the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Giftgate' aka NDP waste

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:07 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

'Giftgate' aka NDP waste
By PAUL RUTHERFORD

What a touching moment it was two years ago when Alberta Premier Ralph Klein was given a farewell gift at the Western Premiers Conference held in Gimli.

Remember it: The two-day chin-wag hosted by Gary Doer brought seven premiers together to talk about the major issues facing the west.

What Klein's plaque -- featuring the 34 premiers and four prime ministers he outlasted in 13 years -- cost is unknown.

But four Manitoba Crown Corporations secretly gave away more than $35,000 of taxpayers' money during the event.

A whopping $25,000 spent on gifts for the visiting premiers and their entourages. Then there's the $10,000 courtesy of Manitoba Lotteries for a Doc Walker concert, dinner included.

Documents obtained by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act reveals taxpayers' money was squandered on everything from shirts, jackets and garment bags to chocolates, fishing rods, Heidi scarves and "hospitality" bags.

Fishing rods? Chocolates? Scarves?

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the list. Why are my hard-earned tax dollars going to junk like this? If Canada's western premiers wanted gifts to celebrate this momentous occasion, they should have used their own credit cards.

Calling this "Giftgate" (as the Federation has done) is no stretch. And it's really no surprise considering how this government spends, spends and spends.

"Look if they had each been given a T-shirt, OK likely we would have said whatever, let's move on to the next issue but this is outrageous," Colin Craig, Manitoba provincial director of the federation told me Thursday. And every single taxpayer in this province should be spitting bullets about this.

Handing your money over freely, without telling any of us, were MPI, Manitoba Lotteries, Manitoba Hydro and the MLCC.

"Worst of all this is just the tip of the iceberg. We know there is more out there," Craig added, saying the costs involved in getting public information released are too high right now to get the total list of expenditures.

That's right. When you want to get public information -- contained in documents kept "secret" until they are requested -- on spending by government, you will be billed for some pencil pusher's time to locate it for you. What's not known still is the cost of food, accommodations, alcohol (hint, hint, Ralphie again) security, transportation, etc. A lot of bucks. The NDP mum on all of them.

Just another example of our "tarnished crowns" who seem to enjoy frittering away our money. Remember this past April when they each gave -- after Doer "encouraged" them to -- $1 million to the Canadian Museum for Human Rights?

And wasteful spending goes on and on.

What other pricey events or junkets is the premier or NDP ministers attending and hiding the costs of?

The Winnipeg Sun's pages are filled daily with stories about lack of funding for housing, health care, policing and the environment. Thirty-five thousand won't pay for all of these but it would have helped. Wasteful spending like this drives us around the bend.

The only way to end it is to elect a fiscally-sound government. That kind of leadership doesn't have NDP in the title.

This bears repeating: The only way to end it is to elect a fiscally-sound government. That kind of leadership doesn't have NDP in the title.

2'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:11 am

Anonymous

Hear hear

3'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:41 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What crap!! The bastards can't even be up front, they have to hide these expenses in Crown Corporations.

4'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I'm not saying I agree with what's happening...but I can tell you WHY it's happening.

The Crown Corporations each have a set budget every year for "marketing and publicity". So they buy volumes of "promotional materials" in order to spend that budget (and because it's actually cheaper to buy 10000 of an item than 5000 in some cases).

If they DON'T spend the entire budget, then the following year (budget) it is reduced by a percentage scale. If they go over their budget a few years in a row, then consideration is made to increase the spending.

Typically though, the spending is focused on local businesses to help put the money back into the economy. For example, I know the sales-rep who supplies the production materials for Manitoba Hydro & Manitoba Lotteries...who owns a local company and was born & raised in Manitoba.

http://www.photage.ca

5'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That comes from the department of redundancy department. They do not need those dollars in their budgets. Restrict their marketing and communication budgets to their immediate crown corporation needs.

I've lived the budget use it or lose it mentality. Corporations (read CFOs and finance departments) do tend to make it difficult to increase budgets year over year. That is what they do. It is fiscally responsible.

That said put a good need case together and they will more often than not give you the additional budget dollars.

What you describe AA is one of the major problems with bureaucracies. Pad the budget, spend it whether you need it or not.

6'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I completely agree...IMHO...an advertising budget...if not spent, should "roll over" so the following year an option would be to provide bigger & better advertising/marketing.

Perhaps one year business is great, so marketing/advertising is not required...because it would be a waste to try and generate business when things are too busy.

Take that budgeted money and roll it to the next year...thus doubling the available monies that year...and continue on for that day when business starts to wane. This way...instead of a company going under and having to make "cutbacks" by losing personnel, it can focus on advertising...and rebuilding business...which is how they probably started their business in the first place...."Crown Corporation" or not.

7'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:31 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Or... put that money in the bank and save it for when the company really needs it.

8'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:Or... put that money in the bank and save it for when the company really needs it.

No...see...that's how that other philosophy got started.

Marketing managers would be told they have a "budget"...but then the bosses come in and say "yeah, we're taking your budget and putting it into the company jet...cause we really need it there"...so then Marketing Managers got wise and started spending their budget the day they got it...so the bosses couldn't take it anymore Very Happy

9'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Anonymous

Grumpy they all do this not only the NDP it is unfair to label only them .

10'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Umm, pardon? Probably. But I'm specifically referring to the current Manitoba government and more specifically to the article in question. But sure, whatever. Let's stop the practise of crown corporations donating money to anyone.

11'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Anonymous

O for sure it is wrong and should be stopped , i just pointed out thats all .

12'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Its all part of the spend it or lose it budgeting process of gvoernment, which stems from having public servants more concerned with their political masters than the actual public they serve. A budget is a financial plan. We need to spend this in order to make this happen, or if this happens, we need to spend accordingly. Budgets are fluid documents, which need to be constantly reviewed and adjusted, which happens everywhere else, except for government. Crown corporations don't need to market anything, its not like we can buy insurance or hydro elsewhere. Their "marketing" expenses are more appropriately named communication to tell subscribers about products, and other fluff.

13'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:58 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I would put the $500,000 spent partly on rebranding manitoba, as a pretty ugly waste!
Next they will do the same crap with a new flag!

http://www.elansofas.com

14'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:50 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Let's stop the practise of crown corporations donating money to anyone.

Including the rights musem? I'm opposed to the crowns' donating, what, $3 M.? Where do you stand?

15'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 am

Anonymous

Was not the reason given because it did not have to come from tax rolls , so it looks like they are not adding to the NDP surprise down the road.

16'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Triniman wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:Let's stop the practise of crown corporations donating money to anyone.

Including the rights musem? I'm opposed to the crowns' donating, what, $3 M.? Where do you stand?
It means precisely what I said.

Doer directing Manitoba crown corporations to donate was flat out wrong. And stupid.

I'm sorta' against crown corporations to begin with. With few exceptions. We do not need to be in the liquor business for example. Or insurance.

I hope that clears it up for you.

17'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Triniman wrote:

It means precisely what I said.

Doer directing Manitoba crown corporations to donate was flat out wrong. And stupid.

I'm sorta' against crown corporations to begin with. With few exceptions. We do not need to be in the liquor business for example. Or insurance.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Yes, thank you.

18'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Empty Re: 'Giftgate' aka NDP waste Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Anonymous

You must finally realize I'm very serious when I call Doer a fcuken Commie Bastard...he treats Crown Corporations as if they were his private businesses. (Think in terms of what is going on in Russia at this very moment...it's exactly the same.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum