the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Memorial Park is Snowman City

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Memorial Park is Snowman City Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

ctvwinnipeg.ca

A group of men and women are lined up in Memorial Park, standing guard in front of the legislature and looking out into the snow.

They're snowmen, built by a group of snow enthusiasts on Saturday.

Sonja Lundstrom, Scott Madams and others got together to play in the park and leave snowmen behind for the city to enjoy.

"We've invited all of Winnipeg down to celebrate our wonderful snow and to have fun together," Lundstrom said. "We're building relationships and we're sending a great message to our city and our people about this gift that we've been given. And we're having fun. What could be better?"

They provided adornment for the snowmen, including coal eyes and red velvet hearts.
Memorial Park is Snowman City 470_snowmen_110115_430241
The group is promoting a new method of building snowmen, deciding against the traditional rolling of three balls—which can be a little challenging when they snow is dry in very cold temperatures.

Instead, they decided to shovel snow into clear plastic sleeves made from garbage bags with the bottoms cut off. Once the sleeve is packed tightly with snow, the sleeve is pulled off, leaving behind a column of snow that can be sculpted.

A video of that method can be viewed on the Snowman City Facebook page.

2Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous

Sonja Lundstrom, Scott Madams and others should be applauded for their efforts!!

....and...they're doing it for free!!!

Amazing eh?

3Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

and they just taught me a great idea for making a snowman with my daughter

we don't really have room in my small yard to roll balls around the yard...so i like that idea of the trash bags Smile.

http://www.photage.ca

4Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous

The best part of their method (can be done with cardboard boxes too) is that snowpeople (or sculptures) can be made with the snow we currently have, which is not very good for doing much of anything.

5Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:The best part of their method (can be done with cardboard boxes too) is that snowpeople (or sculptures) can be made with the snow we currently have, which is not very good for doing much of anything.

yeah, i thought of the cardboard boxes (or even some plywood)..but that makes squares instead of round...and it's quite cumbersome to maneuver.

maybe next weekend i'll try the bag thing though...see how it turns out....

anyone know where i can get a plastic bag 8' high? Very Happy.

6Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

how the hell are you going to get snow into the top of and 8 foot high one?

7Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Anonymous

With a snow ladder of course.

Use one 4 footer and just keep moving it up (perhaps). The box works for a sculpture or square snowmen. Smile

8Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Well I just fill two and then once its settled and frozen I pick the second one up and put it on top.

(put a long piece of plastic underneath or simply dont open the bottom of the garbage bag and when you move it, cut the bag off)

9Memorial Park is Snowman City Empty Re: Memorial Park is Snowman City Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

we have a deck near where we'd build the snowman...so getting the snow in won't be that hard...just shovel it off the deck.

and...it won't be 8' high all the way up...it would be bunched up on the ground, and only pulled up as required as it filled.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum