the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free anti Virus, anti spyware ,anti malware? Why need a credit card?

+5
Triniman
grumpy old man
Winklovic
grumpyrom
rosencrentz
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just installed another 3rd free whatever and damn it lots of danger and for 29.95 will solve the problem.
Is there any free programs out there that are recommended ?
I had to undo McAfree, and Norton to get this one and it also wants money.

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Microsoft Security Esentials, free, no credit card needed. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things.

For antivirus you can also try Avast, they also have a free home version. I've been running it for years with no problems.

I'd recommend running the Norton Removal Tool straight from Norton to remove Norton permanently from your system. Norton is notoriously difficult to get rid of properly.

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Microsoft Security Esentials, free, no credit card needed. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things.

That's what I use and it's been trouble-free and reliable.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I use Microsoft Security Essentials also. I think as a result of a recommendation from someone on a similar thread here in the sandbox. No problems to report.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

that is the one I hooked up, but it says there are a lot of bad guys on the system lready and I don't see how to get rid of the bad guys

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Back up your data, then reinstall Windows, then install MS Essentials and or a free AV program. You should have the recovery disc for expee.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pig latin to me!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Pig latin to me!
\
Ask your computer expert friend to explain it to you.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

He is mad at me for installing or uninstalling some of his stuff! LOL
This new program doesn't want me to have any competing software programs so it brings up all the programs currently installed and expects me to uninstall the competing ones. Yuk, that would mean I would have to delete all programs, as I have no clue which are the competing ones.
This microsoft security essentials tells me how many infected whach a ma collets I have but won't remove them. They are all small infections.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

First of all, you can't have more than 1 antivirus programming running on your computer at the same time...that will only cause problems and none of them will work correctly. If you didn't remove McAffee, or Norton before adding MSE then your going to have a giant mess.

Secondly, now that you likely have a giant mess and your Windows registry is likely screwed you really should follow Triniman's advice to backup your data and reinstall Windows. This will do wonders for how your computer runs.

Thirdly, if you have no idea what Triniman or myself are talking about you probably shouldn't be adding or removing any software from your PC. I would suggest getting your computer expert friend to backup your data, do a fresh Windows reinstall and antivirus install for you, place your user data back on your PC for you and then set up a GUEST account for you with no admin privelleges. This will prevent you from being able to make any accidental changes to your laptop which may cause future harm. If you need to add or remove anything in the future you would have to contact your friend but it would keep you from making any changes that do more harm than good.

Hope this makes sense.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

All good advice, especially the bit about the account that does not have admin privileges.

Although, you should also know the password for the Administrator account so that you can add programs on your own, then log out and log back in with a non-admin account. Your friend might not be into installing software for you all the time.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I could be wrong but it seems from what has been mentioned that part of the problem for Rosen is being able to add/remove programs which is why I suggested the guest account. If he's anything like my parents, giving him access to the admin account would eventually lead to only using the admin account all the time. It took me ages to get my mom to stop doing that, even now when I use her PC I find stuff installed on it that she doesn't know how it got there. In cases like her's it's best to limit the amount of trouble she can get herself into.

The best thing for Rosen may be to take some classes to get a better understanding of how Windows works.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Agreed. Also, though.

Pick people's brains, Rosen, the next time you meet a forum member for breakfast.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

you all sound like my son, who used to tell me to get a book! lol

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

I'm on AVG, and I hate all the crap they've bundled with it. Now I've got yahoo tabs and tool bars, I've got random video players, and just junk. I can't even remove this crap.

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

grumpyrom wrote:Microsoft Security Esentials, free, no credit card needed. I haven't tried it personally but have heard good things.

For antivirus you can also try Avast, they also have a free home version. I've been running it for years with no problems.

I'd recommend running the Norton Removal Tool straight from Norton to remove Norton permanently from your system. Norton is notoriously difficult to get rid of properly.

+1

MSE or Avast are both good. Run either one and you'll be fine.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I removed norton and McAffree, and I think Avast because I was tired of hearing 6 times a day that Avast has just did something like coming on.
MSE is up but wants money to remove the existing whatever is infected.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

wpg_idiot wrote:I'm on AVG, and I hate all the crap they've bundled with it. Now I've got yahoo tabs and tool bars, I've got random video players, and just junk. I can't even remove this crap.
Heh, love those "bundles" eh?

Yeah, ya gotta be careful when loading those programs (and the subsequent upgrades). They always ask if you want to install their toolbar (or someone else's toolbar) and other programs. Just gotta click NO when asked.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

AVG has had some very high profile problems lately, I know at least 2 people that had their systems pooched by one of their updates. Both have since switched to MSE. I personally would not trust it now, there is no way a antivirus update should be causing BSOD's, free or not.

And ya, just like everything else in life there really is nothing for free. You really need to pay attention to what your doing when installing free software, most of them include stuff like Yahoo or Ask.com toolbars by default. They rely on the fact that most people don't pay attention and just click "next,next,next" till done. If you pay attention you can avoid adding the crapware.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Oh, and BTW you can disable the notifications in Avast in the program settings if they bother you.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

In case anyone was worried about why I haven't been posting much this morning, I have untill jan 3 or 4 to pass the time, and with no tv except I founf free tv programs, but they are loading too slow this morning.
lol
watched the 1st 2 programs of "24" from 9 years ago.
Riveting performance from Jack Bauer, and so young looking, for the grandson of Tommy Dougles.

Any way I have the following programs on my computer: I am not sure if I managed to get them all this morning or not? Which should I be taking out from my /uninstall ?
Uniblue Regustry
Spyware Doctor w/ anti virus
Blinkx Beat
Driver Detective
Sdasetup
Driver Boost
K-LitecCodec Pack
Malwarbytes anti Malware
Mozilla Firefox
Panda Active Scan
PareoLogic PC Health Advisor
StopZilla
Television fanatic
Uniblue Registry Booster
Veoh Web Player
Winnipeg Sandbox Toolbar

Every "Free" clean up the 12,345 errors wants $29.95 or $29.90, and a credit card which I don't have. Anyone got a credit card # for this needed process?

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm guessing that whatever is asking you for $29 and a credit card to fix your "errors" is a virus of some sort. I highly reccomend reformatting and a fresh Windows reinstall. Your symptoms all sound very bad. Best to start fresh.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

my programs are at the office, and i will seee what i can do,but i am petrified that all the things that make it easy for me to check for emails and the banking will disappear if i start fresh.
Everything is a free scan and then a scam to spend the 29.95, except the last one knocked another 410 off, just before i deleted stopZilla

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Rosen, if your concerned with keeping things easy (email, internet, banking settings etc.) then please wait till you have some help transferring things over before you try reinstalling yourself. It will save you a world of grief, especially if you don't know stuff like your internet and email passwords and settings.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

thanks- will do

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum