the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the taxpayer fund museums?

+6
death128
Deank
rosencrentz
Outsider
Triniman
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should museums be funded by the taxpayer?

Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 57% [ 8 ]
Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 am

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:All museums should have their funding from all levels of governments eliminated! The Museums, the zoo's, etcetra , should have to operate on the money they collect from visitors!
We dont need no art museum downrown! have you seen how piriful the displays are?
If Cathy Richardson wasn't donating millions of dollars it wouldn't be open!
What a waste of money to hang some irrelevant pictures for people to see, that can be seen in a book from the library, or on Dr. Google!
Come to think of it we should close all "free" libraries , that are paid for by our local taxes! What a waste of money books for cheap people to loan!

We are in a recession.
Why wouldn't we spend our precious tax dollars repairing our existing libraries and museums instead of building new ones at the expense of leaving the old ones in dis-repair?

27Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
Triniman wrote:Guess why? You'd think with all the stimulus money they were throwing around, this project would get millions more. But no. They are listening to the people who believe the overall stewardship to date has been terrible. Not accounting for inflation? Get real.

You have facts to substantiate this claim? You just can't keep making up stories to support your position.

The federal government may well have decided they've no more money for this museum. And they may well believe the museum has been and is very poorly run.

But this is a NATIONAL museum. If they believe the museum management is ineffective they should replace the board and appoint a new manager.

edited out for personal shot at GOM

Last edited by LennyJessop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

28Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:01 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Just a question to those who don't support the museum, why not vent your displeasure on the 3 levels of government, all of which have made significant contributions to the project? When the Aspers came calling all the politicians had to do was just say "No"!!

29Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:Just a question to those who don't support the museum, why not vent your displeasure on the 3 levels of government, all of which have made significant contributions to the project? When the Aspers came calling all the politicians had to do was just say "No"!!

To be honest, I was in Alberta, when the Aspers got the go-ahead from the Government to build this Museum. So I did not hear much about it until I came back for a few months in 2008. I tried writing to the CMHR and the Provincial Government about this issue, but have yet to receive a response, except an automated one from the Province. Mainly I wanted to know what was to be included in the Museum.

30Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Anonymous

I have, of course, voiced my displeasure with those in charge. Goes without saying.

31Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is your displeasure the content or the public contribution?

32Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:I have, of course, voiced my displeasure with those in charge. Goes without saying.

It goes without saying. Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Icon_smile

33Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:Is your displeasure the content or the public contribution?
public contribution

34Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Anonymous

For myself, it is the lack of information about what is going to be included in the Museum. I have tried to obtain this info, but it seems to be elusive. I think if the Canadian public is picking up 2/3 of the tab, they should have the right to know.

Of course, Gail Asker keeps ducking that issue, and insisting it will be a big "surprise."

35Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Anonymous

Ahhhh....Lenny....they don't know what's going to go into it. They are now just asking that question.

Does that not make you feel like there has been another agenda at play here?

36Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Anonymous

JTF wrote:Ahhhh....Lenny....they don't know what's going to go into it. They are now just asking that question.

Does that not make you feel like there has been another agenda at play here?

It certainly does.

It almost seems like the Museum is doing things backwards. Usually when building a significant project such as the CMHR are developed, they will try to get funding from the Government, then ask Canadians what they want to see in the Museum, long before the first shovel was planted into the ground.
They should have been asking Canadians this question at least 4 years ago.

37Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:
For myself, it is the lack of information about what is going to be included in the Museum. I have tried to obtain this info, but it seems to be elusive. I think if the Canadian public is picking up 2/3 of the tab, they should have the right to know.

Of course, Gail Asker keeps ducking that issue, and insisting it will be a big "surprise."

ARe you referring to specific galleries, displays or just the content as a whole, ie just a place to go and be depressed about what has happened over the last couple of centuries.

38Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Anonymous

^
That's the point. We don't need this monument to Asker.

39Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:

ARe you referring to specific galleries, displays or just the content as a whole, ie just a place to go and be depressed about what has happened over the last couple of centuries.

Content as a whole. It would be nice to see what my tax money is spent on.

40Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the content as a whole... or at least ideas on what the content would be without any specifics has always been available. Since goverment has agreed to make it a federal institution the mantra has always been the board will decide on final stuff. You would think that after this much time they would have decided by now but I guess we all just get to be surprised.

41Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

I was speaking to a friend about the whole tour of Canada to determine public input into the museum. He said that it's complete BS, because they have already decided these things but have to have the tour so they can say that they "consulted with Canadians." He said the CRTC does the same sort of thing.

42Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think the "Big Surprise" mentioned by Gail Asper is going to be:

1) The Aboriginal revolt when they are trucked in or bused in to view the Museum by force!
Triniman- Why would you expect to know what is to be included? That is going to be a surprise, but I spoke to Gail on the week- end and she said for you to email her and she would be happy to email you back on their secretive, surprise plans, as long as you promised not to tell anyone!

http://www.elansofas.com

43Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Anonymous

Triniman wrote:I was speaking to a friend about the whole tour of Canada to determine public input into the museum. He said that it's complete BS, because they have already decided these things but have to have the tour so they can say that they "consulted with Canadians." He said the CRTC does the same sort of thing.

Cannot say I am surprised.
I figured this whole open house idea was just a PR move by the CMHR, and nothing serious will come of it.

44Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Anonymous

You are correct there. This all part of the smoke and mirrors.

45Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:57 pm

anny

contributor
contributor

Triniman wrote:I was speaking to a friend about the whole tour of Canada to determine public input into the museum. He said that it's complete BS, because they have already decided these things but have to have the tour so they can say that they "consulted with Canadians." He said the CRTC does the same sort of thing.

They've probably decided overall exhibit themes, but I highly doubt the directors are finished choosing artifacts, writing information, filming videos, etc. Also, the first exhibits aren't going to be exhibited forever.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

46Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman wrote:Just a question to those who don't support the museum, why not vent your displeasure on the 3 levels of government, all of which have made significant contributions to the project? When the Aspers came calling all the politicians had to do was just say "No"!!

Hmmm....good point. I suppose though it is easier to call a Zionist Conspiracy. Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 27789

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

47Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anny wrote:

They've probably decided overall exhibit themes, but I highly doubt the directors are finished choosing artifacts, writing information, filming videos, etc. Also, the first exhibits aren't going to be exhibited forever.
Those very very few artifacts are going to cost a considerable amount of money considering that the few that exist are already part of someone else's collection.

48Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:I tried writing to the CMHR and the Provincial Government about this issue, but have yet to receive a response, except an automated one from the Province. Mainly I wanted to know what was to be included in the Museum.

I wrote to the Doer gov't, to voice my concerns about them possibly contributing funding above and beyond the original agreement. I received a form letter from one of their ministers saying how great it was going to be, without addressing my concerns. Not impressed.

49Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Attitudes were way more positive 2 years ago on this forum!

http://www.elansofas.com

50Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:15 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

The attitudes will only get worse going forward. Rosen what they need you to do is invest heavily in Lotto Max so you can donate $30m to their bottomless pit. With your record of support they could even put you on the payroll as an Assistant to the Assistant Director of Furniture Procurement.

51Should the taxpayer fund museums? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the taxpayer fund museums? Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Hey, Jondo! Rosen resembles those remarks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum