the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

RAISE TAXES! says WSD1

+3
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:17 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Like thats a surprise
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Winnipeg-School-Division-trustees-40080922.html

I love this little snippet..
"The division says that property taxes would go up two per cent, or $25.11 on a home assessed at a value of $100,000, under the proposed budget."

uhuh... sure.... let signore that property values have all increased drastically.

2RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 am

Anonymous

Tax Revolt Time?

3RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 am

Anonymous

Hmmm...what would happen if a lot of people in WSD 1 didn't pay their School portion for, say 6 months?

We could pay it into a Trust Account, blah, blah....just to fcuk the System up...perhaps Doer will step in and stop this merry-go-round?

4RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

who are these people kidding?

Average Assessed Value of WSD1 home in 2008 $76475, average assessed value of WSD1 home in 2009 $76475
They want to raise the mill rate 0.56 which on the outset looks not bad.. except that they are apparently ignorning the fact that housing assessed value have gone up substanially

My school taxes will almost double if they go throught with this proposed change.

5RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:34 am

Anonymous

OUCH!
Seriously...enough is enough!

We should start a movement to finally bring this issue to a head!!

6RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

something must be wrong with my math right?
ooo wait.. is it 2010 that my new propery tax values kick in?

7RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 am

Anonymous

Don't ask me...I'm still having trouble with 9 X 7.

8RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Wait a GD minute. I don't use the school division or the services it provides. Never will. I therefore don't wish to pay. Let's start this taxpayer revolt.

9RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

GOM GOM GOM.. then you are going to love thier myth/fact discussion on their website
Myth
Education has no relationship with
property ownership.
Reality Check
Historically, public education in both
Canada and the U.S. has been governed
and financed by local property owners.
It has been postulated that this model
allows for greater community voice and
control in public education matters.
Moreover, strong schools add real value
to a community and to the quality of life
for its residents.

http://ww.wsd1.org/board/Budget/2009-2010%20Budget/ForWebsiteUPADATEFirstDraftBudgetREVISEDasof1120am.pdf

10RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:45 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Like how they disprove the myth by saying.. its always been that way. Then go on to say..."It has been postulated that this model
allows for greater community voice and
control in public education matters."

note the "postulated" not proven, or researched or anything real...

11RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:49 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Wait a GD minute. I don't use the school division or the services it provides. Never will. I therefore don't wish to pay. Let's start this taxpayer revolt.

When they lie to us...they've gotta' go.

I'm in.

We've got time yet, as June is when it's due isn't it?

12RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

If you look at the Freep article it is mentioning that there is a public consultation meeting tonight at the Board office starting at 7PM. So if you are so against this increase, use your democratic right and make your views known.

13RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Anonymous

Seriously?? Do they think it is necessary to ask the public (property owners only) if they want a tax increase?

Duh!

14RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:33 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

And the budget is approved by the end of March so you only have a few weeks to oppose the increases before the final budget goes to the government for it to be increased and put through on your tax bill.

15RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Anonymous

The pressure should be toward Doer. The WSD couldn't give a fcuk about "in-put". They are way beyond accountability.

16RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah WSD1 says... you know what... we are not going to take the provincial money.. we are just going to raise taxes...

yup.. thats reasonable...These guys should be on a two year cycle not 4 for elections.

17RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Anonymous

They won't take 2 if they can get 5. Bastards and Bitches...they're all Commies!!

18RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Can someone get JTF a pill or something to help him calm down? And whats with calling everyone Commies all of a sudden? Not that I disagree, but just wondering what brought this one.

19RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:50 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Using surplus pain killers this morning???

20RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:52 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Freeman wrote:And whats with calling everyone Commies all of a sudden?
Must have something to do with Sean Penn's win last night!

21RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Anonymous

I suddenly discovered the impact of the word.

The damn commies don't like that word eh?

22RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Anonymous

Nor the Japanese

23RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Anonymous

Wonder when the school boards are going to be removed from the tax bill. Did not Doer say he was going to do that . once upon a time

24RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Wonder when the school boards are going to be removed from the tax bill. Did not Doer say he was going to do that . once upon a time

That's why the NDP want the school boards to use all their surpluses'. This way the boards can be beholden to the provincial government and our educational system becomes more politicized. No thanks.

The amalgamations of school boards by the NDP was poorly done. There are school boards that exist that shouldn't and there are some that were amalgamated that never should have been.

Want to look at School Boards - look at the costs of senior administration. A lot of school boards have multiple assistant superintendants and appear to be heavy on the senior administraton side.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

25RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am

Anonymous

St Norberter wrote:
That's why the NDP want the school boards to use all their surpluses'. This way the boards can be beholden to the provincial government and our educational system becomes more politicized. No thanks.
That's backwards my friend.

Currently, the SB can raise taxes all they want and have the city collect it for them.

...and just how accountable are the Trustees? Can you name yours?

Besides, Education is a provincial responsibility and should not be off-loaded onto city property owners.

Want to look at School Boards - look at the costs of senior administration. A lot of school boards have multiple assistant superintendants and appear to be heavy on the senior administraton side.

....another big fat hole in the ground into which we throw money....and hell, if you complain, you're dismissed as being "against education".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum