the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pieces fall together for commercial complex in Downtown Winnipeg core

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WINNIPEG'S downtown development agency is close to completing a land-assembly puzzle that should allow a Chipman family-owned commercial complex to rise on the north side of Portage Avenue.

On Tuesday, city council's downtown development committee will consider a CentreVenture plan to close part of a lane running between the MTS Exhibition Centre and the former Wild Planet building on Donald Street.

On its own, it looks like a routine move. But the lane closure represents the end of a two-year-old effort to quietly acquire parcels of land in the city block bounded by Portage Avenue, Donald Street, Ellice Avenue and Hargrave Street.

The Chipman-owned Longboat Development Corp., hopes to transform a chunk of the block into a commercial development that may include a hotel, a new commercial building and a 400-to-450-stall parkade.

"We're getting close," Longboat president Scott Stephanson said Wednesday in an interview. Tenants still need to be lined up in order to allow the project to proceed, he said. "It's a complicated process and a complicated project."

Longboat already owns three properties on the block: the Wild Planet building, the Alabama retail strip on Ellice and the Norlyn office building on Hargrave. CentreVenture and the Forks-North Portage Partnership own two Portage Avenue properties they intend to sell to Longboat at fair market value: the MTS Exhibition Centre and the Mitchell-Copp Building, respectively.

The lane between the exhibition centre and Wild Planet building is simply the last piece of the puzzle, said CentreVenture president and CEO Ross McGowan.

McGowan and Stephanson hope to announce details of the project at the end of June.
The parkade component is not a forgone conclusion, as the city has issued a public call for private partners interested in building a parkade with the help of $5 million derived from the city's sale of the Winnipeg Square parkade. Longboat is not the only interested applicant.

Whatever form it takes, the new project would be located across Portage Avenue from the MTS Centre, within an 11-block area of downtown the city intends to declare a new sports, hospitality and entertainment district, or SHED.

This zone would also encompass the Winnipeg Convention Centre, Metropolitan Theatre and Burton Cummings Theatre. Once the zone is enacted, some of the new property-tax dollars flowing from improvements within the SHED would be reinvested back into the immediate area, likely in the form of streetscaping and other infrastructure improvements.

Unlike the tax incentives in place to stimulate downtown housing in Winnipeg, this tax-increment-financing plan will not see any dollars flow back into developers' hands, McGowan insisted.

"It's for public-sector improvements, not private-sector developments," he said. "It's important the benefits of the redevelopment are equally shared."

McGowan also said the Portage Avenue redevelopment plan does not depend on an NHL franchise moving into the MTS Centre. And neither does the Longboat project in particular.
While a Chipman-owned hotel across Portage Avenue from the hockey arena would stand to benefit from NHL-related traffic, the Longboat plan does not depend on a NHL franchise moving to Winnipeg, McGowan said.

"This development really has nothing to do with the NHL. We've been working on this for 18 months," he said. "I don't think I can stress that enough."

-- with files from Murray McNeill

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

While I don't anticipate the downtown will be suddenly transformed overnight I do believe this will be part of a new one-two catalyst, the second being the return of the NHL, that will spur more development around the MTS Centre. I expect we'll hear soon about development on the parking lot across from the arena on Graham.

Add in more downtown housing and maybe we have turned the corner?

Tempered excitement...

Anonymous

As this is strictly a commercial enterprize, I sure hope no government money goes into it.

If it does, it is corporate welfare at its worst.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Have the Moose averaged 8000 per game? With the NHL there would be an increase to appx 15,000 per game and probably no money left for going to restaurants? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

This had damn well better not frick up the Wagon Wheel or I may have to kill someone

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:This had damn well better not frick up the Wagon Wheel or I may have to kill someone

Meh.

The Wagon Wheel is pretty overrated. It might have been good a decade or two ago. But I have had much better clubhouse sandwiches elsewhere.

To save you the agony, I suspect that Wagon Wheel will be gone once the development is in full swing.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

QUIET YOU... lest my cane find your backside!

heh. yeah.. almost no doubt it will be gone, its changed since the old guy died and I wonder if the family might just appreciate a good buy out.

Then again, commercial developments NEED restaurants too. Mayhaps they will offer them a spot. It is after all a Winnipeg institution.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

also.. its not just the sandwhich.. its the gravey and the shake too Smile

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Went to the Wagon Wheel a few times and have never been impressed.

I just hope at minimum that the facade for the Mitchell Copp building is be incorporated. That is probably my favourite building in the city. Queen City Kids recorded their second album there!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum