the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg

+2
Freeman
RogerStrong
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

11957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

Yesterday I found out about a Feb 16th 1957 plane crash in Winnipeg. This one was a Mitchell bomber that was coming in from Vancouver, skipped the last refueling stop, and ran out of fuel on approach to the Winnipeg airport.

It came down on three houses adjacent to the airport. There were no deaths or major injuries.
(What I have so far)

Does anyone know where / what street this was on?

21957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There a few guys on this forum that should remember that one, after all, they also went for drinks with Orville and Wilbur after their first flight.

31957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Doesn't the guy who invented fire post here?

Either way, this sounds interesting! I'd love to hear more about this crash!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

41957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sounds familiar. There was a more recent crash (on McPhillips?) that occurred for the same reason. And then there was the infamous Gimli Glider.

51957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:35 am

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Friends of mine own a business at Logan and McPhillips, and it's fascinating to hear them tell the story of the plane crash and helping people out.

Scary to think how close this plane crash was to the CO-OP propane and gas tanks! Can you imagine...

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

61957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

Winnipeg was an air training base for a long time.

In the 1920s and 1930s, de Havilland Moth crashes in Winnipeg were common enough to be considered a form of precipitation.

In the 1950s if you wanted a Beechcraft Expeditor, all you had to do is by a property around Winnipeg and wait.

(The 1972 crash on Linwood Street in St. James that killed 9 people, was a Beechcraft Super 18 - the civilian version of the Expediter. The model was replace by the Beechcraft Queen Air, one of which landed on a geologist sitting in his office on Dublin Ave in 1987.)

71957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

Mantha wrote:Friends of mine own a business at Logan and McPhillips, and it's fascinating to hear them tell the story of the plane crash and helping people out.

Scary to think how close this plane crash was to the CO-OP propane and gas tanks! Can you imagine...

I waited for 15 minutes at that intersection, transferring between buses. The bus came, and it couldn't have been more than three minutes before I got off on Jarvis. The fire trucks went by as I crossed the street, on their way to the crash.

81957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:59 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Discovery Channel had the story of the Gimli Glider on (again) last night, and no matter how many times I see that story, I am still amazed.

So many things went right on that day, considering how dumb the initial mistake was and that takes nothing away from the skill and heroism of the crew.

91957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

Freeman wrote:considering how dumb the initial mistake was

There was no real dumb mistake that caused it. The crew had good reason to believe that they had enough fuel, for example.

That was a case of a whole bunch of things adding up: A new, unfamiliar jet. The first to not have a third crewman in the cockpit - a dedicated engineer to handle fuel, etc. The air crew throught the ground crew took over responsibility. The ground crew thought it was still the air crew's responsibiliy. The first use of metric in refueling. A ground crewman who converted gallons (used by the fuel truck) to kilograms (used by the aircraft) instead of gallons to litres and THEN litres to kilograms. A pilot who signed off on the conversion because he saw the correct metric conversion factor - but not that it was applied improperly. A faulty fuel sensor controller. A bad judgement call on that sensor by a ground technician. Etc.

Most modern airliner disasters are like that. With all the safety procedures, it takes a highly unlikely combination of a bunch of things to go wrong.

101957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

No REAL dumb mistake? Au contraire mon frere...

REAL fricken dumb mistake. By Boeing. By Air Canada. By the ground crew. By the flight crew.

This was a situation that SCREAMED double and triple and quadruple checking.

111957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm sorry, but no matter how you cut it, running out of fuel in mid flight is a pretty dumb mistake. Blame whoever or whatever you want, but it was just plain dumb. This is not your lawnmower running out of gas before you finish, lives are at stake and its not like you can sit on the side of the road and wait for some friendly Hutterite to come by to help you out. It was just dumb.

121957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

grumpy old man wrote:This was a situation that SCREAMED double and triple and quadruple checking.

They DID have double and triple and quadruple checking. As shown above, it wasn't that simple.

The biggest mistake was by Air Canada management. At a time when an engineer was needed the most - a new jetliner AND it being the first to use metric - they dropped the engineer without delegating his responsibilities to others.

The fuel sensor controller - the first check - was faulty. The ground technician misdiagnosed it and put it back into service - the second check. The ground crew did the metric conversion to calculate the fuel in the plane - the third check - but applied it incorrectly. They had the paperwork signed off by the pilot, who saw the correct conversion factor - the forth check. Both thought the other was ultimately responsible, ultimately the expert on the conversion, so they trusted the math of the other.

A fifth check: With less fuel - less weight - the plane had a very impressive climb rate. On an earlier aircraft this would have been alarming. On the new 767, well, it had an impressive amount of power.

131957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:30 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That makes it a real dumb mistake in my books. Absolve whomever youse like: the ground crew made a major mistake. You don't know how to convert to metric? You find out. A dumb mistake. By everyone involved.

Not sure why this is even debatable.

141957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I guess on a somewhat related note...
Air Canada jet makes emergency Winnipeg landing

CBC News

Emergency crews surround an Air Canada jet that made an emergecy landing in Winnipeg on Wednesday. (CBC)

A cracked windshield forced an Air Canada pilot to make an emergency landing in Winnipeg on Wednesday afternoon.

There were no injuries when Air Canada Flight 169 landed at the James Richardson International Airport at about 2:15 p.m. CT, according to the Winnipeg Airport Authority.

The Airbus passenger jet was on its way to Vancouver from Toronto and had 152 passengers and crew on board.

The WAA spokesperson did not know what caused the windshield to crack.

Fire and other emergency crews rushed to the scene but were quickly called off.
This seems to occur with frequency. Emergency landings in Winnipeg that is. I wonder how often this happens and if they publish the data.

151957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 am

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Man, I have to start bringing my scanner with me to work so I can listen in on air traffic control. Interesting stuff.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

161957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:30 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Quit listening to the radio and get back to work!! Smile

171957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

I can do both... multitasking, y'know!

181957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:43 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wow, you're good. I have to turn the radio off when I drink a glass of water.

191957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

*Glorp. Spash.*

Ahhh, that's how it's done...

201957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:41 pm

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

SMW wrote:Man, I have to start bringing my scanner with me to work so I can listen in on air traffic control. Interesting stuff.

I once listened to an aircraft coming from one of those fishing camps up north at the extreme edge of the aircraft's fuel range.

The guy was requesting/begging a straight-in approach because of low fuel. Air traffic control kept asking him if he wanted to declare an emergency. He didn't want to (that would mean a Transport Canada investigation), but he REALLY needed that straight-in approach.

Of course a few years later another aircraft coming from a fishing resort up north had to go 'round after a missed approach. He didn't have enough fuel for a second try, and came down at Logan and McPhillips.

btw, It turns out the Mitchell Bomber in this topic came down on houses on Collegiate and Ferry Road, just south of Silver Ave.

It removed part of the roof of the house at 422 Collegiate, removed part of the garage roof at 428 College, and destroyed the garage at 425 Ferry. It came to a stop mostly in a vacant lot, with the nose pushed into the living room at 435 Ferry. Luckily, the Campbells at 435 Ferry weren't home.

Thanks to MrChristian over at NewWinnipeg for the photo caption info. I'm going to subscribe to the Free Press archives. I didn't know that they were available online.

211957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:51 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

I wish I'd been into radio and scanning back when 9/11 was happening. The ATC traffic would have made for interesting listening.

221957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

RogerStrong

RogerStrong

SMW wrote:I wish I'd been into radio and scanning back when 9/11 was happening. The ATC traffic would have made for interesting listening.

I have the NYPD recordings somewhere on my hard drive, made by someone with a scanner. I probably will never listen to them a second time.

231957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

RogerStrong wrote:I have the NYPD recordings somewhere on my hard drive, made by someone with a scanner. I probably will never listen to them a second time.

Yeah, I don't think I could either. The Winnipeg ones would be interesting, just to see how they dealt with the (greatly) increased traffic, as well as sizes of aircraft they weren't used to seeing.

241957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There was that plane that crashed at confusion corner too. 2005? 2004? Icing problems?

251957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Empty Re: 1957 Mitchell Bomber Crash in Winnipeg Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:27 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

1957-1944= 13 years old. That was before I learned how to read the Winnipeg Tribune!
Sorry, I have no recollection of this at all. I was in Grade 7 and was tied up with listening to Elvis', and saying he's no good, all he is , is a truck driver!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum