the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

McDonalds under fire for kicking out Winnipeg guide dog

+5
Freeman
LivingDead
Electrician
Jondo
grumpy old man
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

WINNIPEG — A guide dog belonging to a legally blind woman from Winnipeg was kicked out of a McDonald's restaurant this week.

Renee Brady said she was shocked after her seeing-eye dog Able's all-access pass was yanked by the Golden Arches.

Brady said a manager at the fast-food restaurant said there were no dogs allowed and refused to make an exception for Able.

"He said that my dog being in the restaurant would offend other people dining at the restaurant," she said.

Brady had ordered lunch with a co-worker at McDonalds, but when it came time to eat, the manager told her she couldn't stay inside.

"We were told that we weren't going to be able to eat our meal inside. That we would have to take our meal and go," Brady said

She said they were forced to eat their lunch in a hot car in the parking lot

Officials from McDonald's Canada said on Friday that they have apologized to Brady.

"Our procedures for assisting customers with special needs were not followed and we have addressed the situation directly with the restaurant staff to ensure this does not happen again."

But Manitoba Human Rights Commission officials said that apology may not be enough and the fast-food giant could face serious charges.

"If someone is denied service or an opportunity to eat in a restaurant with a guide dog that is a blatant violation of human-rights legislation," said Dianna Scarth, the executive director of the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The manager doesn't seem to be the sharpest pencil in the box. What should the consequences be?

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

The Manager has been reprimanded for not following/knowing procedure. That's fine. What we don't need is for the Manitoba Human Rights Commission to get busy with it. Their powers should be curtailed and I suspect Harper has that on the agenda - after the outrages in Alta and BC. Ezra Levant's book is a must read.

Anonymous

And what do you suggest every person fit or not for them selves. Good one there, For Harper it would not surprise me .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Start a new thread please.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

As usual - I don't have a clue what Pavlov is attempting to communicate - so a new thread would accomplish nothing.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Are we making room for another stand at the CMHR?

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

My daughter worked for Mickey Dee's a few years ago.

Their 'head office' here in Winnipeg is made up of a couple of 20-somethings that are completely clueless...lack understanding of their own operations and are very, very, VERY into their own little group of friends.

I'm not at all surprized at this situation.

Mickey needs a heavy fine and needs some major changes to their management or this will continue to happen.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I hope rotten Ronnies, goes bankrupt. I do not eat there, nor will I ever.

I like Wendy's "Hot and Juicy"

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

McDonalds has taken a dive for sure but so has many franchise/retail and that has more to do with the hiring-market than anything. It's not easy finding good people nowadays. A lot of places are staffed by zombies with zero customer service skills and the Managers do the best they can to keep the doors open. I live near the McDonalds head office in south Wpg and it has a restaurant on the property (log house one - kind of their flagship location). The kids eat/play there - not us. Give McDonalds full points for their effective marketing toward kids. Anyway, of the times we've gone through that drive-thru over the years - I'd say we turned around 60% of the time. No straws, no ketchup, cheese on a requested non, no forks for salad - you name it. One time in particular (a few years ago) I snapped and drove back and went into the head office. I had to show them this hamburger. It was a Big Mac. It looked like it was assembled by a blind monkey. Literally every layer was 2" to the left/right of the next. I asked for the person in charge and this guy came out to the reception. I showed him this mess and he offered me a coupon for a free one. I refused it and a refund and left the burger on his counter with the instruction to just let me know when they restored their once solid performance record. He called me a few days later and explained that they are on top of the situation all the time but young people/employees just don't seem to have the same work ethic/care as they used to. We agreed that the dynamic was now one of the employee sknowing that the employer needs them more than they need the employer. He said they were lucky that most even showed up on time. It was a candid discussion. Certainly not the way the employment reality was when I entered it as a teen in the 80's. You were constantly performing or else in fear of losing the job you felt lucky to get.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I used to be impressed with McD's committment to QSVC (quality, service, value and cleanliness), but that has long gone by the way side. When kids were younger, it was a convenient spot, but I have little reason to go there these days. Ray Kroc must be turning in his grave.

As far as the incident in question, some pimply faced kid couldn't figure out the difference between a guide dog and someones puppy, its done. No need for the Human Rights Nazis to be involved.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Nazi's is right. Glad to know I'm not the only free man left out here.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

simple answer, kick the dumbass out of the restaurant, not the seeing eye dog

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So for our next get together, why don't we all meet at the McDonalds at Mountain & Main. Everyone bring a white cane, and whatever dog you can find. See what they do?

It should be fun watching GOM explain that he has a Seeing Eye Cat. McDonalds under fire for kicking out Winnipeg guide dog Icon_biggrin

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Freeman wrote:So for our next get together, why don't we all meet at the McDonalds at Mountain & Main. Everyone bring a white cane, and whatever dog you can find. See what they do?

It should be fun watching GOM explain that he has a Seeing Eye Cat. McDonalds under fire for kicking out Winnipeg guide dog Icon_biggrin

I think thats an awesome idea

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I want to bring my monkey.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Will you promise to NOT spank your monkey?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I can not make that promise

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Can I bring a seeing eye Penguin?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The dog deserved to get kicked out-
he did not order anything and had no money on him!

http://www.elansofas.com

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Plus..."No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" Very Happy

http://www.photage.ca

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Out of curiosity. If I was blind and my friend acted as my sight-guide (who also happens to stink and slobber) - does he have a right to not be kicked out?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is your friend a registered guide friend?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

funny thing is, many places actually give free entry/free service to guide friends. A lot of the Amusement parks in the states are good examples.

Anonymous

I understand that interferring with a guide dog (even stopping to pet one) is against the law.

As such, shouldn't the jerkoff that kicked the person out of the restaurant be charged?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum