking too long to fill vacancies.

Sel Burrows, president of the Point Douglas Seniors Association and a spokesman for the North Point Douglas Residents Association, said there are more than a dozen vacancies alone at the Manitoba Housing highrise at 817 Main St.

As well, Burrows said he knows of four three-bedroom houses in the North Point Douglas neighbourhood that have been vacant for more than three months and a four-bedroom home empty for two years.

Burrows said when he has brought up the issue with the province, he has been told he is wrong.
"I can show you the vacant units," he said on Friday.
"It's just ridiculous. They have these excuses. Yes, they have a fairly high turnover rate, but it takes them months to get people back in.
"My friends in the private sector bring vacant units back to availability in five days -- Manitoba Housing is very lucky if they get a vacant unit available within two months."

Darrell Jones, chief executive officer of Manitoba Housing, said the provincial organization does have a four per cent vacancy rate in Winnipeg, but he said the reasons are not that simple.
"It's a combination of some units not having a strong demand and the type of unit or the location," he said.

"People have preferred locations because of the proximity to employment. Others become comfortable in a neighbourhood and want to stay there."

Manitoba Housing, the province's largest landlord, has 45,000 units across the province, with 7,700 it directly manages in the city.

Jones said the vacancies at 817 Main St., which he said is actually about 10 units, are all studio apartments.
"Studios have become less and less popular through the years," he said, noting it was recently announced a housing block on Pacific Avenue was being converted from having a number of studio units to multi-bedroom suites.

Jones also said part of the turnaround delay in recent years is because the provincial government has been pumping in more money to renovate suites than it had for years.

But Jones said to address the delay for renovations and the painting of suites, the province has been hiring more personnel to its in-house resources.

"We're moving more and more in that direction," he said.
"We feel we can do a certain blend with in-house resources and contract people."

Meanwhile, the province announced Friday it has signed an agreement with the Sagkeeng First Nation to have Sagkeeng take over property management for the complexes at 2339 Pembina Hwy. and 25 Gaylene Pl.

The two projects consist of 15 one-bedroom units, 51 two-bedroom, 31 three-bedroom, five four-bedroom, and two five-bedroom units.

"This is a proud day for the people of Sagkeeng," Chief Donavan Fontaine said in a statement.

"With this partnership, we can begin to immediately provide affordable housing to our people, particularly those who have come to Winnipeg to complete higher education at the nearby University of Manitoba."

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 5, 2011 A3

21Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

So we are giving away housing units for the exclusive use of one race of people when there are many suites and houses available, and have been available for a long time.

And get this: Manitoba Housing, the province's largest landlord, has 45,000 units across the province, with 7,700 it directly manages in the city. Hey, not implying they aren't needed elsewhere in Manitoba but it seems everybody and their dog is coming off the reserve and moving to Winnipeg, which already holds 60% or more of the total population of Manitoba, and there are only 7,700 (some vacant) units here?

Who is the bozo in charge of Manitoba Housing and why is s/he still employed?

22Sagkeeng Housing Empty Just a question. . . Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 am

dan0213

dan0213

I know someone who lives in the buildings at 2339 Pembina hwy who is, supposedly, being evicted based on violation of a contract she says she was forced to sign when Sagkeeng took over. My question is this, is anyone aware of whether there were contracts that current tenants were required to sign through the new management? I have been told by someone else I know who lives there that there are in fact no contractual obligations imposed on current residents, I would just like to find out if anyone else knows anything about it first hand?

23Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It rings a bell. Perhaps someone here knows what's what.

24Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

There is an article on here somewhere when this happened it was made quite clear by management that no one would be "forced out" in favor of their own people butat the time everyone was quite skeptical of that. As long as it was nothing illegal I would take it straight to the press because you can't not be forced to give-up rights that you had just because new owners took over

25Sagkeeng Housing Empty Re: Sagkeeng Housing Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 pm

dan0213

dan0213

Yes I agree totally, however I just need to know if there were in fact contracts presented.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum