the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

nice to see a new rink.... poor execution though

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Winnipeg-infrastructure--46475267.html

Dont particularily care for throwing more money to the True North peeps when the public rinks we have are in such desperate need of repair. No discussion with the public.. just BAM and its done.

Whatever.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think the public rinks should have gotten the cash for much needed renovations and upgrades before the plan to build a new complex goes forward.

What about the other "stimulus" projects that were also announced....any issues with those?

They are:

• Refurbishment of the Manitoba Centennial Centre
  • Manitoba Sikh Cultural and Seniors Centre
  • A new United Way headquarters near the Disraeli Freeway
  • A Winnipeg Harvest Community Food Distribution and Training Centre
  • A Salvation Army Multicultural Family Centre

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

• Refurbishment of the Manitoba Centennial Centre (what is this building, and why is this the first time I have ever heard of it?)
  • Manitoba Sikh Cultural and Seniors Centre (huh?)
  • A new United Way headquarters near the Disraeli Freeway (what's wrong with the old one? Can't it be fixed/renovated?)
  • A Winnipeg Harvest Community Food Distribution and Training Centre (Ok, that's nice but what about finding some existing building to house that project? Surely everyone knows we have plenty of unused buildings that could support such a project...)
  • A Salvation Army Multicultural Family Centre (again...huh?)

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

All projects that without details the spending of money seems nothing more then for spending money.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Lets build all new sh*t because no one wants to put money into the older sh*t....

....great....

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hey its a recession! lets spend like a drunken sailor!

Anonymous

I guess it is hard making "d'oes priorities" eh. I don't agree with any of them personally. There are much nicer holes to throw money into imo.

Anonymous

They will spend it either way and most the rinks would cost more to bring to today's standard then they are worth . Why do you all whine when money is spent in Wpg. Are you guys Ukrainian or something , come from North end what . Razz

Anonymous

heh heh ...well, as a matter of fact....

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" Why do you all whine when money is spent in Wpg"

I dont whine when Money is spent in Winnipeg, I whine when MY MONEY is spent in Winnipeg and I dont get a say.

Anonymous

O be a good taxpayer and be quiet , Razz If we gave people a say nothing would get done . Look at the transit debate ! 45 plus years and counting I rest my case !

This involves goverment and when was the last time they gave a rats ass about what we the taxpayer said . come on think hard .

They are still going to take your money less you withold your taxes.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" Look at the transit debate ! 45 plus years and counting I rest my case "
thank fuckin good because Winnipeg does not NEED rapid transit. Hell the currently implementing "rapid" transit will actually get you from Downtown Winnipeg to the U of M SLOWER then the express routes currently do.

a better more able to adapt transit system that will do more then get people to and from downtown? frick yeah we need that.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:Hell the currently implementing "rapid" transit will actually get you from Downtown Winnipeg to the U of M SLOWER then the express routes currently do.
How so? Based upon what is this observation made?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Didn't David Northcott run for a certain party and not get elected, but he returned to his job at Winnipeg Harvest, who is now a recipent of the infrastructure lottery?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:Hell the currently implementing "rapid" transit will actually get you from Downtown Winnipeg to the U of M SLOWER then the express routes currently do.
The current transit take 25 minutes or less

the current transit has 4 stops. the proposed will have 12 and that 12 will only get you to pembina and bison drive, one more bus into the university

Each stop will take about 1 minute, maybe slightly more or less for 12 minutes average of bus "stop" time.

this leaves 13 minutes for actual drive time and waiting for the transfer at pembina and bison and actually driving in from Bison.

Anonymous

Debate and debate for ever and the cost just keep going up , make a fricking decision and go with it this is why Winnipeg wallows behind most cities in Canada. Frick how long doe's it take to decide , This why the public needs less in put .
We pay the council to do this for christ's sakes , let it be done and everyone be happy .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" make a fricking decision and go with it "

we did... we decided against Rapid transit. Its the people who want RT that refuse to accept the answer. Oh wait, they kept harping and harping and harping and finally got their way. Great just great, whats 185 million dollars so that we can add 5 minutes on to a bus time?
And thats only ONE leg, a second LEG if it ever gets done will cost us another 185 million and for what? Oh right to give "rapid transit" to the most heavily serviced area in the freakin city. You want Rapid transit to work and to have benefit? Get people from one area of the city to the other without having to go through downtown.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:

• Refurbishment of the Manitoba Centennial Centre (what is this building, and why is this the first time I have ever heard of it?)
  • Manitoba Sikh Cultural and Seniors Centre (huh?)
  • A new United Way headquarters near the Disraeli Freeway (what's wrong with the old one? Can't it be fixed/renovated?)
  • A Winnipeg Harvest Community Food Distribution and Training Centre (Ok, that's nice but what about finding some existing building to house that project? Surely everyone knows we have plenty of unused buildings that could support such a project...)
  • A Salvation Army Multicultural Family Centre (again...huh?)

a) If I am correct, the Manitoba Centennial centre is the name that refers to the Manitoba Museum, Planetarium, and Concert hall complex.
b) Don`t know about this one
c) United Way is currently at 5 Donald. I`m pretty sure it leases space in that building.
d) I`m curious as to where this is going. Wpg Harvest is currently just of McPhillips a couple of blocks north of Notre Dame. It would make sense to move this closer to the inner city, no?
e) Huh? And where is it going?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:
The current transit take 25 minutes or less

the current transit has 4 stops. the proposed will have 12 and that 12 will only get you to pembina and bison drive, one more bus into the university

Each stop will take about 1 minute, maybe slightly more or less for 12 minutes average of bus "stop" time.

this leaves 13 minutes for actual drive time and waiting for the transfer at pembina and bison and actually driving in from Bison.
Which route are you referring to? The University Super Express? It's non-stop between Confusion Corner and the University.
The problem with the super express buses is that the service is extremely limited. There are only three University Super express buses Monday to Fri ( none on the weekend), and the service only operates to the University in the am and to downtown in the PM. FWIW, the 37 Ft. Richmond Super Express isn't much better - the last one leaves St. Norbert at 7:55, and the last one leaves downtown at 5:07 in the afternoon.
25 Min or less - maybe outside of rush hour - but get caught in backed up traffic on either the midtown or osborne bridge in winter om rush hour, and you're looking at more like 40 min.
1 min is quite long for a bus stop - time it the next time - stops are more like 15-30 sec.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"1 min is quite long for a bus stop - time it the next time "

how about you time it? I did time it the express ( and so to presumably the RT ) has more people getting on and off then a "normal" route.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The problem with the super express buses is that the service is extremely limited"

exactly... thats the problem with busing all over this city and thats the problem that should be addressed.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:"1 min is quite long for a bus stop - time it the next time "

how about you time it? I did time it the express ( and so to presumably the RT ) has more people getting on and off then a "normal" route.

I'll time the ones I take the next time I take it. I don't know when that will be as I'm biking to work now.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:"The problem with the super express buses is that the service is extremely limited"

exactly... thats the problem with busing all over this city and thats the problem that should be addressed.

I wouldn't say that service in general is limited - there are a lot of buses that run up and down Pembina or Portage.

It seems to me more like the useful buses are limited. For one thing, why does there need to be a bus stop on every block? Walk a bit people!

Second, the focus should be on more express buses and less regular service down major arteries ( opposite of what it is now)

Third, the routes need to be redesigned to allow for travel outside the hub and spoke system. If you want to get anywhere by bus in this town, you have to go through downtown - makes for long travel times.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"It seems to me more like the useful buses are limited. For one thing, why does there need to be a bus stop on every block? Walk a bit people!

Second, the focus should be on more express buses and less regular service down major arteries ( opposite of what it is now)

Third, the routes need to be redesigned to allow for travel outside the hub and spoke system. If you want to get anywhere by bus in this town, you have to go through downtown - makes for long travel times."

agreed (and this one actually seems like it was designed by members of council pressuring to get a bus stop for certain very vocal voters in some areas)

agreed (as long we do some proper surveying and evaluating of the populace we could improve transit drastically without actually adding much cost)

agreed ( very very very much agreed, way to much focus is on "saving downtown" by forcing people to go there via bus, this does not do anything besides pack downtown with buses) Once we get the "inner perimeter" completed there should be buses traveling the route in both directions every 20 minutes or less.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum