the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER

+2
grumpy old man
Deank
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:46 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

If you are driving down Kenaston at 30kmh in a 70 zone and are already leaving a 500 foot buffer in front of you, you are almost guaranteed to be rear ended when you decide to step on the brakes because the vehicle 500 feet in front of you slows down.

Listen lady driving the white hyundai I understand you might have walmart summer cruising tires on your car and your traction is very bad. But if it is that bad. STAY THE FRAK OFF THE DAMN ROAD.

moron. I truly due hope you get rearended sometime today.

2PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:01 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I encountered several of this type this morning also.

These people need to get off main roads wherever possible and get out of the way. Or take a bus.

And then there are those that are too lazy to clear the snow off their back windows. One twit even had a rear window wiper and STILL could not be bothered...

And lastly, no matter the weather or driving conditions if you are driving slower than traffic STAY FREAKING RIGHT!

3PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

HEY GOM...

I DID clear my back window this morning (cleared all my windows and most of my roof (the part i could reach))

By the time I drove two blocks...my back window was covered again...and my wiper was frozen so I couldn't use it.

Not saying it makes it all OK...just that IF a vehicle has side mirrors...why does it matter if the back window is cleared off? There are many vehicles that have walls/obstructions in the vehicles (K9 cages for one) which make it impossible to use the back window anyway.

http://www.photage.ca

4PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Why make back windows?

5PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

in some cases (most Big Rig Tractors) they don't.

But anyone who NEEDS a back window when they have mirrors on both sides of their vehicle, should turn their license in immediately.

A back window is great if you want to see the guy behind you waving a finger at you for driving like a dumbass...but they are really just there to let light in...and because cars did not USED to have mirrors on the right side at all. (you're old enough to remember that GOM...probably to remember that they didn't used to have seatbelts either)

6PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Back windows also reduce blind spots quite drastically since most vehicle side mirrors do not extend out far enough to be able to see everything.

7PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous

Side mirrors, if properly set, do not show the rear of the car but only the side.

The thing that bothers me about people that don't clear the snow from their cars is it then blows onto the car behind and, in some cases, blinds that driver.
That's ignorant.

Last edited by JTF on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

8PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:Back windows also reduce blind spots quite drastically since most vehicle side mirrors do not extend out far enough to be able to see everything.

I won't argue that...it's true..

Rear windows do help...especially that centre height, just above the trunk/tailgate edge.
For some reason that bicycle still ends up under the middle of the car when backing up though Wink.

It does go back to the testing of drivers though.
They actually tell you to turn around and look out the back window when backing up...not to rely on your rear-view mirror.

Personally, I think part of the test should be to put something over that rear-view mirror and the back window...and make people learn to use their side-mirrors.

I don't know HOW many people I know who laugh and joke that they "can't parallel park"...and I just want to slap them in the head and tell them to go hand their license back in...that they don't deserve to have it.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'm a slow winter driver. If my driving is causing you such frustration, leave work earlier. Smile

In all honestly, I just drive the conditions. And Friday's rush hour's conditions were dreadful, so I did 30kmph.

I also engage in hypermiling, so if my lane advances less than 3 or 4 car lengths and there's a red light ahead, sorry, but I'm not touching my gas pedal.

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

10PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

By all means drive to the conditions. But if most peeps are driving 60kph and you are driving 30? You are in fact creating a hazard and should be removed from the road.

11PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I have no problem with things like that ( and I too will simply idle up 3 or 4 lengths, in fact the one stretch of kenaston today I pretty much idled all the way from egez to just past Red river because that is how traffic was moving.. barely once needed to use my break and that was perfectly fine)

the problem is the moron like the lady in the white car. 500 freakin FEET in front of her of space, doing 30 in a 70, CAUSING more problems then she is preventing especially when she taps her brake to slow down just because the person 500 freakin FEET in front of her slows down slightly.

12PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

yeah...I never said go speeding around in this mess either.

But if you have vehicles passing on BOTH sides of you down Portage Ave as though you are parked...then maybe YOU are doing something wrong...or should not be on the road.

There's a difference between cautious/careful and paranoia.

13PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah, when I finally passed that woman she was definitely white knuckling it. gripping the steering wheel hard, pulled up closer ( yeah not such a good idea when you get in an accident)

14PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe she forgot to get the snow off her glasses...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

15PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:Side mirrors, if properly set, do not show the rear of the car but only the side.

How to set your side mirrors.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

16PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have also placed small concave mirrors on my side mirrors completely eliminating all blind spots along the sides of my car.

17PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah those little concave mirrors should be more widely advertised and the smart car companies would make them basic equipment on their cars. Funny how they used to be one most vehicles and then went away, but are finally coming back eh?

18PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Empty Re: PROTIP FOR THE OVERLY CAUTIOUS DRIVER Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I have them on my truck. They're great, especially when manouvering through streets full of stupid motorcyclists... (aka Italy).

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum