the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

BODIES is coming to Winnipeg

+14
Jondo
Scanlon
rosencrentz
Outsider
holly golightly
Bartron
Miz point
eViL tRoLl
JT Estoban
grumpy old man
Freeman
Northlands
AGEsAces
Deank
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Scanlon

Outsider wrote:I wonder if the taxpayers are contributing to this display in anyway? (and how much if they are.)

Really...? It's toured all over the world since 2005 and been universally praised.

check it out

27BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Oh is that what it is. I thought the picture of that in yesterdays paper was the googly-eyed guy they found in the bush the other day.

28BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

I don't think this exhibit is being billed as an art show is it? I thought it was more of a science/learning type exhibit.

29BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You are correct sir! How the heck did we get on the art rage?

Bodies: The Exhibition, which features specially preserved and intricately dissected human corpses in poses which reveal the complex play of muscles, nerves, veins and bones that go into every human movement.

30BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 am

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

I've seen this exhibit in another city. It is somewhat artistic and has art enjoyment quality. Bit it is also fascinating as a display of human anatomy. Students from all the medical professions who have to study anatomy will be touring this, I'm sure.

31BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 am

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Some people may call this exhibition "art".
IMHO it is a desecration of the human body.
These bodies were someones parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, etc.
Would you want to see your own family made up to look like "art"?
Then why would you want someone else family to be made into "art"?

32BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:17 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oh puhleeze!!!! The bodies were donated willingly. They are bodies, dead bodies.....no life, no ability to hold a conversation with you....christ. Desecration. What an antiquated notion. When humans get over their fear of something that is inevitable and start to say appreciate the quality of life for the living then maybe some progress will be able to occur.

I like the way the Tibetans deal with cadavers......they chop them up and allow them to re-enter the food chain.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

33BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Miz P... these bodies in this particular exhibit appear NOT to have been donated willingly.

34BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:38 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Appear? Either they have been donated or not.....how can you determine whether or not a body has been donated willingly or not? From what I have read it is not like the creator of the exhibit went out hunting down the homeless to harvest their bodies.

35BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:45 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

When I discovered the bodies were all Chinese that was the very first thing I thought: not likely willingly donated to the cause.

There was never any suggestion though that some macabre villains were running around China killing peeps just to get their hands on the bodies.

Let's not let hyperbole drive this discussion.

36BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:47 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Like I said earlier...they are just bodies. If some folks were more concerned with the living then perhaps we would all be the better for it?

37BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The other exhibits of the same nature can guarantee that the bodies were willingly donated. This particular exhibit can not. Big distinction and one that should be a part of your opinion if you go or not.

38BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why?

39BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:Miz P... these bodies in this particular exhibit appear NOT to have been donated willingly.

I disagree with this. As this exhibit was in Edmonton two summers ago, there were signs indicating that all the bodies WERE donated willingly. This is a great exhibit and a wonderful opportunity for people to learn about their own anatomy in a personal matter. I had the opportunity to attend, and was impressed with the quality and educational experience that it offers. I don't understand why some people are so scared and horrified of this exhibit.

40BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

EdWin.. You might be confusing this one, with the other one.

41BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:18 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:EdWin.. You might be confusing this one, with the other one.

I don't think so. Can you show me the difference between the two? My understanding is that this is the same exhibit, just a different name.

42BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODIES..._The_Exhibition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds

note from body_worlds.

Unlike Body Worlds, none of the competing exhibitions or their suppliers has a body donation programme.

Dr. Roy Glover, a spokesperson for 'Bodies ... The exhibition' stated that the bodies were 'unclaimed' cadavers [55]
deposited at the University of Dalian by the Chinese authorities. In
May 2008, a settlement with the attorney general of New York obliged
Premier Exhibitions to offer refunds to visitors when it could not prove
consent for the use of the bodies in its exhibitions.

43BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 am

Anonymous

The Chinese have been killing prisoners for years for their body parts....so, just because they say the bodies were willingly donated does not prove they were actually donated eh. I mean c'mon...they have been known to lie once or twice.

44BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

NOTE

its was 'Body Worlds' that went to edmonton.

. NOT 'Bodies the Exhibition'

45BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:27 am

Anonymous

Many may be confusing this exhibit with the work of Gunther von Hagens' plastinationed bodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_von_Hagens

46BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup Body Worlds is his

47BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

although

"
In January 2004, the German news magazine Der Spiegel
reported that von Hagens had acquired some corpses from executed
prisoners in China; he countered that he did not know the origin of the
bodies and went on to cremate several of the disputed cadevers.[citation needed]
German prosecutors declined to press charges, and Von Hagens was granted an interim injunction against Der Spiegel in March 2005, preventing the magazine from claiming that Body Worlds contain the bodies of executed prisoners.[30]"

48BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd never even heard of this exhibit before and now discover there are a few competing exhibits. Bizzarro...

49BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 am

Anonymous

I hear Thorneycroft is peeing her jockey shorts waiting for the exhibit to open.

50BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:37 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Do I detect some jealousy? Methinks I do......come up with your own concept, apply for a grant or three that you may qualify for (emerging artist grants are ongoing and do not require that you have been an exhibiting/recognized artist) and go for it.

51BODIES is coming to Winnipeg - Page 2 Empty Re: BODIES is coming to Winnipeg Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 am

Anonymous

Excuse me but you are so far off the mark that I'm cannot be bothered to comment...other than to say I will never suck at the public trough.

As you know, there are way too many shitty self-described "artists" than have no business calling themselve that. Thorneycroft is one.....hanging dead rabbits on trees and calling it art indeed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum