the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

the zoo hates being busy.

+4
rosencrentz
Goth_chic
AGEsAces
Deank
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1the zoo hates being busy. Empty the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Zoo-wont-be-free-on-Canada-Day-124352799.html?commentConfirmed=y#comments

So.. lets get this straight.

They move the free weekend to be when
A) hardly anyone is visiting the city on vacation
B) weather is a toss up
C) kids are back in school
D) kids sports have started up again and many are in playoff/tryout mode
E) people are trying to get that one last trip to the beach/cottage in

WTF is wrong with these people? Why the hell do they hate being busy?

2the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Good for them.
And shame on the Winnipeggers who question it!!!

The fact that they even HAVE a free day is pretty amazing...compared to other zoos around North America...where the entrance fees are more than DOUBLE!!!

And they aren't getting rid of it...they are just moving it...and even adding another day!!!

And hopefully...by having a choice between two days to attend...the zoo won't get overcrowded...where you can't move, find a place to sit, or even see animals because there's too many idiots pressed up against the fences.
And hopefully people won't have to wait an hour in line to get some food at the overpriced and understaffed concession area.

http://www.photage.ca

3the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AA.. you probably dont know this, but not that long ago our zoo was free every day.

Its completely ridiculous of them and quite frankly of you to think this is a good thing.

This will mean 10s of thousands of people will not go. Which will mean a drastic lowering of the attendance numbers by year end, which will cause governments to question supplying money to them.

4the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Years of the Zoo being free took its toll. Winnipeg's zoo sucks and needs alot of work. Once you have seen world class zoo's like the San Diego Zoo you see what "free" has done to our zoo. It's a shame...

5the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am not saying it needs to be free all the time. But moving the FREE day to ensure you are not busy is asinine. If crowds are a problem. Then enforce a freakin limit on the number of people you allow into the park at any time.

6the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I went once on Canada day when it was free and it was horrible. It was jam packed and my kids couldn't see anything cause of the crowds, we left shortly after arriving.

7the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

exactly! so set a limit to the number of people allowed in. Thats a reasonable approach. Thats an approach every other venue in the city is required to do.

8the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

actually Dean...I did know that...and on one hand, I was impressed by that...however...

"you get what you pay for"...and a FREE zoo isn't REALLY free...it's subsidized...by everyone...and from what I understand...when it WAS "FREE" every day...it was still mostly empty.

Unfortunately...the zoo here has very poor management. They want to run the zoo like a museum...and expect to pay the bills. A zoo is supposed to be an ATTRACTION...which is designed to make money...so it can become a bigger & better attraction.

How would you like to drag your kids down there (you have what...4?) and be told "sorry, we've reached our quote for today...you should've arrive 3 HOURS ago? Or even worse..."yeah...you three...you can come in...but then we've reached our quota and the rest of you have to stay outside"

Again, I think a FREE DAY is a great idea...but only if it doesn't cause problems...which obviously on Canada Day it does.

9the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Or just do what they are doing and change the weekend. Works for me.

10the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but you guys are missing the point. that 30000 people who wont go. Not 30000 people who will go another day or got that day and pay.

11the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

not missing anything...

mark this post...

i'd be willing to bet on Canada Day, the zoo will still be packed (weather permitting)...probably a record day for paid entry.

And the new FREE days...will probably be record entry for those two days from previous years...and...

combined...the 3 days, will probably see MORE people go through the zoo than the years previous.

12the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The admission to the Zoo is not much at all...a family of 4 can get in for under $20.00, pretty reasonable so I agree with Ages that it will be busy.

I am taking the family to the San Diego Zoo and it will cost well over $100.00 for a family of 4. I guess you get what you pay for...

13the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Philadelphia Zoo is the same way...
Zoo Admission*

Adult $18
Child (age 2-11) $15
Child (under 2) FREE
Members FREE

And that's just to get in.
They have a train, a carousel, etc...which each costs extra.

And the Philadelphia Zoo is smaller in square feet than the Assiniboine.

14the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:10 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK- if you pick me up I will pay for you and me to get in. Leave your kids with the wife! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

15the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what is this some sort of gay cruise attempt?

I can tell you right now rosie, I cost way more then entry to the zoo.

16the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

throw in a pair of pants rosie...and i think you have him Wink

17the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL and breakfast!

18the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

see rosie...told ya he wanted to spend the night Wink

19the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Zoo-wont-be-free-on-Canada-Day-124352799.html?commentConfirmed=y#comments

B) weather is a toss up

The zoo SHOULD be free on a weekend when less people would use it.

a) Why should tourists get into the zoo for free? I don't see them paying property taxes

b) The weather could be a toss up at any time. Rain happens throughout the summer and its not like it will be snowing September. Wear a hoodie. You will live. Besides, who wants to wander around the zoo when its +30 outside? When its hot the indoor exhibits are stifling and all of the animals are usually hiding or sleeping.

c) Kids don't go to school on the weekend.

d) Boo hoo. Kids whose parents can afford organized hockey should be able to drop the $20 it would cost for a family of 5 to visit the zoo.

e) People that own a cottage can afford to pay the zoo admission too.

In addition to that. The Winnipeg Zoo sucks compared to other cities. Sure it is cheap, but it also FEELS cheap and depressing when you see how old and outdated the facilities are.

20the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

AGEsAces wrote:Philadelphia Zoo is the same way...
Zoo Admission*

Adult $18
Child (age 2-11) $15
Child (under 2) FREE
Members FREE

And that's just to get in.
They have a train, a carousel, etc...which each costs extra.

And the Philadelphia Zoo is smaller in square feet than the Assiniboine.

The Calgary Zoo costs about the same as that. Its a great zoo.

General Admission (16 - 59) $21
Senior (60+) $19
Child (3 - 15) $13
Infant (2 & under) Free

21the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Zoo-wont-be-free-on-Canada-Day-124352799.html?commentConfirmed=y#comments

B) weather is a toss up

The zoo SHOULD be free on a weekend when less people would use it.

a) Why should tourists get into the zoo for free? I don't see them paying property taxes

b) The weather could be a toss up at any time. Rain happens throughout the summer and its not like it will be snowing September. Wear a hoodie. You will live. Besides, who wants to wander around the zoo when its +30 outside? When its hot the indoor exhibits are stifling and all of the animals are usually hiding or sleeping.

c) Kids don't go to school on the weekend.

d) Boo hoo. Kids whose parents can afford organized hockey should be able to drop the $20 it would cost for a family of 5 to visit the zoo.

e) People that own a cottage can afford to pay the zoo admission too.

In addition to that. The Winnipeg Zoo sucks compared to other cities. Sure it is cheap, but it also FEELS cheap and depressing when you see how old and outdated the facilities are.

you people just dont get it.

The reason the Free day is so successful is because of all those things working for it. Moving it to a free weekend when it has so many strikes against it... is pretty much useless. Why even bother? Its not about paying the money... its about driving interest in the Zoo. Thats the entire reason for a free weekend.

Drive interest in the zoo.

22the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

It would seem Dean, you've had little marketing experience.

Want to know why SENIORS get discounts on Tuesdays at grocery stores?
It has nothing to do with being nice to seniors...it's because Tuesdays have been PROVEN to be dead days at grocery stores...so who can the stores attract? who is sitting at home on a Tuesday? Seniors...so let's give them an incentive to come in and shop a bit...by giving them 10% off their purchases....and it works!!!

So again, the zoo has not REMOVED their Free Day...they have MOVED it...expecting those who have, in the past, attended on Canada Day, might still come because they are off work, and it's something nice to do.
So ask the question..."why not august long weekend? or september long weekend?"...hmmm...maybe because those TOO are pretty busy.
So...let's look at the books of the zoo...odds are good that the weekend they picked, has NOTORIOUSLY been a bad (ie. not busy) weekend for them...so...let's drive some interest on a day when NORMALLY there isn't any...by making admission free...and ensuring concessions & gift shops are stocked...

Again...right now it's a "wait & see"...but let's review this again after Canada Day and again after the Free Days...and compare the numbers if possible...odds are good it will benefit the zoo in the end.

23the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

forkicks

forkicks

Have you been to the zoo lately? It sucks (more than normal), a lot of animals are not out as they are doing a lot of construction.

I think moving the free day is a great idea - I'd rather go when it isn't too busy, and there are already a lot of free events in the city on Canada Day - it's not like there won't be anything to do.

24the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:It would seem Dean, you've had little marketing experience.

Want to know why SENIORS get discounts on Tuesdays at grocery stores?
It has nothing to do with being nice to seniors...it's because Tuesdays have been PROVEN to be dead days at grocery stores...so who can the stores attract? who is sitting at home on a Tuesday? Seniors...so let's give them an incentive to come in and shop a bit...by giving them 10% off their purchases....and it works!!!

So again, the zoo has not REMOVED their Free Day...they have MOVED it...expecting those who have, in the past, attended on Canada Day, might still come because they are off work, and it's something nice to do.
So ask the question..."why not august long weekend? or september long weekend?"...hmmm...maybe because those TOO are pretty busy.
So...let's look at the books of the zoo...odds are good that the weekend they picked, has NOTORIOUSLY been a bad (ie. not busy) weekend for them...so...let's drive some interest on a day when NORMALLY there isn't any...by making admission free...and ensuring concessions & gift shops are stocked...

Again...right now it's a "wait & see"...but let's review this again after Canada Day and again after the Free Days...and compare the numbers if possible...odds are good it will benefit the zoo in the end.

no.. its not a wait and see, they have said that they are moving it permanently, without even doing a wait and see.

and AA I have far more marketing experience and knowledge then I care to think about. The only thing this will do is lower their numbers yearly numbers by 20000 visits, and piss an enormous number of people off who wont get the message that its not free that day.

25the zoo hates being busy. Empty Re: the zoo hates being busy. Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Sorry, Dean, but I find myself agreeing with the rest of the posters here.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum