the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

13 Days and counting.....

+7
LivingDead
Electrician
AGEsAces
grumpyrom
Deank
Goth_chic
grumpy old man
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How long will it take the CMHR to answer my email?

13 Days and counting..... Vote_lcap9%13 Days and counting..... Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
13 Days and counting..... Vote_lcap0%13 Days and counting..... Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
13 Days and counting..... Vote_lcap9%13 Days and counting..... Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
13 Days and counting..... Vote_lcap0%13 Days and counting..... Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
13 Days and counting..... Vote_lcap82%13 Days and counting..... Vote_rcap 82% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

113 Days and counting..... Empty 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Anonymous

It's been 13 days since I emailed the Canadian Museum for Human Rights about what material they would be exhibiting, and what their projections would be in regards to the impact on the community (tourism, projected attendance, etc.).
Still no reply....

213 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I got a reply Monday morning at 10am. My email requesting business plan information was sent the previous Friday @ 5:43pm.

313 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Please share the info with the rest of us. :-)

413 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Anonymous

Goth_chic wrote:Please share the info with the rest of us. :-)

Yeah, GOM. Spill the beans...

513 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I did. It was posted Monday morning. That is precisely the problem with multiple threads. sh1t gets lost in the noise.

613 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:I did. It was posted Monday morning. That is precisely the problem with multiple threads. sh1t gets lost in the noise.

link me, Grumpy... rabbit

713 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Anonymous

nevermind found it:
"The Museum’s Board of Trustees and Management take their responsibility towards Canadians very seriously and recognize that Canadians expect their public institutions to govern themselves in a manner that embodies the highest standards of efficiency, effectiveness and accountability. As per our conversation this morning, the CMHR Corporate Plan Summary will be made public as soon as it is tabled in Parliament, as is the practice with all other federal Crown Corporations.

In 2008-2009, we will spend approx. $3.1 million with about 20% going towards salaries and various contracts. These salaries are for staff being hired to ensure that the Museum consults extensively with Canadians; can be opened quickly; and is a fully operational Crown Corporation with all of the necessary accountability mechanisms. Part of the work to be accomplished includes moving forward with plans for construction, designing our organizational structure, developing pay scales and staffing levels, developing public and educational programs and curatorial and collections management plans.

It is anticipated that the Museum's annual operating budget will up to $21.7 million in 2012. We are developing operational plans that will be managed within this budget, recognizing that we will be faced with many pressures. The Government of Canada gave us a budget of up to $21.7 million to work with. Its experience with other national institutions and some early studies undertaken by the Friends led them to believe that this amount was reasonable for our operations. These plans that must be approved by Treasury Board before operational funds are provided to the Museum. Again, once these plans are approved and tabled in Parliament, they will be made public.

Our goal is to create an institution of which all Canadians can be proud.

Thank you for your question."

Regards, Angela

Angela J. Cassie

Director, Communications and Public Engagement | Directeur, Communications et Mobilisation du public
Canadian Museum for Human Rights | Musée canadien des droits de la personne

813 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Anonymous

I for one, am not impressed at that "response". Basically it fails to address the real issues that most of us want to know, like what material will be presented in the new CMHR. It also fails to address how it will be beneficial in any way, shape or form to the community.
In fact, I was just checking out the website. It anticipates thousands of jobs will be created, millions in tourism, and new hotels, businesses, etc will spring up once the Museum is completed. Yet nothing on what kind of material they will present at the museum.

Sounds like a lot of talk, backed up with no substance. Yet I continue to await a response from the CMHR....

913 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 pm

Anonymous

If the larger part of 20 mill spent in your community on its operating is not benifical suggest your province , take a 20 mill drop in your oil revenues.

1013 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

HurtinAlbertan wrote:I for one, am not impressed at that "response". Basically it fails to address the real issues that most of us want to know, like what material will be presented in the new CMHR. It also fails to address how it will be beneficial in any way, shape or form to the community.
In fact, I was just checking out the website. It anticipates thousands of jobs will be created, millions in tourism, and new hotels, businesses, etc will spring up once the Museum is completed. Yet nothing on what kind of material they will present at the museum.

Sounds like a lot of talk, backed up with no substance. Yet I continue to await a response from the CMHR....
Not true. The website contains plenty of references to content plans. I've provided several posts containing quotes from the website and their corresponding links.

That said kindly reciprocate: please provide links and quotes that substantiate this claim:
In fact, I was just checking out the website. It anticipates thousands of jobs will be created, millions in tourism, and new hotels, businesses, etc will spring up once the Museum is completed.

1113 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think the outlandish claims above are contained on the museum web site. Least not that I could find. Here is what I did find.
The Museum is envisioned to be built at the very crossroads of Canada, in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Why Canada?

* Canada is in a position to make an international impact: Other societies, which lack deeply-rooted democratic traditions, show little desire to protect the rights of women, workers, children, the poor, and minorities. This Museum could be a significant resource to these societies.
* Canadian Human Rights stories are compelling and inspiring: Canada has a story to share with the rest of the world that must emerge from textbooks, archives and boxes and be firmly planted into the consicousness (sic) of citizens of this country and of others. Our stories and our heroes define how we've evolved as a nation.
* A Canadian-made community/government partnership: Building and maintaining national institutions through public/private partnerships is an innovative first step in re-defining our approach.

Why Winnipeg?

* A Central Destination: Located in the geographic centre of North America, Winnipeg Canada is ideal for the student travel program and accessible to people from around the world.
* Breathtaking Historical Site: The Museum will be built at the Forks, the junction of the beautiful Red and Assiniboine rivers that has been a meeting place for thousands of years and is the place where First Nations peoples first assembled to settle disputes peacefully through negotiation.
* Inspiring Human Rights History: Winnipeg has a rich history of human rights struggles and heroes who made a substansive (sic) impact in Canada:
o Labour rights through the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919;
o French language and Métis rights through Louis Riel:
o Women's rights through suffragette Nellie McClung.
* City of Diversity: Winnipeg is a city of immigrants with dozens of ethnic and cultural communities - each of which has been touched by the issues that animate the field of human rights
* Human Rights Scholarship and Learning: Winnipeg is home to a growing centre for human rights scholarship and learning.

What are the benefits for Winnipeg & Manitoba?

* Increased number of tourists/visitors bringing new dollars into our economy that will positively affect the tourism and hospitality industry – will also help attract conferences to the city
* Research indicate a minimum of 250,000 visitations annually
* New jobs direct and indirect – 1,710 during construction / 495 jobs annually (high tech and high value jobs)
* Strong hospitality industry – need for new hotels, staff, restaurants etc..
* Catalyst to attract new business, immigrants and young people
* Tax revenues generated through the operation of the Museum – new dollars to our economy that will help benefit all Winnipeggers

1213 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Anonymous

Two things, off the bat, that seem questionable to me are:
*Research indicate a minimum of 250,000 visitations annually
495 jobs annually (high tech and high value jobs)
Before I'll believe them, I want some proof. Good luck with that eh.

1313 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Anonymous

How do you proof the future and of course these are projections , but even if we get 100 thou that's more then we got now so tell me what is wrong with that.
After they stay a night in a hotel motel buy dinner and whatever we win only a fool would think other wise . Sorry but I am tired of all you whiners and criers and bitchers about development .
Besides it will make up for the big payroll we will lose thanks to Stephen when he cans the Wheat Board .

1413 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Good luck with what eh?

I agree with Pavolo. Some of you peeps are too friggen much. Heh heh. Whatever.

You were/are a businessman J2F? You always 100% bang on with your business plan, estimates and costs? I'll bet the answer is a resounding no. But keep up the cheery optimistic and progressive outlook. Winnipeg needs many more with the same outlook and we're certain to flourish.

1513 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 am

Anonymous

Forget the Museum....
There is definitely one thing that would create community pride, attract tourists, and bring in possibly as many as 700,000 visitors a year.....

13 Days and counting..... Winnipeg-Jets

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

1613 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and that is????

1713 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:44 am

Anonymous

Yes and Iam sure That I go to Edmonton for the Oilers right .

1813 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Well the Jets did create a sense of community and pride. And they sure did attract tourists.

Just not 700,000. Maybe not 700,000 in their entire NHL existence.

But again peeps, we miss the point. One attraction does not make a city a tourist destination (except maybe the Niagara Falls). It takes many attractions to draw big numbers of tourists to a city like Winnipeg.

Does anyone really believe Winnipeg will ever be a big tourist magnet? Likely not. So why dwell on it.

1913 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:03 am

Anonymous

So now...you admit they are feeding us a bunch on nonsense then?

2013 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who is feeding us a bunch of nonsense? J2F, don't play games with me on this. I grow most weary of them.

2113 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am

Anonymous

Does anyone really believe Winnipeg will ever be a big tourist magnet? Likely not.
It appears you have put down the kool-aid and have now taken a realistic approach.

However, the Museum people seem to be telling us that a quarter of a million people will be coming here to see our exhibits on...no wait...they'll come just because of the Askers. Laughing

2213 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I agree with GOM on this one. Perhpas some of us are a bit too negative on any new development in this city. While the new museum may not ever attract the numbers quoted in the projections, it is a stepping stone towards creating more attractions that combined will hopefully draw more visitors to Winnipeg. Hopefully combined with further new developments in the future (new stadium, new indoor waterpark, IKEA, possible return of NHL hockey etc.) we will see an increase in the numbers of visitors who come not for one attraction but for a multitude.

I don't know about most people, but when I think about what place(s) I'm planning on visiting I don't go for any one single attraction. I try to go somewhere that has many new things to see and do. That's where I see the CHRM as a good thing that will put Winnipeg on the map for some certain groups seeing as it will be the FIRST national museum built outside of Ontario. Perhaps when they think about why they might want to check it out they'll also notice the other new ammenities we'll hopefully have by then. You don't build a tourist destination over night.

In my eye's any development that gives people more reason's to possibly come here is a good thing. Sometimes we just have to stop being so dang negative.

2313 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
Does anyone really believe Winnipeg will ever be a big tourist magnet? Likely not.
It appears you have put down the kool-aid and have now taken a realistic approach.

However, the Museum people seem to be telling us that a quarter of a million people will be coming here to see our exhibits on...no wait...they'll come just because of the Askers. Laughing

You also have to factor in that 250,000 visitors a year is not exactly as huge a number as it sounds. Assuming they open 300 days a year that's only a bit over 800 visitors a day on average. In an 8 hour day your talking 100 visitors an hour, that's not exactly huge numbers when you factor in school trips and other groups. I don't know first hand but is the 250k attendance figures a total number or is that for out of province visitors only?

As a total attendance figure I think 250K annually is easily attainable.

2413 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:39 am

Anonymous

That is funny...what else can one say??

800 people a day eh? Think about it...

2513 Days and counting..... Empty Re: 13 Days and counting..... Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I don't get your point JTF?
It may seem high to you, but it seems possible to me. I figure during the school year your going to have a lot of days where you have 200-500 school kids on field trips going down on a good portion of the weekdays just like the current Museum of Man and Nature, and on weekends I'd be willing to bet the place will be pretty packed for the first couple years with people who are curious to see something new and to see what all the hype is about.

During the summer months when the Forks is packed and people are attending ball games I don't see how you'd get less than 1,000 people on a Saturday or Sunday. But that's just me, maybe I see this as a possible success rather than assuming it will be a failure. Only time will tell.

However, I will end off saying that I know a ton of people who are constantly looking for new activities and places to see in the city. I'd bet that most of Winnipegers who have seen the vast majority of Winnipeg "sites" (what few we have) will be checking out the museum at least once. Many more will take visiting friends and family as it will be the new thing to see. Once again, maybe I'm being too much of an optimist but really how many times can you take visiting friends to the Forks before it get's really old. Something new to see will be a nice change.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum