the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

begun the lot wars have

+5
AGEsAces
sputnik
Miz point
grumpy old man
Deank
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

sputnik

contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:yeah those are reasons why I was thinking this would not be the best place for them

will their clients go.. .eww.... no I dont want to be downtown...

They are currently in Elmwood. Not sure how downtown would be any worse. Especially with the current revitalization of Main St.

27begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:50 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

perception.. but then again.. it might make it better and thats probably why they are getting the "loan"

28begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think its shameful that in an NDP riding there are not more facilities for youth recreation like there are in other ridings.....makes one wonder being that it is the New Dunce Party in power. You don't see Youth for Christ needing to build facilities in River Heights or Southdale. It's not like the ruling party has not had enough time to address the issues in the core.....I guess there have been more important matters like developing lame tourism slogans and campaigns.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

29begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

MizP- did you see the picture of your front yard that was in the Free Press this morning?

http://www.elansofas.com

30begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Garbage piles up in Point Douglas

Residents slow to adopt bin system

By: Adam Wazny

17/02/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 3

begun the lot wars have - Page 2 1895574

31begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I pretty sure that the PC party did something when they were last in power to prevent the NDP from taking corrective action.

You know, just like health care. The NDPs can't fix it because the PCs fired some nurses and slashed spending 12 years ago.

32begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What part of Point Douglas is that rosen? We have the bins. Unless of course the so-called Freep reporters are once again reporting on the WARD of PD which does not take in my area which is part of Mynarski ward.....

33begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I recognize your front steps and I can see Helwig in the background dumping trash, and MrP taking his picture! lol

34begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Rosen if I did not know you I would kick your ass..... begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Lol Chain link fences are tacky and you know how much I hate tacky!

36begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

YFC is clearly an evangelical organization, but they at least they are doing something. Has any one else put something on the table to provide kids with positive alternatives?

I can't say that I think that particular location is a good one for a youth centre. You have to go where the kids are, rather than draw them in.

On another note, interesting to consider the change that has occured in that area. It was once the hub of commerce in the city, with representation from all the banks, the most prestigious hotel in the city, etc, and now I wonder how many "businesses" are actually paying taxes in the immediate vicinity.

37begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well isn't that just awesome of Pat Martin
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/mp-takes-aim-at-youth-centre-84681052.html

"But Winnipeg Centre MP Pat Martin is slamming a proposed city contribution to the project as "taxpayer-funded proselytization.""

oh for the love of god. hey NDP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FCK OFF! We voted in this council to run our city let them fcking run it!
If you are an MLA go deal with provincial stuff. If you are an MP go deal with Federal stuff. got it?

38begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:09 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I really wonder what the people who dont want religon involved with kids would rather happened? 10 Million in tax payer money and then another million per year to run a building in an area already VERY HEAVILY serviced for taxpayer funded youth programming?

39begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

...and if you're an NDP Member of Parliament, shut the frick up, because no matter what you say, you can't do anything about it.

40begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

At least if it is YFC that puts up a centre it will be a centre for all the kids, regardless of colour or ethnic background.

41begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I just dont understand the bizarro world comment of
"desperately needed recreation outlet for inner-city youth"

that area is one of the most heavily funded areas for programming for youth in the entire province. with at least a MILLION dollars or more of funding from the city, province, feds, and private faith and non faith based organizations and people.

42begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'll be the first to say that I like this organization. One of the boys (he's now a young man) that played soccer with my sons and whom I coached got involved with YFC. This is a kid from a single parent family, limited contact with his father, etc. Anyway, he started hanging around there, got more involved, and eventually got hired on a part time basis. Nothing wrong with that.

Check their financials, most of their money is from gifts from individuals.

And the problem is......?

43begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:I just dont understand the bizarro world comment of
"desperately needed recreation outlet for inner-city youth"

that area is one of the most heavily funded areas for programming for youth in the entire province. with at least a MILLION dollars or more of funding from the city, province, feds, and private faith and non faith based organizations and people.

Two words....no coordination.

44begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Anonymous

How much of that money actually gets to the kids?

We muct not forget that there's a business to this...people actually make jobs for themselves with the grants that they get...not a lot more in some cases.

edit: I'm not talking about the Youth for Christ group...just in general reference.

Last edited by JTF on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

45begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Seems to me that this would be a FANTASTIC opportunity for the city, prov, feds to jump in and throw some more money in make this an even better Centre and then close down the city run/City community centres in the area that are VERY lacking in volunteers and are run by city staff costing a very significant amount of money.

46begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:09 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I have been to the YFC Firehall on Talbot, The Edge Skatepark and Camp Cedarwood.

All of them make the city run community centres look like amateurs. Their programs are run and planned by people with a real passion for kids. How many other communities in the city have indoor skateparks, climbing walls and summer camps with extreme sports?

YFC knows how to actually appeal to kids. The city only knows how to appeal to voters.

47begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:How much of that money actually gets to the kids?

We muct not forget that there's a business to this...people actually make jobs for themselves with the grants that they get...not a lot more in some cases.

edit: I'm not talking about the Youth for Christ group...just in general reference.

Thats kind of my point when I refer to no coordination. Each little organization that receives public money has to do all those things which take money from direct program delivery, yet there is no coordination of activities and administration to minimize those costs and provide maximum funds to programs.

Charities which serve youth, and all others for that matter, have to provide for the same administration that a for profit business would, and sometimes more. All those grants come with reporting requirements (the feds are the worst), buildings still have to meet code requirements, safety and health, employment standards, payroll, benefits administration, vehicles have to be maintained, general liability insurance, etc, etc, etc.

DeanK brings up a good point. What about the publicly funded community centres? Why are they not filling these needs?

48begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:38 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I have friends who work for the Vineyard (on Main & Sutherland) as well as for Inner City Youth Alive (Aberdeen & Salter) and the money for programming comes directly from private donations and grants applied for. I don't know how much either of these places get from the "big" funders (United Way, Wpg Foundation, if at all) but I do know they apply every year. A big chunk of the programming money comes from the church community each site is associated with. As for the employee's pay cheques, they individuals raise money on there own through direct request/donations from their friends and/or family members and from their church organizations. Whatever money they are able to raise for their salary is separate from the programming money for the kids. I don't know if that is how YFC operates but it is a very unique way of raising your own paycheque, makes you really put value to what it is you actually do for a living.

49begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous

DeanK brings up a good point. What about the publicly funded community centres? Why are they not filling these needs?

They are to a certain extent.

The point to this is that there are all kinds of people out there that take advantage of a situation to make a job for themselves.

The kids are of secondary consideration...their own positions are of utmost importance to them...the kids secondary.

Back in prehistoric times, at BOCC when I was involved, $3.5 M went through the CC through a dozen organizations that had offices in the center. Little effect was received by the community.

50begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:

They are to a certain extent.

The point to this is that there are all kinds of people out there that take advantage of a situation to make a job for themselves.

The kids are of secondary consideration...their own positions are of utmost importance to them...the kids secondary.

Perhaps. However YFC has been operating in Winnipeg for several decades now.

I figure they have their payroll sources figured out by now.

I get the impression that the money is really only being used for a new facility to consolidate their multiple buildings scattered throughout the city.

51begun the lot wars have - Page 2 Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Many organizations get sidetracked from their raison e'tre in the pursuit of funding, or the personal whim of someone involved in the organization.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum