the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

should the riverboat be freed at our expense?

+11
grumpyrom
Northlands
death128
rosencrentz
Sourpuss
grumpy old man
eViL tRoLl
JT Estoban
St Norberter
darkwind
Deank
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor

Meh, I've known the owner for years. He's just being a smart "cheap" businessman and doesn't want to spend a dime of his own money to free his boat if he can get someone else to pay for it. If he has to let it sit till spring I'm sure he will. To find out more about his moral character why don't you guys look up his history of having "thefts" and "fires" wipe out his music service on multiple occasions.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yikes, be careful grumpyrom. While the truth is the best defence to a slander suit let's not expose the sandbox to such suits...

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think the spring ice will "take care" of it for him...should this play out that long.

Remember, they move these boats in the fall in order to avoid the spring chaos!

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

There is no reason why the public should be involved. We can assume that the vessel was equipped with depth sounding equipment and commandeered by an expert on the waterway who has been doing this multiple times a day. So the incident could have been easily prevented. Or was the boat on autopilot and the captain drinking with the passengers?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

maybe he was checking the depth using an oar over the side of the boat?

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:I think the spring ice will "take care" of it for him...should this play out that long.

Remember, they move these boats in the fall in order to avoid the spring chaos!

JTF is probably right on the money. Connect the dots. Boat for sale, no buyers interested, runs aground with owner claiming losses but unwilling to pay to move it for fear of "damaging" boat but willing to let it sit over winter? What happens after winter? Boat is damaged beyond repair and then ... File insurance claim. At least thats what I would do ...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

maybe we should float this guy a small business loan

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, boo?

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpyrom wrote:Boat is damaged beyond repair and then ... File insurance claim. At least thats what I would do ...
I guess he can claim - but will insurance pay if it was his own fault that it's stuck?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Maybe some "bridge" financing?? should the riverboat be freed at our expense? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nah... that idea does not hold any water

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can it not be declared a hazard to navigation, and then have someone blow it up. At least that would be fun!!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that would be fun.

he has actually suggested using explosive to "clear the river" but is waiting on Feds to okay it.

The thing I dont understand is why he has just not rented a powerful pump and use it to water blast the underlying sediment away.... its not like he would have to run hose that far to an available body of water. Hell you would think that there is possibly a powerful enough pump or two already on board the boat.

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

If he leaves it there over the winter, can he be charged? I remember them talking about the litter, and shacks, etc left behind by fishers during the winter when it came to spring cleanup. Seems to me thins type of thing can be declared a hazard. What happens in the spring if the boat breaks up and gets carried away; it could really do damage to property or people.

Anonymous

Anybody know what the salvage laws are?

If the boat's abandoned can it not be taken as salvage?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

darkwind wrote:If he leaves it there over the winter, can he be charged? I remember them talking about the litter, and shacks, etc left behind by fishers during the winter when it came to spring cleanup. Seems to me thins type of thing can be declared a hazard. What happens in the spring if the boat breaks up and gets carried away; it could really do damage to property or people.

Now you're talking!! It would make a great ice fishing shack.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:The thing I dont understand is why he has just not rented a powerful pump and use it to water blast the underlying sediment away.... its not like he would have to run hose that far to an available body of water. Hell you would think that there is possibly a powerful enough pump or two already on board the boat.

I figure he'd have to do some kind of environmental assessment....remember, you can't even put in a dock @ the lake without doing a environmental assessment/impact study first. should the riverboat be freed at our expense? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

even for the water blasting the silt that moves around all the time?

That is messed up.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:that would be fun.

he has actually suggested using explosive to "clear the river" but is waiting on Feds to okay it.

The thing I dont understand is why he has just not rented a powerful pump and use it to water blast the underlying sediment away.... its not like he would have to run hose that far to an available body of water. Hell you would think that there is possibly a powerful enough pump or two already on board the boat.
Where in the world is conceited jerk? He'll know the answer to this...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

man a quick search of boat stuck in river silt brings up a whole bunch of links

pretty commonish occourance it seems

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

The red river is the Fed's responsibility.

The owner should pay to remove his boat. Or he can abandon it and leave it for someone to claim salvage rights.
Or
The feds should give him a week to have it towed or they will do it for him and send him the bill.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Heard on the news this morning that all of the whining and pleading by the owner to the Fed MP for Selkirk has worked and the river level is going to be raised in an attempt to move the boat along. I wonder if the invoice will be sent to the River Rouge...NOT. And Bezan doesn't think raising the water level at Lockport isn't going to affct the city, just like a politician, spewing crap he knows nothing about.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

I guess we will not see the River Walk again until some uncertain date in the future.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum