the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Knob Award #2: Fletcher takes MPI to court - yet again

+9
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
FlyingRat
incognito
LivingDead
Goth_chic
Deank
grumpy old man
StBPegger
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

DeanK- I think I would be willing to support your "bathing by bikini-clad women" with low morals, or was that low inhibitions?
Best idea yet on the forum!
I think I heard the Premier mention that he was going to investigate on the dollar amount being authorized. Somewhere I heard or read that the amount hasn't been raised in 10 or 15 years.
If that is so it is like the City's housing allowance that hasn't been raised in the same period of time, and we all know that renting a place hasn't gotten more expensive in the last 15 years, right?

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that was not my idea.. that was Ages Smile I was just seconding it. Now that you agreed the motion is passed. I will be talking to doer about enforcing it next week Smile

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:It should be based on future potential earnings. If a doctor or engineer, one could easily calculate future earnings. Ditto that of a plumber or electrician. The fact he was young and earning the lowest one with his education should not be a lifelong penalty.

I agree with that...sort of.

If he was already working in a field...and earning a steady wage..great.

But let's say he was going to school to be a surgeon...and then got hurt.

Does that mean he's now entitled to a surgeon's wages for the rest of his life?

Why? Maybe he would have failed school? Maybe he would have developed Carpal Tunnel? Maybe he would've gotten so old that he can't perform surgery anymore...or his eyesight waivers too much? Should he still get surgeon's wages?

IMHO...no...he was a student...which of course pays nothing...but there's no way to predict the future as to what he "might" have made.

If I'm working as an Electrician...and I don't like the work anymore, or can't handle the hours...so I go become an office clerk...should I still get Electrican's wages?

Yes, he deserves some compensation...and yes, it would be hard to do so on a "prediction"...but insurance is based on what you "buy"...not what you're "entitled" to. If you buy insurance that guarantees you a salary compensation...then it's based upon your current salary. You can always add insurance that guarantees you more.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

Exactly The system needs to be fixxed but it isn't and wasn't when this happened . As bad as I feel for him it is what is there change it but for the next person .
Or do we start to pay all Quads how much a year and what about the rest , are they worth less or more . There has to be a set limit and it needs to be looked at every ten years or so .

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Okay so if I am reading this correctly Fletcher is stating that one's compensation should have worked into it the lifelong potential earnings of what that individual could be receiving if not injured....wow.

Firstly, I would love to know how many doctors in Manitoba are making seven figure salaries (not counting on the Admin ones nor counting stocks and bonds) as Fletcher states in terms of potential income. Or is he stating that if one was injured one credit shy of their med degree that all of those who fit into this category want to pursue a career path in medicine that would earn them those kinds of figures? ie: move to the states and whore oneself out for an HMO?

Secondly, wtf constitutes "lifelong" potential given that none of us know how long we are going to be alive or capable of pursuing X career path for X years.

Lots of speculation by Mr. Fletcher and that weakens an otherwise solid case for MPI and the Gov't of Manitoba to raise the bar in terms of the compensatory values. Going ot teh Supreme Court is gonna be a supreme pain in the arse and who will be footing a good chunk of that bill? Us suckahs!!!!

I once almost hit a moose during rutting season on a deserted highway and I thank my lucky stars that because I knew it was rutting season I governed myself accordingly and did not drive too fast. I do not know how fast Mr. Fletcher was going but for argument's sake let's just say that the Moose will always prevail regardless of one's speed on impact.

As to Fletcher needing more than one assistant, that too is an important issue being that one assistant cannot be expected to work 24/7. I have interviewed the chronically-disabled (MS sufferers, Gehrigs disease and quads) and they do have many needs that the rest of us abled folks would never begin to think about.

A threat of a lawsuit is what it is and in the end what will be accomplished? The society for Manitobans with Disabilities or other attendant lobbying SIG's should be going after the Provincial and Federal governments to ensure that those who need our help, regardless of bullshit cutoff points get the help they need in order to realize at least some semblance of potential....and when I talk potential it ain't about income...its about LIFE.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

For Fletcher's efforts, Doer has now said that he will look at the amount of money allowed for care. That, to me is a strong victory.

Anonymous

This amount is inadequate no doubt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum