the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

WiseUp.com launches Photo Radar Public Awareness Campaign

+3
eastsider
Deank
grumpy old man
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

PRESS RELEASE

WiseUp Winnipeg will be hosting a public event on Saturday October 10th at the southwest greenspace corner of Bishop Grandin & St. Mary’s Rd, from 1pm – 2pm to give away 1,000 information placards for the purpose of raising public awareness of Photo Radar Enforcement including how this so-called safety program in fact makes our roads and intersections more dangerous.

WiseUp Winnipeg is the effort of two local citizens to educate Winnipeggers on the facts of photo radar enforcement – including the false claim that the program has had a positive impact on safety in the City of Winnipeg.

Larry Stefanuik is a retired Police Constable (Winnipeg Police Service - Traffic Division). Larry has, for more than a year, openly disputed the photo-radar enforcement positions taken by the City and Province, showing rather that the program is a detriment to safety and is purely a revenue program. By using Low Speed Thresholds, Inadequate Amber Times and Inadequate Signage , the program sets up motorists and produces “violations”.

Todd Dube is a Winnipeg businessman who shares Mr. Stefanuik’s motivation to inform the public of the facts and history of photo radar enforcement. Mr. Dube provided for the cost of the awareness placards. “To me photo-radar represents more than just the cash-grab that it certainly is – it’s also symbolic of how far we’ve let our governments and bureaucracies run amok. Our politicians and police should be ashamed of themselves for employing the word “safety” in their notional pursuit of fundraising from vehicle owners. We hope citizens wise up and question this whole program including how it is that we listen endlessly to politicians talk about complexities, legislation and other obstructions that impede them from making real progress on issues, including real public safety issues, yet a few can get together on a Friday night and change the wording of the law so that not only can this fundraising scheme continue – it also doesn’t have to refund its ill-gotten gains. Larry has been ignored by the establishment long enough and it’s time the public delivered the message that ignoring the facts is no longer an option. They cannot support their claim of improved safety, which is required for the programs’ continued existence and it’s time they answered on it.”

Mr. Stefanuik has presented qualified research to the attention of City Councillors and Provincial MLA’s. This research discredits the leading report used by camera companies to sell photo radar enforcement and reveals that adding one second to the amber light time virtually eliminates red light violations, speeding through the intersection and brings a high reduction to all types of intersection collisions. The research proves that an inadequate amber length creates a Dilemma Zone. This Zone causes motorists to make a split second decision to either brake hard (risking rear end collision), maintain speed (risking violation within the 1st second of the signal change) or accelerate to get through and risk momentarily rising above a low speed threshold setting. This Dilemma Zone is the main contributor to violations and rear-end collisions. It is estimated that 80% of red light tickets issued occur within a fraction of the first second of the signal change to red. This first second is not a factor in collisions, as both signal directions are red for one second.

Mr. Stefanuik has exampled the case of a 64 year old Grandmother who was driving 11 kph under the speed limit when she entered an intersection with an inadequate amber time of 3.9 seconds. Due to aged signals, the amber time is frequently lower than the City of Winnipeg minimum standard of 4.0 seconds. In this case, the Grandmother entered the intersection during the first 10th of a second of it being red. Had the Amber been set at the City stated minimum, she would not have received a ticket. How many other motorists have been wronged in this fashion? With intersection lengths ranging from 40’ to 70’, it is neither logical nor reasonable to have all Ambers set at 4.0 seconds (or less).

Other jurisdictions that have adopted the extra second, or were forced by legislation to adopt it, saw an average 80% reduction in tickets and a 50% - 80% reduction in all collisions. Most cities removed their cameras due to a lack of revenue and were actually losing money trying to catch the hazardous ‘red light runner’.

We challenge the City to start adopting real methods of making our streets safer and suggest that they should immediately apply the widely known and available research conclusions and add a mere second to the top two violation-producing cameras in the City - and let the results speak for themselves!

The City should also implement traffic softening methods near playgrounds, school yards and Construction zones.

Photo Enforcement is the least effective means of making streets safer yet it is the one most relied on in Winnipeg.

Larry Stefanuik challenges the Mayor, the Premier, the Provincial Justice Minister and the Chief of Police to have an open, public debate with him on the facts of photo radar. Mr. Stefanuik will attend any media venue for that purpose – with one or all of these parties attending.

Below is the front and back of the placards to be given away to the public.

WiseUp.com launches Photo Radar Public Awareness Campaign Gview

Also visit www.wiseupwinnipeg.com for further details along with downloadable copies of dilemma zone research and other pertinent documents and reports.

For further information, questions or interviews - contact Larry Stefanuik at 781-9929 or email to larry@trafficticketguru.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This initiative is launched by two members of the winnipeg sandbox who are fed up with the hypocrisy of city and provincial politicians and bureaucrats. If you too are fed up then plan to attend a media event on Saturday October 10th at the southwest greenspace corner of Bishop Grandin & St. Mary’s Rd, from 1pm – 2pm.

3WiseUp.com launches Photo Radar Public Awareness Campaign Empty Wise Up Winnipeg Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 am

Anonymous

I came across this this am...

...an ex-cop from traffic wants the city to come clean on speed enforcement.

"By adding one second to the amber lights, it would eliminate the need for red light cameras...."

http://www.wiseupwinnipeg.com./

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah... GOM posted it all already Smile

GOMs is far more informative Smile

Anonymous

Oops. Sorry. I missed the other post.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Interesting post on ManitobaPost today.

http://manitobapost.blogspot.com/2009/10/wiseupwinnipegcom-and-concerned.html

Seems a fella parked behind one of those photo radar devices with a sign and was hassled by three cops. Anyone wanna have some fun? I'll park behind one of those tax-grab vehicles while someone stands by with a video camera to record everything that happens. From a safe distance. Don't want to impede the pursuit of "justice" eh?

Anyone got any advise should the police approach someone in such a situation? Is an average citizen compelled to leave one's car and sit in a cruiser at the invitation of a cop? Does the cop have to explain why he is interfering with one's freedom of speech?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Police do have the right to ask you for your ID and such if they believe you are breaking the law.

Whoops whats that the dude was not breaking the law by doing that? Thats not actually obstruction of justice.. Well thanks for telling me that judge. I guess I will know for next time.

Police dont have to be right to charge you with something. They just have to suspect they are right.

Do you have the time and the money to fight their charge?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I suspect the mere presence of a video camera will moderate their behaviour. This horsh1te needs to stop. I'm willing to fight the good fight...

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

They're making a killing on the diamond lanes too.......going eastbound down Regent Avenue the diamond lane is only a diamond lane during rush hour, not full time, I see people getting nabbed there left and right.Downtown my coworker was nailed for being in the diamond lane for 1.5 blocks instead of just the one block. Thats my rant for the night!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I thought diamond lanes were not yet law? oo wait no its photo radar can not yet be used for diamond lanes right?

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Never understood what the big fuss was about.

Obey the speed limit and stop at red lights, or pay a fine.

Simple as that.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Are you also okay with the police barging into your home without a search warrant in the hopes to catch you spanking your wife?

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Holy non sequitur, batman!!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh... just sayin... a judge has ruled its illegal to use photo radar when a worker is not present, but instead of allowing that ruling to stand the government backed down and let the case drop for another reason.

so since its still technically illegal to use photo radar when workers are not present.. why are we still doing it?

Just because people are breaking the law and speeding it is okay to break the law and use photo radar? NO. Just the same as its not legal for police to enter your home for no reason. We have laws, police above everyone else, must follow those laws.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

What's the point of having laws if they can't be enforced?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Thats what I am asking you as well.

257.1(2) of the the HTA states specifically when it is LEGAL to use photo radar. A judge has interpreted this to mean when a road worker is present. Also, the mayor and the justice minister have both said they are against photo radar tickets being issued when no road worker present.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h060_2e.php#257.1(2)

Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), when municipalities and peace officers acting on behalf of municipalities or the government use image capturing enforcement systems for speed limit enforcement, they may only use them to detect speed limit violations that occur 

(a) in construction zones, playground zones and school zones; and 

(b) at intersections that are controlled by traffic control lights.

No mention about workers being present.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but that is NOT what a judge deteremined when reviewing the cases that got the 9 tickets tossed.

The government had two choices.
1. Dont fight what the judge said and acknowledge that the law actually means only when a worker present.

2. Fight what the judge said and get a higher court to say he was wrong.

instead they chose option 3. Totally drop the case for a completely different reason. THUS leaving the ruling in limbo as if it never happened. Pretty crafty eh? Too bad that the Mayor and Justice minister both said it was ridiculous to be handing out tickets when no workers present. Too bad that all it will take it someone else challenging them in court and getting the same judge.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'm not a lawyer, but AFAIK, the legislation remains in place until ammended, despite the judicial ruling.

Since the HTA falls under provincial jurisdiction, Mr. Katz's opinion has no relevance.

But if the Justice Minister agrees, then he should table the ammendments. 

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

School zone gets speed cam

By WINNIPEG SUN

A new traffic enforcement camera is up and ready to snap photos just west of downtown.

The Winnipeg Police Service announced yesterday the new camera has been installed at the intersection of Balmoral Street and Sargent Avenue, in a 50-km/h speed zone adjacent to Sister MacNamara School.

Police are advising motorists to exercise caution, abide by traffic laws and drive according to conditions of roadways.

Complaints

This is the 49th intersection camera to be installed in Winnipeg.

Const. Jason Michalyshen, a police spokesman, said continual complaints from the community was one reason this location was picked.

Police have received several reports of motorists speeding within and going through red lights in the school zone outside Sister MacNamara School, Michalyshen said.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

It'll be interesting to see the stat's pre-photo radar and post photo radar.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Having been through there many many times... I wonder how anyone could ever get up to speed in the area the traffic is usually so bad

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Traffic is bad during rush hour but I have come through there during school hours (afternoon and morning) and some of the drivers going north from Ellice are doing at least 70km's just so that they make the light at Sargent. And that particular school is quite busy in the evening as well, both winter and summer, inside and out with kids playing as well as community functions going on; the International Centre makes use of the building for some of their programming because it is close.
If you are doing only the 50km from Ellice you will not make the Sargent light for the most part. So if the camera is targetting the north bound traffic there will be a lot of tickets given out until people become familiar with it.

Last edited by holly golightly on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh definately a busy building.

Question though. Have there actually been any accidents there ever? yes yes , I hear you, why wait until there is an accident.

But thats not what I am infering. Putting in a camera unless it is very heavily advertised coming up to the spot where it is, and unless it works in all directions is not really going to do much for overall safety so the question remains, have there been accidents there? If so, and if it is such a dangerous place, why then are we not putting in traffic calming devices instead of just increasing our revenue?

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Traffic calming devises such as road humps are not something you can use on a major artery like Balmoral or Sargent. Yes there have been some pretty serious car accidents as well as pedestrian accidents (I have witnessed numerous ones both vehicle and tragically pedestrian). I haven't driven past there since the camera was put up so I don't know which direction it is aimed to catch. Logically it should catch those who are putting the kids at most risk which would be the north bound but then the argument for the south bound could be made as there is the crosswalk that is a block away that also has had numerous pedestrian accidents. I know most on here feel these things are a cash grab and to some extent some are, but if the cameras that are set up at school intersections save even one child's life, I say go for it and make them permanent, not part of the rotation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum