the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

why do we have city police?

+6
AdamX
LivingDead
grumpy old man
JT Estoban
AGEsAces
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope..nothing to do with reducing it to one entity from two.

I just dont understand why we bother with our own force. It seems fairly obvious that the mayor and council is not in any control of the force so I am womdering why we bother with the headache.

27why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

they aren't supposed to be in control of the police force.

the police force is not supposed to be a political "tool" to wield and control...they are supposed to enforce the laws as they are prescribed...and protect the law-abiding citizens.

keep the politicians OUT of law-enforcement...and everyone will be much happier.

http://www.photage.ca

28why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the people we elect are indeed supposed to be in control of the police.
By in control I mean things like.. Mandating neighbourhood beat police. Mandating a budget, mandating rules that the police have to operate under.

I do not mean tell officer A to go arrest person B.

29why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:26 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sounds like person "B" had it coming anyway .... why do we have city police? - Page 2 Icon_smile ....

You can "elect" the folks who are supposed to be in charge.

If they are negligent of their duties and responsibilities (sounds like what your complaint is) then they should be booted out of office.

If there is no procedure in place to boot them from elected office due to willful negligence or disregarding responsibilities then all we can do is wait until the next election and hopefully a new, competent, candidate will win that seat.

30why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Its not that they are negligent. Its more of a tail wagging the dog thing. And I figure if there is no real reason why we have our own police force, then why bother with the hassle?

31why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

....just throwing an idea out here....

Accountability?

We can fire our police chief whenever the situation calls for it....kinda hard to fire the head of the RCMP when they f*ck up....

32why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I like in the USA how some places ask their citizens to elect their police chief/sheriff, if they perform poorly they get a new sheriff via elections. I'd like to see that for judges too. Elected judges, magistrates can be appointed but provincial judges should be elected. Federal judges should be elected by our MP's and make it non-partisan. no party whips.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

33why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JT Estoban wrote:....just throwing an idea out here....

Accountability?

We can fire our police chief whenever the situation calls for it....kinda hard to fire the head of the RCMP when they f*ck up....

when is the last time we fired any officer.. never mind the chief

34why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't see how we could fire THIS police chief, what with his big hair...

35why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:42 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Wasn't the last chief shown the door? or...."encouraged" to retire or something?

36why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

The last chief of the RCMP was forced to retire Smile).

http://www.photage.ca

37why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JT Estoban wrote:Wasn't the last chief shown the door? or...."encouraged" to retire or something?
our last chief left of his own free will. There were absolutely no pending reports or scandals of any kind.

why do we have city police? - Page 2 Icon_wink

38why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

LivingDead wrote:I like in the USA how some places ask their citizens to elect their police chief/sheriff, if they perform poorly they get a new sheriff via elections. I'd like to see that for judges too. Elected judges, magistrates can be appointed but provincial judges should be elected. Federal judges should be elected by our MP's and make it non-partisan. no party whips.
I would like to see elected prosecutors. Then maybe they would start prosecuting for the major crime(s) the perp committed instead of dealing them down to next to nothing.

39why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I wonder... how much could our police force cost be cut simply by electing judges, prosecutors and the chief of police?

40why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Anonymous

Deank wrote:
JT Estoban wrote:Wasn't the last chief shown the door? or...."encouraged" to retire or something?
our last chief left of his own free will. There were absolutely no pending reports or scandals of any kind.

Didn't he bury some reports...something to do with Driscoll or Sophinow (sp) and George Dangerfield?

41why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am sure I dont have any clue what you are talking about.....

42why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Tongue planted firmly in cheek...

43why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:05 am

Anonymous

Deank wrote:I wonder... how much could our police force cost be cut simply by electing judges, prosecutors and the chief of police?

You have never seen the bs that creates south of the border. And where would this affect the police as there money is seperate from the judiciary. Some of the courts are federel funded and some are provincle .

44why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:37 am

Anonymous

Deank wrote:I am sure I dont have any clue what you are talking about.....

Ok Ok...I get it now.Wink

...but some people (I'd say most Winnipeggers) don't have a clue as to why he left so quickly

45why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:
Deank wrote:I wonder... how much could our police force cost be cut simply by electing judges, prosecutors and the chief of police?

You have never seen the bs that creates south of the border. And where would this affect the police as there money is seperate from the judiciary. Some of the courts are federel funded and some are provincle .
So the US judiciary is in shambles as a result of the bs this creates south of the border?

46why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Politically appointed judges and public healthcare, thats what makes us better than the Americans.
why do we have city police? - Page 2 886966

47why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
Pavolo wrote:

So the US judiciary is in shambles as a result of the bs this creates south of the border?

No but it is alot easier to corrupt it by getting who you want in as Sheriff , and it has been known to happen .

48why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

So it is no different than Canadian judiciary then?

49why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pavolo wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:
Pavolo wrote:

No but it is alot easier to corrupt it by getting who you want in as Sheriff , and it has been known to happen .

so you are saying that voting people in for 4 year terms causes more corruption then appointing them for life?

well I would like to be the first to nominate myself for leader for life

50why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:40 pm

toban71

toban71

DeanK, did you ever run for office?

51why do we have city police? - Page 2 Empty Re: why do we have city police? Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:41 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup

why?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum