the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maybe it is time for to review and implement curfews?

+4
JT Estoban
Miz point
Freeman
Deank
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Anonymous

Portage Avenue has become what Main Street was a few years ago. That's progress eh.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Must have been the north side of Portage.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.

you know, its crap like this that is the exact reason why foot patrols in certain areas of the city are needed.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Now here is a reason for limiting one's reproductive "rights".

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Retroactively.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Time to change the name of Portage Ave to something a little less.....crime sounding? Maybe it is time for to review and implement curfews? Icon_razz

Curfews would be a good idea...and with a new heli-chopter on it's away, that'll give the flight crew something to do between high speed chases!

But with so many children's being allowed to run amok, we may need more heli-chopters to hunt them down...err...apprehend them and bring them home? (so that their parents can let them run wild and free!)

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

why bring them home at all? during summer months just tranc them from the air and let them sleep it off whereever they fall.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:why bring them home at all? during summer months just tranc them from the air and let them sleep it off whereever they fall.

because it's far cheaper than locking them up, only to be released the next day....so take them home, skip a few redundant steps and middle men/women. Saves everyone money!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Fly them five hours north and drop them off in the middle of nowhere. I suspect once they make that trek they'll be less likely to repeat...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I have news for ya grumps.

one of the gangs initiations is to be driven 2 hours outside the city in the middle of the night. Take the beat-in and then find their own way back.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Now expand that to FIVE hours. As the crow fly's. That put's them near Churchill doesn't it?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Really dont think they would care much

mind you the time spent walking would reduce crime for that many hours I guess

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

grumpy old man wrote:Now expand that to FIVE hours. As the crow fly's. That put's them near Churchill doesn't it?

Crow's don't fly that fast... that would put them in the middle of Lake Winnipeg. Which would be ideal.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Preventive detention

Preventive detention concerns imprisonment either without justification (the prisoner is not told the grounds for the arrest) or waiting for trial.

In most democracies, no one can be arrested without being told the grounds for such an arrest, except under rare and special circumstances (usually anti-terrorism legislation). An arrested citizen has to be brought before the nearest magistrate within a certain amount of time. The arrested person has the right to defend himself by a lawyer of his choice. Depending on the laws, this lawyer can be called for as soon as the detention starts, or sometimes days or weeks later.

However, there is an exception to this general provision. Under preventive detention, the government can imprison a person for some time. It means that if the government feels that a person being at liberty can be a threat to the law and order or the unity and integrity of the nation, it can detain or arrest that person to prevent him from doing this possible harm.

10pm all children need to be at home. All others should be rounded up and charged with breech of curfew. Then off for some nice preventative detention.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

what do you define as a child in that wish?

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Curfews for 10 and under 9pm, 10-12 10PM, 12-15 11PM, 16 - 18 Midnight unless accompnaied by a parent/guardian (must prove they are parent/guardian which would mean having to carry birth cert). There is no reason someone under the age of 18 should be out on the streets past midnight unaccompanied. As a responsible parent, if my under 18's were at a social/party/function and they weren't able to make it home by midnight, I would be there to pick him/her up. If that wasn't possible, then they had to be home by midnight or they were locked out of the house.

I realize the initial implementation of any type of curfew program would be costly as far as man power (police) but in the long run it may make things better. With the new cadet program being introduced this could be part of the program that the cadets could perform as opposed to a traffic cop.
I know that with the graduated license program there is a restriction about times that a learner/new driver can be on the street??? at least it was part of the graduated program when it was first implemented??? but there were special circumstances like going to and from work (had to prove the hours worked).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The only reason curfews work of course is because it gives police a reason to actually stop the kids and find out whats going on and see if maybe it is something that should not be. Like a gang of kids roving around downtown at 930PM.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What gets me is the report of alleged eight year-olds being a part of this f**kery. I remember some years ago a police bud telling me that it was, and most likely still is, routine for older gang member to use the little kids to do their dirty work like crawling through windows to let the bigger boys in to say someone's front porch so things can be removed. Or to use the kids, all under that magic age cut-off, to be drug runners from point A to B.....

I do not know how I feel or react to being swarmed in this city. I do know having traveled in Eastern European cities that swarming kids were used by the local gangsters (read "Roma" types) to confuse and intimidate the victim so an easy wallet boost could be perpetrated by a passing adult. I ran into this once in Skopje, saw it coming and did my best Chuck Norris roundhouse kick imitation....scared the little bastards off good. If I did that here chances are I would be arrested. Go figure.

Now, if I am downtown or out to go get a six pack, I use my bike, I do not linger and I try not to engage in any discourse with folks I am leery of. That is not the city I know but now that we are the stabbing capital? I would be more leery of a pack of kids than one lone adult. At least with the latter even with my condition, I still stand a chance of escaping with little or no injuries.....

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum