the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

City Recycling under review

+2
LivingDead
JT Estoban
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1City Recycling under review Empty City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:23 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/10/28/mb-recycling-consultations-winnipeg.html

Wow, good call, let the people have a say!

Who knew!

The buggers keep "recycling" my blue box, along with my recyclables...so the sooner I get a big bin, the better!

2City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/10/28/mb-recycling-consultations-winnipeg.html

Wow, good call, let the people have a say!

Who knew!

The buggers keep "recycling" my blue box, along with my recyclables...so the sooner I get a big bin, the better!

Actually I knew. I had mentioned it in the thread a while back. I was told by the head guy of Winnipeg's waste department.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

3City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:42 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

So where would these automated bins be placed, and how many bins will there be per household or neighborhood? Forcing people to carry recycling to a "depot" station without having the convenience of just making a trip to the back lane or curb might discourage many people from wanting to bother with the effort of recycling, and would end up becoming counterproductive to encouraging people to become more environmentally responsible.

4City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no carrying. The automated bins will be wheeled out to the curb just like the garbage bins will be. Where they will be stored in between garbage days... thats something I have no clue about for some houses.

one bin per household.

5City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:09 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:Who knew!

I guess LivingDead did!

City Recycling under review Icon_smile

Storage between garbage days....well, where do you store your garbage between garbage days? Yeah, it's bigger than the standard recycling bin...which means if you like our household, you wouldn't need extra blue boxes (that keep getting "recycled" by the recycling crew) or extra cardboard boxes to put your recycling in.

As for the number of bins allowed, IMO, if a household wanted to purchase a second one, they should be permitted to do so...

6City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:
JT Estoban wrote:Who knew!

I guess LivingDead did!

City Recycling under review Icon_smile

Storage between garbage days....well, where do you store your garbage between garbage days? Yeah, it's bigger than the standard recycling bin...which means if you like our household, you wouldn't need extra blue boxes (that keep getting "recycled" by the recycling crew) or extra cardboard boxes to put your recycling in.

As for the number of bins allowed, IMO, if a household wanted to purchase a second one, they should be permitted to do so...

From what I was told the bin will be the same size of the regular garbage bin 240L which is way more recycling room than the 2 small bins I have now.

Here are some pictures in case you have not seen them. They have wheels, and you don't need bags, just dump your indoor blue box into this outdoor bin. On garbage day wheel bin to curb and and leave till till they empty it. No more fricking cats ripping apart my bagged garbage.

City Recycling under review Row-recycle-bins_%7E1773481 City Recycling under review Hispanic-man-looking_%7EBLD042905
The regular garbage bins are the same but grey in color.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

7City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"From what I was told the bin will be the same size of the regular garbage bin 240L which is way more recycling room than the 2 small bins I have now. "

and that the problem right there. You were told by a water and waste guy what the decision will be... even before the council decided to ALLOW people to be asked.

8City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:40 am

Anonymous

The entire proposal is predicated on Sammy's belief/pronouncement that the city cannot get people to work as 'sanitation collectors' or whatever they're now called.

That to me is another lie. It's complete bullcrap I believe.

Individuals have little clout...big business (waste management) on the other hand can give big bucks to whomever they wish to see in power. Connecting the dots yet??

9City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm afraid you lost me JTF.

10City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:10 am

Anonymous

The fix is in Gom.

We will be going completely automated and in time, restricted to the amount of garbage we are allowed to dispose of without additional charges.

11City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

When we had like 9 bags of just leaves on our last garbage day....and we already use 2 blue bins for recycling.

12City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:20 am

Anonymous

Does anybody buy into the statement that the city cannot get people to work as garbage collectors? What do they pay...$22-15 an hour?

13City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I didn't think the city had anymore garbage collectors...garbage had been a tendered contract to the private sector....thought the south end was the last of the public works garbage crews...?

But no, I don't buy that statement at all....garbage collectors are important!

14City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:28 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think many companies are having trouble finding good reliable labourers even at $15/hr. Many peeps are hired and don't show up again after they receive their first pay cheque.

Canadians have become very selective in what jobs we'll do. Even if it means not working at all.

Trades are screaming for people to enter those fields. It used to be blue collar jobs were respected jobs. Not so much any more. Although I hear that mindset is changing somewhat.

So yes, I believe the city is having trouble hiring sanitation engineers.

15City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:36 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

There were multiple bids submitted for the Automated garbage program in the Northwest.

All but one of those bids included continuing with manual collection. There is no labour problem that is a complete lie.

16City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:43 am

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Companies are looking for good people....

And some good people are looking for good companies to join!

17City Recycling under review Empty Re: City Recycling under review Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:04 am

Anonymous

We've had the same crew picking up our garbage for a few years...hell..as far back as I can remember as a matter of fact, so the turn-over can't be much.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum