the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Knob Award #2: Fletcher takes MPI to court - yet again

+9
rosencrentz
AGEsAces
FlyingRat
incognito
LivingDead
Goth_chic
Deank
grumpy old man
StBPegger
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

StBPegger

StBPegger

He's tried several times to sue MPI for money, always failing. Yet he keeps wasting taxpayers money trying again.

And you gotta love his reason for why he feels he's being "discriminated against". What an ass! And he's the guy responsible for Democratic Reform.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/35069619.html
A federal cabinet minister paralyzed after a car accident is taking his battle against Manitoba public insurance to the Supreme Court.
Steven Fletcher, the Conservative minister of state for democratic renewal, says the province's $3,000 monthly limit doesn't allow him to lead an active life.
The limit doesn't even begin to cover a health attendant Fletcher needs 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
An appeal court judge recently denied Fletcher the right to take his case before the Manitoba Court of Appeal.
Fletcher's lawyer Sidney Green says they will continue the fight to the Supreme Court of Canada.
He says Fletcher is being discriminated against because of his political affiliation.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's what lawyers do eh? The problem here is $3000 monthly is pretty much useless. How does MPI justify such a piddly amount? We buy insurance to protect us in just these cases. No fault might well be the way to go but the idiots that set the payouts need to give their heads a shake.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh for christs sake.. yeah its because of his political offiliation. nothing to do with the fact that the limit is the limit
I bet.... he would have lost the most recent election if this was public before.

StBPegger

StBPegger

Deank wrote:oh for christs sake.. yeah its because of his political offiliation. nothing to do with the fact that the limit is the limit
I bet.... he would have lost the most recent election if this was public before.
The sad thing is that this has mae the news before. The problem is that the electorate is ignorant to how much a power-tripping ass Fletcher is.

For example, do you know of his days as UMSU president? (Further, isn't it ironic for a Conservative to be president of a union?)

StBPegger

StBPegger

grumpy old man wrote:That's what lawyers do eh? The problem here is $3000 monthly is pretty much useless. How does MPI justify such a piddly amount? We buy insurance to protect us in just these cases. No fault might well be the way to go but the idiots that set the payouts need to give their heads a shake.
As far as I understand, $3000 monthly is over and above his salary. That's some pretty sweet coin.
His previous antics were something to the effect of him wanting two personal servants instead of one, because he was so busy as a politician that one wasn't enough.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think he is being a knob. I happen to have a friend who is also disabled, he was the only one wearing a seatbelt in the car...everyone else walked away he wasn't as lucky. MPI gives him barely enough to help...it's sad. He needs 24 hour care.

Tell me StBPegger, why do we pay insurance? This accident happened long before he became a cabinet minister. Of course those who lean left would consider his reasoning to be that of an ass.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

StBPegger wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:That's what lawyers do eh? The problem here is $3000 monthly is pretty much useless. How does MPI justify such a piddly amount? We buy insurance to protect us in just these cases. No fault might well be the way to go but the idiots that set the payouts need to give their heads a shake.
As far as I understand, $3000 monthly is over and above his salary. That's some pretty sweet coin.
His previous antics were something to the effect of him wanting two personal servants instead of one, because he was so busy as a politician that one wasn't enough.

Pretty sweet coin??? I would think having use of your body would be worth way more than that!!!! My God, give your head a shake.

StBPegger

StBPegger

So Goth, you find Fletcher's argument that he's getting discriminated because he's a C reasonable?

Remember, he got denied his claim before he became a politician, so where's the discrimination?

And yes, I pay insurance for a reasonable payout.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

StBPegger wrote:So Goth, you find Fletcher's argument that he's getting discriminated because he's a C reasonable?

Remember, he got denied his claim before he became a politician, so where's the discrimination?

And yes, I pay insurance for a reasonable payout.

Yes I find it reasonable....I recall reading that he was also a conservative before the accident....something at university...I would have to look it up. Whether or not he is being discriminated against is not the point...the point is he is not getting enough to live on. I know this for a fact!!!! I have a friend in the same boat.....some on welfare with a ton of kids receive more cash. Pretty F@^king sad if you ask me.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah he recieves a considerable chunk of compensation for lost salary too ( odd though considering he is actually employed ) the 3000 is over and above that .
and from past attempts it was because he is a MP that he wants more because the 3K is not enough for his servants while he is a MP, as far as I know MPI in fact no insurance company.. increases and decreases its insurance payments to you for jobs you start and quit after the original settlement.
How much this lawyer costing him for all these attempts? Far more then his servants would cost him I would hazard a guess.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I guess we need all the facts. If he needs care 24/7 then $3k will not cut it in any way shape of form. If he needs extra coin to "work" then it should be made available to him. Ditto what he needs to live (special vans, housing...).

Now, where do we draw the line to allow him the cost of duplicating all these costs in Ottawa because that is where his job takes him? I suggest that is too much. If I KNOWINGLY take a job that increases my costs I do so knowing I and I alone are on the hook for them. That or his employer.

Lastly, discrimination? Not fricken likely. MPI would not want to open that can of worms. They are not THAT stupid.

Heh heh heh

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:

Lastly, discrimination? Not fricken likely. MPI would not want to open that can of worms. They are not THAT stupid.

Heh heh heh

Are you sure about that??? Wink

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

StBPegger wrote:

StB. I think you are missing the point.

The point is that the state run MPI has an obligation to care for people who are insured by them. It matters not who becomes a quadriplegic Mr Fletcher, you, me, whoever. Mr Fletcher can not use his legs, his arms, his back, his sexual organs, he needs someone to feed him and to wipe his ass. He could be like many many other quads and sit in institutions waiting for death.

If Mr Fletcher had the right to pick and choose where he purchased auto insurance then it would be his tough luck if he didn't get enough coverage. But we in Soviet-Manitoba do not have that right. We do what Big Brother tells us and he tells us we can only use MPI. Due to Mr. Fletchers injuries and subsequent disability he requires a round the clock health care assistant. He paid for the insurance, and in order to participate in society fully, MPI should pay. If not then the MPI act should be struck down immediately and allow us to purchase private insurance.

Mr Fletcher, IMHO, is being discriminated against by The Government of Manitoba and its Subsidiary MPI. Just because he is a MP and makes good coin, does he not deserve to be treated like a human, like the rest of us? Should he be forced to pay out of his own pocket? I know I would trade all the money in the world for full use of my body, wouldn't you?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Just because he is a MP and makes good coin, does he not deserve to be treated like a human, like the rest of us?"
Just because he is an MP does he deserve to be treated better?
Thats what he is asking for. To be treated better then the average Manitoban in the same situation, just because he is an MP.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

I'm still undecided, but this was Mr. Fletcher's argument in 2001:

mod note: link removed. gom

And this was MPI's response:
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/english/newsroom/articles/Other/le_mb_jan31.html

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:"Just because he is a MP and makes good coin, does he not deserve to be treated like a human, like the rest of us?"
Just because he is an MP does he deserve to be treated better?
Thats what he is asking for. To be treated better then the average Manitoban in the same situation, just because he is an MP.

NO, he is asking to be treated like a guy who is a Quadriplegic and wants to be be a part of society and to be active in this society.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Anyhow. If we were allowed a choice in insurance, we could choose our own destiny and things would be different. That is the bottom line.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

There should be federal funding for MPs who have special needs. MPI should pay out the same benefit for anyone in similar circumstances, no matter their job.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. dont click on the link to themanitoban..... tries to install a nice litte virus on your computer.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I read both Fletchers' LTE and MPI's reply. I'd characterize MPI's reply as non-responsive and evasive. It would have been more acceptable had MPI addressed Fletcher's letter point by point.

MPI is a typical government bureaucracy and is not answerable to its customers. They seem to prove that in this matter.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

maybe even delete that link from here... post the text perhaps... maybe someone should also tell the manitoban they have been infected.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:yeah.. dont click on the link to themanitoban..... tries to install a nice litte virus on your computer.

Please take GOM's advice and reinstall Windows. Or better yet, get a Mac.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I removed the link. For what it's worth I did not notice a virus (that is AVG did not notice it...).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The money he gets, is the money that is available under the insurance we have. Thats all there is to it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum