the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

begun the lot wars have

+5
AGEsAces
sputnik
Miz point
grumpy old man
Deank
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1begun the lot wars have Empty begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Christian-group-proposes-9-million-youth-centre-84619012.html
"A non-profit group called Youth For Christ wants to build a $9.3-million youth centre on what’s now an empty lot at the northwest corner of Higgins Avenue and Main Street."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/aboriginal-legislature-for-downtown-84437577.html
"One of the sites AMC is interested in for the Governance House is the CentreVenture-owned land on the northwest corner of Main Street and Higgins Avenue.
CentreVenture CEO Ross McGowan said the agency already has plans for that site, and will make an announcement within a few weeks. "

2begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Well, there are FOUR corners. I say build both in Transcona. There are enough "problems" in that area.

3begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Anonymous

Wouldn't it be better to keep the problems confined to one area?

Isn't that what screwed up Portage Avenue?

4begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Tired of the do-gooders that come in with strings attached to their "goodness" and as to the AMC I "reserve" judgment until I hear more?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

5begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Who would have thought that you would have two groups interested in the same plot of land in Winnipeg at the same time. Regardless. I hope YFC gets the property and that AMC can find another suitable downtown location. Its not like there is any real shortage of empty lots downtown.

What ever happened to the Thunderbird House? Are the First Nations people still locked out after years of neglect?

6begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:18 pm

Anonymous

Ha Ha Ha....man...it's just rolling off you two guys.

I "reserve" judgment

What ever happened to the Thunderbird House? Are the First Nations people still locked out after years of neglect?

lol!

7begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

website is still up
http://thunderbirdhouse.com/index.html

nothing since September though... but that does not mean much.

as to this location. I dunno.. Would AMC be better there? or YFC?

Seems that YFC has an actual plan right now so I would rather they acted first and got something going. But with all the other Aboriginal items in the area. would AMC be better off being there and making it easier for them to connect?

Would YFC be better served not right there?

8begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:website is still up

I guess they are back in the building.

Adam Beach made his appearance there to talk about the new Tommy Prince movie.

9begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:Seems that YFC has an actual plan right now so I would rather they acted first and got something going. But with all the other Aboriginal items in the area. would AMC be better off being there and making it easier for them to connect?

Like with any business it should probably be a first come first served situation. No sense in allowing one group to stall the other and have both projects fail.

A good couple of questions would be...

- How many people would each building bring to the area on a daily basis?
- Who will make a more positive impact to the local community?

At any rate. As long as both end up downtown. I am fine with that.

10begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Anonymous

You guys do know that these buildings are being financed by you and me eh?

11begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup

12begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:32 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

dammit...i was going to buy that space and build a new children's centre Sad.

http://www.photage.ca

13begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:You guys do know that these buildings are being financed by you and me eh?

Yes unfortunately.

However that is the fact of the matter when it comes to living in Winnipeg. At the end of the day several levels of government will be financing all sorts of employees and offices in this city.

I would just rather them be downtown with their staff using transit (or increasing the demand for parking) and visiting area restaurants and retail stores around their building.

Adding people (private or public sector) downtown is a good thing.

14begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Anonymous

Empire building is never a good thing. It just perpetuates the entitlement thing. imo anyway.

15begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I do however like that the one group has raised 3.1 itself, has asked for a loan from us ( city wise). and the rest it is seeking from the Feds. No mention of annual operating expenses and such.

16begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:Ha Ha Ha....man...it's just rolling off you two guys.

I "reserve" judgment

lol!

Can't help it man.....it's those coffee beans.

17begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

" Youth For Christ!" What a horrible name to tie anything religious to help people in need. What is so stupid is to tie only Christians or those who will say theu believe in Christ may apply, What about the other 36 religions??

http://www.elansofas.com

18begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They can go and complaing to Gail and get their story told in a new museum Smile

19begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Anonymous

Sometimes when a group says it has raised money, they neglect to mention that it was from some governmental organization.

Professional grant seekers know all the little places to look for grants. So don't be fooled. Could be from collecting bottles...but....

20begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:website is still up

as to this location. I dunno.. Would AMC be better there? or YFC?

Seems that YFC has an actual plan right now so I would rather they acted first and got something going. But with all the other Aboriginal items in the area. would AMC be better off being there and making it easier for them to connect?

Would YFC be better served not right there?

Not in my opinion.....most of the children live north of Higgins over in the Manitoba Housing Gulag which is already served by Turtle Island Community Centre. As well another mission operate on Main and Jarvis supposedly with some sort of youth component.

21begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:43 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:" Youth For Christ!" What a horrible name to tie anything religious to help people in need. What is so stupid is to tie only Christians or those who will say theu believe in Christ may apply, What about the other 36 religions??

Youth for Christ isn't exactly an organization that helps "needy" people. They are more directed at providing kids and teens something to do and meet other young people that aren't interested in just being lazy or joining a gang.

They currently operate The Edge Skatepark, Samson's Gym, The Firehall on Talbot and Camp Cedarwood among other facilities.

http://yfcwinnipeg.com/programs/

22begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:Sometimes when a group says it has raised money, they neglect to mention that it was from some governmental organization.

Professional grant seekers know all the little places to look for grants. So don't be fooled. Could be from collecting bottles...but....

I doubt that would be the case for YFC. They have the backing of some seriously wealthy people in Manitoba.

23begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah those are reasons why I was thinking this would not be the best place for them

will their clients go.. .eww.... no I dont want to be downtown...

24begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Why the thumbs down? I thought the thumbs down was removed?

Stand up coward and say something.

25begun the lot wars have Empty Re: begun the lot wars have Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:yeah those are reasons why I was thinking this would not be the best place for them

will their clients go.. .eww.... no I dont want to be downtown...

They are currently in Elmwood. Not sure how downtown would be any worse. Especially with the current revitalization of Main St.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum