the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

should the riverboat be freed at our expense?

+11
grumpyrom
Northlands
death128
rosencrentz
Sourpuss
grumpy old man
eViL tRoLl
JT Estoban
St Norberter
darkwind
Deank
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2010/08/03/14909306.html

the owner is saying that river levels should be raised in order to free his boat.

I am assuming a cost comes with that.. and an impact of some sort. Should that cost and impact be held by Manitobans?

Should we be dredging the river ( me I say yes to the dredge) but no to the paying to free this boat.

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

I thought I read that the boat operator had signed a waiver saying he knew the river had shallow spots and may not be safe...

Waterways are a federal responsibility, and the federal government used to dredge the river. I think it stopped to save money in the early 90's.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Do we dredge any other rivers at our expense? Or are they all done at the expense of the people who use the river?

I am wondering of the rivers like the St Lawrence ... is it dredged by fees charged to the ship owners?

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Well, on one hand he did sign a waiver.

On the other hand IT"S THE MIDDLE OF FREAKIN JULY!!! GET THE DAMN BUOYS OUT ALREADY!!!!

The Libs killed the dredging program back in the 90's. The thing is it didn't cost very much. I think I read it will cost more to get the dredges back up and running than it will to run the program. There is a safety aspect to it - the coast guard boat couldn't make it down the river to the River Rouge.

Anyone else wonder if not dredging has had any effect on the continual high water levels of the red in the city?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

When does this B.S. stop!

Who got the boat stuck?

From some of the comments I've read on various websites, many former Red River captains have stated that this boat was way off course, and never should have been in the area to which it is now stuck.

The owner is balling that "someone should take responsibility for this"....why hasn't anyone asked him why HE isn't taking responsibility for his own operation?

Not only that, but if I can buy a depth finder for my Dad for fathers day, and it only cost a couple hundred bucks to outfit his little aluminum fishing boat...why doesn't a boat this size have anything similar? If it does, why wasn't it in operation, and/or why wasn't anyone looking at it while the boat was being operated??

whatever....f*ck-it, I guess taxpayers are ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING...so we may as well hold our noses and pay this guy's tab because he or his staff f*cked up and they'll let it rot otherwise.

Come to think of it...never mind, we're not paying the bill. In fact, we'll sell tickets and have a contest to see what everyone's predictions are for what the boat looks like in the spring after the ice has had it's way with the craft...and use those revenue's to sue the bastard for the expenses of hauling the wreck out and having it broken down and sold for scrap by the ton. (all recycling revenues to be recouped by the legal fund)

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I remember reading where the owner was trying to sell and was bemoaning the fact of all the regulations and floods and such will killing the business.

Now with this.

Who would want to buy it?

And was he off course? not good. It sure would be nice to keep this attraction in our city, but not at a substantial expense to taxpayers.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Weird, the Red is shallow while the Assiniboine is going wild and still floods the River Walk.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

They should be dredging the river faithfully so as to stop the river from overflowing the banks. It is a federal responsibility and the numbers were relatively small (reportedly $1.3~ million annually). If the mud and silt continues to build then the river diverts no?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:I remember reading where the owner was trying to sell and was bemoaning the fact of all the regulations and floods and such will killing the business.
- I remember reading this too, not long ago -

Deank wrote:
Who would want to buy it?

- IMO nobody in their right mind without a ton of cash and not a whole lot of "give a damn" for said cash.

Deank wrote:
And was he off course? not good. It sure would be nice to keep this attraction in our city, but not at a substantial expense to taxpayers.

- Was he off course? Nobody who's been reporting on this story has thought to ask! Can we find one reporter out there who's willing to ask the owner and/or captain some hard, yet surprisingly logical and simple questions?

Anonymous

....this boat was way off course....

Without buoys how can one tell on this small river?

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
....this boat was way off course....

Without buoys how can one tell on this small river?

Generally speaking, anyone with their boat operators certificate should know that if you don't know the river that well, stick to the middle, where it's most likely to be the deepest. All the photo's of the boat show it uncomfortably close to the one shore...I wouldn't go that close in a fishing boat unless I was going really slow...and even then, a "depth finder" is worth it's weight!!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

150 feet off the shore supposedly

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2010/07/30/14882351.html

thats not close

Anonymous

The navigational maps of the Red are outta wack because there has been no dredging for 10 years.

btw, the middle isn't always the deepest because of the bends in the river which cause underwater currents to move the soil around.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"btw, the middle isn't always the deepest because of the bends in the
river which cause underwater currents to move the soil around."

agreed

and the reality is that with all the excess water we have had this year even last years maps would be out of whack. Still it is everyone boaters responsibility to navigate the waters themselves.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:btw, the middle isn't always the deepest because of the bends in the river which cause underwater currents to move the soil around.

...which is why I qualified that comment with a well placed "generally speaking" should the riverboat be freed at our expense? Icon_wink

I cannot comment on dredging, as I'm not old enough to have been able to pilot a boat on the Red whilist it was dredged. I've only known a post-dredge, or shall we say, dredge-less river.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:and the reality is that with all the excess water we have had this year even last years maps would be out of whack. Still it is everyone boaters responsibility to navigate the waters themselves.

Even if maps are not updated, pretty much any pissy boat has a depth sounder, sonar, radar and other tech gadgets that show what is going on below and around the vessel. A ship that carries passengers and profits from operations should be up to the latest standard and be liable for any costs.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you would think that it would be a fed regulation for them to have some sort of depth sounder

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yeah, What about the story the other day about the motorboat that hit a log near Maple Grove Park and was stranded for 3 hours.

Why weren't they carrying paddles?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Dredge the river because it needs dredging, and then charge Cap'n Dingleberry for the removal of his boat.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think there were aboriginals drinking on the river front and it was those buoys drinking that was the problem.
This isn't the captains fault.
No one spends any money to maintain the water way. That harper is so cheap!

http://www.elansofas.com

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Meh. The boat is one of the attractions and benefits the city as a whole. Youngsters graduate there etc. etc.

Help him out and give him a 'don't do that again' talking to.

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Meh, give me 500 bucks and the use of a dump truck with an gas powered winch. should the riverboat be freed at our expense? Icon_biggrin

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Is the Red a commercial waterway?

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Not really. Almost all pleasure craft, at least in Winnipeg anyway.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Meh, I've known the owner for years. He's just being a smart "cheap" businessman and doesn't want to spend a dime of his own money to free his boat if he can get someone else to pay for it. If he has to let it sit till spring I'm sure he will. To find out more about his moral character why don't you guys look up his history of having "thefts" and "fires" wipe out his music service on multiple occasions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum