the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not!

+2
grumpy old man
Miz point
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

First it was the smell and then the telltale cacophany of sirens.....all at 5:20 this morning. My eyes were watering within minutes. I found out eventually that the historic Barber House had been torched - again and just when it was going to be properly renovated and reintegrated as a multi-purpose community structure here in North Point Douglas.

What the hell is it with these little firebugs that they have to attack something like this? Why? What drives a person or persons to want to needlessly destroy something? Yes, I know, rhetorical questions but now that the warmer months are upon us we should become more vigilant and if we see any of these little bastards out in groups?

I don't know anymore..... NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! 306762

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

2NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Excuse my ignorance, what is the Barber House and what makes it historic?

3NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Second oldest house in Winnipeg built in 1862....

4NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:Excuse my ignorance, what is the Barber House and what makes it historic?

It is the second oldest "house" in Winnipeg.

I put house in quotes because it is really just a burned out shell of a house that was torched in the 80s and has remained boarded up and rotting ever since.

It really doesn't have much historic significance other than it's age.

5NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It wasn't torched in the 80's......last time someone tried to torch it was in 1993. Perhaps I will have to find some links as to the historical significance of my neighbourhood.....an area that right now looks rather gorgeous what with all the majestic elms and lilacs....

My home, for the record, was built in 1883 and no, during this last deluge we did not have issues with flooding.

Barber House is something to be appreciated, not denigrated.

6NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Miz point wrote:It wasn't torched in the 80's......last time someone tried to torch it was in 1993. Perhaps I will have to find some links as to the historical significance of my neighbourhood.....an area that right now looks rather gorgeous what with all the majestic elms and lilacs....

If it is so important, why has is been neglected for so many years?

I think the residents of Point Douglas and the city of Winnipeg have missed their opportunity for any plans for the house and restoring a burned out shell of a former house seems like a serious waste of money. Other than the core structure (which is now charred) any historically significant features
(windows, doors, interior, floors, gardens etc.) of the house and the surrounding yards is now gone.

Any "restoration" would be primarily a new construction and a replica of the past with a few remaining pieces of wood.

IIRC it already stands on a new foundation.

7NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

8NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:23 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Thanks for that link GC.

Even in 1960 the place looked fit for a bulldozer. Still not completely sure what is worth saving here.

NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! 152-2
NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! 152-6

Here is what the interior looked like in 2003. Add 7 more years of neglect and another fire to this.

Again. What exactly are we saving here?

NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! 152-3

9NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:30 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

After seeing the pictures of the house circa 1960, the quote in the WFP really makes me chuckle.

Barber died in 1909. In all, his family and descendants lived in the house for about 110 years. Tracy Semmer, a great-niece of Barber, remembers hearing stories of large get-togethers in a lush front yard.

"The entrance was to a big kitchen area, and garden tea parties would be centred there," says Semmer. Guests relaxed in willow chairs on the front veranda and wandered in the yard.

"There were more trees in the yard then," she says, "and an English-style garden where they kept day lilies and thistle."

You would think it was some beautiful mansion based on that description.

10NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

11NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

sputnik wrote:After seeing the pictures of the house circa 1960, the quote in the WFP really makes me chuckle.

Barber died in 1909. In all, his family and descendants lived in the house for about 110 years. Tracy Semmer, a great-niece of Barber, remembers hearing stories of large get-togethers in a lush front yard.

"The entrance was to a big kitchen area, and garden tea parties would be centred there," says Semmer. Guests relaxed in willow chairs on the front veranda and wandered in the yard.

"There were more trees in the yard then," she says, "and an English-style garden where they kept day lilies and thistle."

You would think it was some beautiful mansion based on that description.

It is not the grandiosity nor pretentiousness of a place that defines it but rather the quality of life that existed within it......

12NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:05 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Miz point wrote:It is not the grandiosity nor pretentiousness of a place that defines it but rather the quality of life that existed within it......

Then take a picture, put up a plaque, bulldoze the house and use the land for infill housing so that others can live in the community and partake in the same spirit.

13NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

sputnik wrote:
Miz point wrote:It is not the grandiosity nor pretentiousness of a place that defines it but rather the quality of life that existed within it......

Then take a picture, put up a plaque, bulldoze the house and use the land for infill housing so that others can live in the community and partake in the same spirit.

I agree, Bulldoze it and put the land to good use so that many more generations of people can call the spot home.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

14NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Then sell the houses as "Winnipegs NEWEST houses".

Very Happy

15NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sput and LD agreeing on something?? NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Icon_eek

16NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think they agree because they still play with their Tonka Toys.....

17NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I guess I still play with barbie cause I agree with Sputnik.

18NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Uhhh, last time I checked there was no demolition Barbie..... NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Icon_razz The Tonka reference had nada to do with infantile remarks. It was in reference to desires of demolition.

Last edited by Miz point on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

19NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There is supposed to be an Engineer's report, after the investigation of course of whose outcome will most likely be determined as arson. I sincerely hope that the firebugs get caught.

20NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am in the process of designing a demolition barbie...I want my daughter to know that a woman can do anything she puts her mind to. NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Icon_biggrin

21NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Icon_rolleyes

22NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Miz point wrote:I think they agree because they still play with their Tonka Toys.....
Is that a euphemism? Smile

23NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Goth_chic wrote:I guess I still play with barbie cause I agree with Sputnik.

24NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Okay, okay. I'll go stand in a corner...

25NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Empty Re: NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:I guess I still play with barbie cause I agree with Sputnik.

No - it was a joke......but thank you for asking NICE WAY TO WAKE UP - not! Icon_smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum