the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

the city decides to "not raise taxes" yet again

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Anonymous

In an email, a spokesperson for Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Ron Lemieux said: "We are watching the discussions between the city and Manitoba Hydro very closely and it's premature to say what role the province might play."

The Province is very concerned.

They believe that only they can use Hydro as a cash-cow.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

The province is really concerned because they have no idea what to do with this Sammy already...He's losing it...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

1) turned several streets of 2 hour free parking into paid parking
2) trying to tax the tax on untilities
3) new bylaw zoning memorandum
4) garbage bins that only hold X amount of trash
5) ....

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Sammy is trying to apply a municipal tax over the PST and GST tax total and thinks he can do it...Hum!!!...He believes that a municipal "tax" by-law superseedes a Provincial or Federal Tax Law...and yup...Check out the article and notice how Sammy mentions Police Helicopters which in my translation goes as follows...

Sammy already knows that province says no to funding the operational cost of helicopter...and Sammy grrrrrrrr...Sammy go after MB Hydro...so Sammy can have city pay for operation cost of Heli...and "It's Classic" because now Sammy looks more like...Da!!! instead...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the tax on tax that really irks me is the GST that we must pay on the recyling levy we pay when we buy bottles of stuff.

When I first noticed it I called revenue Canada and spoke with a lady there. Her answer.. and I am NOT making this up was.

"Well I just went to Safeway last night and they charged me too, so it must be right"

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

You gotta love answers like that and don't you wish carrying bats around could do wonderful things for some of these government agencies...and Let's play ball...Oops...That was your head...Sorry...GGF

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

And then when they wake up...Tell them you told them so...GGF

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

You missed a few...

Higher fees at dump...re new garbage bins and because many will have to go...Increased last Oct.(jumped)

Higher front levy tax...Not specifically raised but kept as is and incorporated as the whole property tax...The front levy tax was what the city was using for sewer and water upgrades...at any rate...Sammy raised our sewer and water rates instead...Hum!!!

Higher sewer and mainly water rates...to "now" pay for new water upgrades...

No problem Sammy says...double, triples just like he plays ball...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Higher fees at dump"
that was a provincially mandated one. the city had little choice but to adopt it.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

That what the city claims but that isn't entirely true..The city is famous for blaming the province...It's Sammy's favorite spin because he believes that he should be king...GGF

Last edited by GGF on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Please vote for GGF if you like...
Sammy....

S...Scammed
A...All
M...My
M...Money
Y...Yesterday
GGF

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

GGF wrote:That's what the city claims but that isn't entirely true..The city is famous for blaming the province...It's Sammy's favorite spin because he believes that he should be king...GGF

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Quoting yourself GGF? Try not to be obsessed by sammy. That can't be healthy...

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Not...Just funny sometimes...and sometimes serious...GGF

Anonymous

Deank wrote:"Higher fees at dump"
that was a provincially mandated one. the city had little choice but to adopt it.
The city owns the dump where do you get this one .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and the non city owned dumps had to raise fees as well. It was a provincial environment regulation handed down by the province. I can find the order if need be

Anonymous

I know the fee went up but I thought that was cause the city wanted more money.

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

It jump from $2:00 to $10:00 for res. so what do you call that?...and...

And now multiply the 8 bucks by many since October and many more now because of the new garbage bins etc...and...

Not to mention go from $22.50 to $43.50 a kg for commercial and also add that difference now and what do you call that?...

And none of those fees where "Arbitrary" or imposed by the province...

The province simply introduced new legislation that Brady and or BFI were already mainly in compliance with and they never told Brady or BFI what to charge for dump fees and or any other small garbage dumps what they should charge as garbage dump fees in the rest of the province...The province never has...

Sammy just used it to spin his crap and justify his fee increases for Wpg and blamed it on the Province...

The legislation that the province introduced affected all the small dumps in the rest of the province and in "dramatic and costly ways" which are in other municipalities around the province and not Wpg...and...

And the reason the province introduced the new legislation was to "Protect" the underground water "systems" before another disaster happens like "Walkerton"...

None the less...The legislation really didn't affect Brady or BFI much because of their size alone...

They were already in compliance with many if not all of those requirements by the province...

The dump fee increases are simply a money grab by the city and were a "prelude" to offset the cost of the new automated garbage bin system being introduced now...

And if you ever wonder about where does Sammy get the money to spend all the time...Well that's one of the ways he did it without most being aware of it...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

note the... effective X date the operators must charge X dollars (to be paid to the prov) of which it is supposed to be rebated back to municipalities

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

So where did you find that because I couldn't...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the pdf? or the stuff about the actual amounts and such?

I found the pdf on the gov website it was part of the tax changes implemented this year and this is a discussion paper on it

GGF

GGF
major-contributor
major-contributor

Found it...Page 5...

July 01, 2009 the province legislates a minimum fee of $10.00 a ton and not (a kg) which works out to roughly $4.55 a kg and or not a minimum fee of $10.00 as is being charged right now...and the province will rebate 80% of all fees collected ...and...

a) And Residential garbage brought in by joe smoe doesn't even come near that weight classification of a ton one way or the other...so $10.00 instead $4.55 is an extra $5.45 charged by the city for what?...
And now what is 80% of $10.00...2 bucks for the province...and 8 bucks for Sammy...so yeah he is wrong and then some in my opinion...And the province really didn't increase anything other than to give it will back to the city mainly because the province wants the city to implement more recycling which the city has no idea how it's going to do that because the money is already used for the new garbage bin collection being introduced instead...
And Sammy certainly didn't tell any of us that he was getting back 80% of what was collected from the garbage fee increases now did he...No...He simply bashed the province over it...Period...

b) And now Commercial garbage disposal rates/fees...from $22.50 to $43.50 why?...and for the record those are collected at the dump and paid with our tax dollars...When the city p/u's up our garbage it first pays for the fee and then it is refunded by the province and do the math what the extra dollars are for the city there...GGF

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the city was already charging whatever it was...$20 per load? that was both revenue and cost recovery for the operation of the dump. now the prov is saying you must charge X more. dont worry we will give 80% back.. BUT they dont say it will be directly back and the understanding is that it will come back in the form of other types of rebates for environmental iniatives. SO it wont be coming back to pay for the operation of the dump.

fees at Brady went up as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum