the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Census Stuff

+5
eViL tRoLl
Jondo
Miz point
death128
rosencrentz
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Census Stuff Empty Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:05 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jean Charest says "Getting the information is essential for us to make good decisions"

If that is true can someone explain to me what"good decisions" have been made because of the census facts?
Why wouldn't the Harper government simply start charging everyone for the results, and turn the numbers into a profit maker, not an expense?
What is the time frame when census results are made available? I thought that Stockwell Day was using 2004 results last week- How can 6 year old results be relevant?

http://www.elansofas.com

2Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

One of the uses for the census is to stop elitism. I find the Conservatives approaches to the Census and Employment Equity denotes an elitist attitude (of course that's my opinion). I'm just surprised so many women are conservative... following the judas cow? I don't know...

3Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yep, surprises me too but is that for the sake of appeasement and harmony within a family unit?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

4Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

death128 wrote:One of the uses for the census is to stop elitism. I find the Conservatives approaches to the Census and Employment Equity denotes an elitist attitude (of course that's my opinion). I'm just surprised so many women are conservative... following the judas cow? I don't know...

Maybe people (including women?) are just backing away from the other end of it.

5Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:39 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

death128 wrote:One of the uses for the census is to stop elitism. I find the Conservatives approaches to the Census and Employment Equity denotes an elitist attitude (of course that's my opinion). I'm just surprised so many women are conservative... following the judas cow? I don't know...
I think this country could use an elite and people that appreciate excellence - instead we are fostering the bottom feeders and mediocrity.

6Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:29 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We need the elite running things. What would happen if the communists got in to power, or worse the Green party?

http://www.elansofas.com

7Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Elite is a communist term for anyone who makes more money than them.

8Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:51 am

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:
I think this country could use an elite and people that appreciate excellence - instead we are fostering the bottom feeders and mediocrity.

I agree. Men should own all positions from the top to supervisors. After all, who would have the experience to be at the top when women can't hold positions of power?!

Women should be preggos and barefoot in the kitchen. /sarcasm

By holding people down at the bottom rung, you're superficially denying experience opportunities and opportunities for others to attain greatness. To become the 'elite'.

9Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WTF? The "man" holding you back?

What a crock of doo doo death128. What is REALLY holding you back? Ambition? Drive? Motivation? Education? Experience?

Go out and learn these attributes and the world is your oyster.

People must earn everything they get. We've seen first hand what happens when things are "given" out. Two of our most contentious subjects in the sandbox are argued when discussed.

Care to label them?

10Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:27 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yeah that's right - everybody is entitled to their chance to be at the top. However I'm tired of the attitude of entitlement that has caused many people to actually believe what they don't have, has been withheld from them. All while doing nothing and I mean nothing in their own lives. Government enjoys their growth in that role - so in my opinion - they (and their census) can be minimized much more.

11Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

lol Nothing's holding me back. I've noticed that there IS something holding the least of all of us back. And they're held back unto the point of cruelty and subject to inhumane conditions. Which is hurting the country as a whole.

12Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

How so?

What is the solution?

Who is responsible for "the least of all of us"?

13Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:43 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

All of us. The least the government can do is hold a census with some integrity. The least we can do is have these positions out there for the people trying to change their lives. The least employers can do is have a no discrimination policy. The least employers can do is have an action plan to help the least of us. I'm sure your values coincide with these values but many others do not have the same values and there's a need to force some of the larger employers to enact some semblance of these values for the good of the country. Again, not a total free-for-all hire ONLY down and out people being hired.

There's also discrimination at all levels of the chain of command that still needs to be counteracted. Sometimes on a large scale.

Unless you like crime...

14Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Anonymous

Perhaps if more people actually got involved in the businesses they hold shares in, we would have companies with a conscience.....and changes in the way we reimburse executives. Just say'n.

15Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Forget the government and take charge of your own life. There is no other way.

16Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:35 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

where can I get some of the stuff that d128 was smoking ...

17Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:23 am

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

*brandishes her Conservative Party membership card* Thanks for reminding me to renew my spot with the *elite* next month. I'd hate to be without my voting privileges.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

18Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 am

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

death128 wrote:All of us. The least the government can do is hold a census with some integrity. The least we can do is have these positions out there for the people trying to change their lives. The least employers can do is have a no discrimination policy. The least employers can do is have an action plan to help the least of us. I'm sure your values coincide with these values but many others do not have the same values and there's a need to force some of the larger employers to enact some semblance of these values for the good of the country. Again, not a total free-for-all hire ONLY down and out people being hired.

There's also discrimination at all levels of the chain of command that still needs to be counteracted. Sometimes on a large scale.

Unless you like crime...

It seems about every 3 or 4 months I see stories on the news about Canadian employers having to go overseas to hire trained workers because there are not enough trained workers in Canada. And it seems I am ALWAYS seeing stories on the same newscast about some crooks doing robberies, car-jacking, home invasion, etc.
If these people looking to make "an easy buck" would go to school to learn a trade it would be a win for tax-paying Canadians, a win for the company doing the hiring and most important a win for the person becoming a contributor to Canada instead of a drag.

19Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

^ Good post.

20Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You mean, if Harper re-institutes the long form, and if I fill it out, and if the provincial government sees the information, its going to make my life better? Holy sh1t, next thing you guys will be telling me is to vote Liberal.

21Census Stuff Empty Re: Census Stuff Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Meh... they'll just continue to be a drag on society then... They'll just continue to not understand the basics of the economy... And we'll continue on our downward spiral...

They should be just like us but they won't be... lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum