the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Virus Warning for you guys

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Virus Warning for you guys Empty Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

Hey everyone, I just received this communication at work and thought i would share it with every one here to see if i can prevent some headaches for you guys!

Please share this information with your staff and colleagues

REMINDER: Please delete unsolicited emails
Recently there has been an increase in the volume of inbound spam email which appears to be coming from companies such as IKEA or Hallmark. This and other spam email will often contain an attachment(s) containing a virus. While our anti-spam, anti-virus solution is regularly updated multiple times throughout the day and it continues to identify the majority of spam being received in the environment, a portion of these unwanted emails are finding their way into our environment.

2Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ugg we get those communications en masse at work... BUT our SPAM notification stops them and sends everyone an email... this email appears to be SPAM if you do not think it is SPAM please click "not SPAM" and it will be moved to your inbox.

One moron or another here at work always clicks NOT SPAM and it ends up getting sent to all of us. So no matter how much security you have there is always an idiot who will leave the door unlocked and pin a message to the door saying "be right back... feel free to come inside and make yourself at home"

3Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:48 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

yea our servers catch most of it. but a few still sneak through and then people are like " YAY some actually loves me!" *click* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol

4Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah when I was there I was almost always the first one in the department at work.. or I would be working from home late at night when the emails came so I would often have to walk around and tell everyone in our department.. DO NOT CLICK THAT EMAIL.....and yet some people still did.

5Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I make it a habit of NEVER opening eMAIL attachments. NEVER. If I know the sender I save it, scan it and then open it. If I don't know the sender I simply delete any and all attachments.

6Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:I make it a habit of NEVER opening eMAIL attachments. NEVER. If I know the sender I save it, scan it and then open it. If I don't know the sender I simply delete any and all attachments.

Thats actually really smart. everyone should follow this.

7Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

meh. I open the ones I know to be safe. its pretty easy to actually tell when an email is just social engineered and has a misnamed attachment that in reality will infect you.
the best one I ever seen though was the MSN Messenger one that once you were infected... it would start up conversations with people on your messenger list.. and then get them to click on an attachment for download.
that was awesome. Called my sister up in the middle of the day and told her to disconnect her computer from the internet and immediatly do a scan since I knew her to be at work and her computer was chatting with me.

She got home... scanned... and it was something like 16 virii and trojans infected all over the place....

8Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Hey guys, since this is about geeky computer stuff...I moved it to the "Technical" section.

Continue discussions as though I'm not here Very Happy>

http://www.photage.ca

9Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Yeah , the flu virus just reached it's peak here today.
off topic
Since we're at it, is there a virus going around, making you update zonealarm?
The window keeps popping up, and when I do update, the next time I log back into the web, the same exact message appears...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

10Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you are not doing the update.. you are just downloading it. you still need to install the update manually.

11Virus Warning for you guys Empty Re: Virus Warning for you guys Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Me thinks the flu caught up to me... I knew I shouldn't have finished work early yesterday...
So now I'm stuck here typing nonsense and absorbing all the symptoms...
I think I'll absorb a mug of hot tea...

Last edited by Electrician on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hink t think)

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum