the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments?

+10
Goth_chic
usedtoliveinstb
rosencrentz
Deank
Triniman
sputnik
Miz point
Jondo
grumpy old man
Outsider
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should Pets Be Allowed in Appartments

Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_lcap60%Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_rcap 60% [ 12 ]
Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_lcap15%Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_rcap 15% [ 3 ]
Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_lcap25%Should The Law Be Changed To Force Landlords To Allow Pets In Appartments? Vote_rcap 25% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Last edited by Outsider on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

No property owner should be forced to do anything he/she does not want to do with their own property.

It would be nice though if they would allow pets with a proper deposit and with a provision in the lease that gives property owner rights to evict if the pet owner does not comply with all property rules regarding the care and handling of pets.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I don't know anything about the rental business besides what I read in the paper. But how easy is it to toss someone out of an apartment? Especially in the winter?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

At least one sandbox member is a property owner. He says it can be a real challenge to actually & legally get someone to leave.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

A certain NO. And tenants have more rights than the landlord but that's another matter.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Definitely a resounding NO.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:At least one sandbox member is a property owner. He says it can be a real challenge to actually & legally get someone to leave.

This is how insane it is....

I actually have someone that has broken into my place and has taken up residence again...after having abandoned it.

The former tenant moved back in....with the council of the fcuken police yet.

This story is going on at present, so I'll keep everyone informed....

....but that's how crazy it is.

Anonymous

Yes being a Landlord is the last thing I would be, have heard to many horror tales from two I know

Anonymous

There are a number of things in the Residential Tenancies Act the need changing badly, and this is what Gerrard champions??? tsk tsk tsk on the Liberal.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF are you a member of PPMA?

Anonymous

No. I'm an amateur in their terms.

One of the problems within the landlord-business is that there are a lot of mom-n-pop operations, like mine, that fall through the representation crack.

Some years ago I tried to change the law that allows the city to put water charges onto the tax bill.

Right now I have been trying to have the water shut off for two weeks...and they won't....but they will have the right to put the charges onto my taxes.

Go figure eh.

...but, I couldn't get more than one other landlord to join me in the fight.

As soon as I get out of this stupid circus, I'm selling.

We are actually thinking of leaving the city also.

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

There should be no law or even a consideration of a law.

What a landlord allows in their building is their own business. If the crazy cat lady doesn't like it, she can find an apartment somewhere else.

The government should NOT be involved in such matters.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Let the free market decide.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Should the government be involved in some aspects of rentals? Well yes definately. Some aspects such as safety and such. But deciding that an apartment should be ORDERED to allow pets? whatever politician that is backing that is a complete and utter moron and has lost all respect from the populace.

Maybe this is Gerrards swan song and he will leave politics after this and that will somehow revitalize the political Landscape in MB.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Force a landlord to accept dogs that will pee on the carpet? Hard to believe?
I used to do business with a residential property manager who was having trouble getting paid! he went in and simply removed the door to the suite and when the tenant came back "home" he freaked out, and packed up and left, with his expensive TV, and sound system.
This was a pretty nice apartment just across from The Bay! The manager said, I have to leave him in the space, but nowhere does it say that I have to provide him with a front door! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

"We get elderly people in particular, or young people, forced out of apartments because they have pets. The pets have nowhere to go and they end up here," said Bill McDonald, the humane society's executive director.
How can a person who is forbidden to have pets in a rental, be forced out ?
It makes no sense at all!
If an apartment has carpeting and replacement is $3000 ,then let the pet owner have a special deposit to cover the potential damage. The landlord would probably approve, then.
When I was in the carpet business , much of my business was from replacing carpet and pad, all stinking from some pet owner's loveable dog, who was left alone all day!

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

IF someone was allowed the pet when they originally leased. Then I say NO, they should not be forced out. IF however they signed a lease/rental agreement that specifically said no pets and they violated that rule... then well, too bad so sad... leave now.

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

In Ontario there is provincial legislation that invalides all anti-pet clauses in bailment contracts (leases). I would not be suprised if Manitoba has the same type of law because all Canadian common law is more or less based on the Ontario system.

Anonymous

JTF wrote:

Right now I have been trying to have the water shut off for two weeks...and they won't....but they will have the right to put the charges onto my taxes.

Well finally!!

I met with the Manager of Investigation Services at the Residential Tenancies Branch this morning and they did get through to Water Services and the water has finally been shut off.

Plus, the Rentalsman now officially considers the jerkoff that busted into my place a squatter and so does the Water Branch.

The city had a hard time coming to terms with a squatter existing. It's never happened to them before.

The police are the only ones at this point considering this guy to be a tenant.

It'll be interested to see how long he lasts without water.

The Muse and I are going to go to the Cop Shop and she is going to swear out a complaint (the place is in her name of course)against this momma and just see what the cops do.

They must react to it in some way...as I do have an Order from a Court that they cannot just deny the existance of.

[note: at this time I cannot say why we haven't done so already.]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

How can it not be considered breaking and entering?

BUT JTF.... you know as well as anyone probably that turning the water off is going to cause you some HUGE problems when they do get removed... Maybe just go purchase some very high quality face masks/air filter thingys right now.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The police consider the squatter to be a tenant? What a fricken joke.

Anonymous

Oh ya. They being real dickheads. You haven't heard the worst of it yet. I'll start a thread once this is settled and show just what a fcuked up police force we have.

If he isn't out by tomorrow am, I'm contacting the Health Dept to have them declare the place insanitary....no running water eh...and if they placard the place, they remove the occupants I believe. Not sure about this but I'll check it out.

But, in any event, I've already told the cops that I am holding them responsible for any and all damages to the place.

I can't really get into it further, but the cops have been on notice since January 16, 2010 over this matter.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You know I would never be a landlord. I was a caretaker of a small 4-plex for a year, and that opened my eyes. We had a tenant who didn't pay any rent for almost 8 months and we couldn't get her out. Bizarre.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF...was there a lease agreement in place when they were actually a tenant?

Was there any kind of end-of-lease terms in the document?

Maybe just to play devil's advocate here...but it IS a two-way street.

On one hand, I agree, you have title of the land/unit, therefore you can do what you want.
On the other, if you leased the property to someone without a clear tenant agreement...basically you gave permission for someone to be there without giving them reasons for kicking them out.

And remember, NOBODY ever thinks it's THEIR fault. THEY are probably telling all their friends how evil you are as a landlord, and all the terrible things you've done (or not done/fixed) while they lived there, and how THEY are in the "right" and you owe them...not the other way around.

Personally, I would love to be a landlord. I think it would be fun. But I'd also make sure I had agreements in place and signed indicating what would happen come eviction time. I would HOPE that I wouldn't have to evict anyone...but if it had to happen...I should be able to walk into my own property and say "get the hell out", and have a cop behind me with a gun enforcing it.

Tenants only have as many "rights" as the landlord is willing to give them. If they sign them away before they go in though...it's easy to get them out.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Tenants have to leave once proper notice has been given. That's really as two-way-street as it gets though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum