the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

hoyl crap!! tthe anti-cons were right...soldiers in the streets

+4
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
Outsider
Deank
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

There is a picture on page 5 in today (Mondays) Winnipeg Sun taken at 18 th Street and Grand Valley Road in Brandon.
What that picture does not show is the camera man is standing on the street with his back to the entrance to Brandon's Major Box Store Shopping Mall.
Each layer of bags on that dike is about 3-4 feet high.
On Sunday that dike was stopping 5-6 feet of water (IMO) from flooding that shopping centre as well as many homes and other businesses which are not part of that mall.
I felt pretty damn insignificant when I was sitting in my car at that light and realized how much water was coming from the West.
IMO, if that dike was to collapse the mall would be under 4 feet of water within 15 minutes.
And I was really grateful that those people were risking their lives to put up the that extra layer of sandbags.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup crazy amount of water

Anonymous

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on flooding in Manitoba

May 8, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on flooding in Manitoba:

“Earlier this evening I spoke with Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger regarding the heavy floods that have hit the province this spring.

“At the request of the Government of Manitoba, our Government is sending the Canadian Armed Forces to help ensure the safety of those affected by the floods.

“The City of Brandon, Manitoba, declared a state of emergency today, and water levels on the Assiniboine River continue to rise. Our troops will work with local officials there and in other impacted areas of the province to assist Manitobans in need and evacuate those in harm's way.

“I know Manitobans will show the resolve and courage they have demonstrated in the past when facing great adversity. Our thoughts and prayers are with the residents of Manitoba as they endure the devastating effects of these floods.

“On behalf of all Canadians, I hope for an early end to the flooding and a return to safe conditions.”

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You are all aware that it is harper and the conservatives fault that Manitoba floods arntcha?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

of course it is. And lucky for us we have the NDP to fight them... err I meant fight the flood.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I think an announcer on CBC summed it best for me.

They said a dike in Brandon was holding back enough water, to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool...in 4 seconds.

THAT'S A LOT OF WATER!!!

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats one strong and very large woman.

Anonymous

AGEsAces wrote:I think an announcer on CBC summed it best for me.

They said a dike in Brandon was holding back enough water, to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool...in 4 seconds.

THAT'S A LOT OF WATER!!!

The force of moving water is extraordinary considering a cubic foot of water weighs 62 pounds.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:thats one strong and very large woman.

Now that's funny.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd heard the same thing except it was one pool every two seconds. Two or four the number is impressive.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:You are all aware that it is harper and the conservatives fault that Manitoba floods arntcha?

Most of the water is coming from constituencies held by the NDP, just another reason to vote them out in October.

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

Water into going to be diverted to the La Salle "Ricer" watershed.
hoyl crap!! tthe anti-cons were right...soldiers in the streets 5704948537_4428014867_b

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

How the heck do they intend to control the size of the hole in the dike after it is made?
Once the water starts to pour through the hole won't the water make the hole bigger the same way water erodes the river banks? scratch

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I expect they are better able to manage a "controlled" break than an uncontrolled break. That's the whole point.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:I expect they are better able to manage a "controlled" break than an uncontrolled break. That's the whole point.
The only way they will be able to control the size of the hole is if they send the water through a big cement or metal culvert.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont get how they are directing water into the La Salle.

also.. huh. thats a lot of water to fit it one tiny little asian import vehicle

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

all sorts of editor missing problems with freeps articles today

"Inflows at the Portage Diversion will be increased to provide maxiumu
protection to properties on the Assiniboine River east of Portage la
Prairie, the province says."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/flood/interlake/Lake-Manitoba-to-see-highest-levels-in-50-years-province-121513374.html

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:I expect they are better able to manage a "controlled" break than an uncontrolled break. That's the whole point.
The only way they will be able to control the size of the hole is if they send the water through a big cement or metal culvert.
Okay fine.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL.. and some people actually are suggesting a hole be dug to catch all the water

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/manitoba-break-dikes-battle-record-floods-005526941.html

(check comments section)

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

anyone else wonder if this was perhaps planned all along?

I just cant see Saskatchewan and Manitoba flood forecasters in this day and age being this wrong about the amount of water.

Selinger government NEEDS a disaster that they can handle and be seen as heros or else their chances of reforming a government are very low. The normal RED river flood ending up being not to bad and nothing really noteworthy happened.

what to do... what to do.....

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Well that presumes the nippers are smart enough to "manufacture" a disaster. I understand the whole problem stems from a faulty gauge in Saskatchewan that fed everyone the wrong numbers. That alone is hard to fathom. After all they have to calibrate blood-alcohol machines seemingly every 5 minutes. Did it not occur to these deep-thinkers to actually test the equipment they rely upon to manage potential disasters?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I thought they backed away from that excuse?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

"I want to stress that the gauge on the Qu'Appelle River did result in a minor revision to the forecast on Friday. But it is not the key factor," he told a news conference in Winnipeg.
Sounds like ashton does not want to admit they've fricked up... Typical political bafflegab.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum