the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

RAISE TAXES! says WSD1

+3
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am

St Norberter wrote:
That's why the NDP want the school boards to use all their surpluses'. This way the boards can be beholden to the provincial government and our educational system becomes more politicized. No thanks.
That's backwards my friend.

Currently, the SB can raise taxes all they want and have the city collect it for them.

...and just how accountable are the Trustees? Can you name yours?

Besides, Education is a provincial responsibility and should not be off-loaded onto city property owners.

Want to look at School Boards - look at the costs of senior administration. A lot of school boards have multiple assistant superintendants and appear to be heavy on the senior administraton side.

....another big fat hole in the ground into which we throw money....and hell, if you complain, you're dismissed as being "against education".

27RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:44 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

So with all the belly aching still going on here did anyone go to the board meeting last night and voice your concerns????????????

28RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I was unable as I had other commitments unfortunately.

29RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:49 am

Anonymous

The commie bitches cannot find a way to cut $1.2 M from a $323 M budget!!!

Connect some dots there.

The meeting was nothing more than a scam to say they got in-put from the publec.

btw where was the meeting held?

30RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

At thier wall street offices as always.

31RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:57 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I will be withholding my taxes. I already paid for Holy Golightly's, JTFs, Freeman's and Deank's kids.

32RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont think you make enough to pay for all my kids and Freemans combined

33RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do so.

34RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hell I dont make enough to pay for all of my kids... not that I am actually sure how many kids I have,

35RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
St Norberter wrote:
That's why the NDP want the school boards to use all their surpluses'. This way the boards can be beholden to the provincial government and our educational system becomes more politicized. No thanks.
That's backwards my friend.

Currently, the SB can raise taxes all they want and have the city collect it for them.

...and just how accountable are the Trustees? Can you name yours?

Besides, Education is a provincial responsibility and should not be off-loaded onto city property owners.

Don't see the correlation. Yes school boards now have taxation abilities, but I'd rather have boards setting educational policy than the prov. gov't getting their grubby (and overtly political )hands into it. They aren't letting divisions close schools ( chapman has only 80 students), they aren't letting divisions amalgamate schools (Provencher school is 50/50 - problem is once the student graduates from that school they can't go to french immersion because they aren't at the proper level. and if they have to go back to english only, what was the point of taking 50% french), and they aren't building schools in needed areas ( Richmond west only has one school, most students need to go to waverley heights, and Linden Woods and Whyte Ridge are in dire need of a high school)

Give the responsibility solely to the province? no thanks.

Yup, I can name my trustees. In fact I have 3 of them, and one is the board chair ( 2 live within 4km of my house). However, I'm in a small division and we only have nine trustees. In fact, compared to other divisions, it seems like ours has been able to keep the bloated top administration levels down.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

36RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I don't even begin to understand the need for all these different school boards and trustees. Why exactly can't all school's in Manitoba be governed by one single school board, with one set of trustees? I don't get why curriculum can't be standardized province wide. You'd get rid of 95% of the bureaucracy and could put those savings to good use, either raising the level of service or reducing school taxes.

Maybe I'm being naive. Could someone explain to me what function multiple school boards serve? Seems to be to be incredibly redundant.

37RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I will be withholding my taxes. I already paid for Holy Golightly's, JTFs, Freeman's and Deank's kids.

Thank you.

38RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:I don't even begin to understand the need for all these different school boards and trustees. Why exactly can't all school's in Manitoba be governed by one single school board, with one set of trustees? I don't get why curriculum can't be standardized province wide. You'd get rid of 95% of the bureaucracy and could put those savings to good use, either raising the level of service or reducing school taxes.

Maybe I'm being naive. Could someone explain to me what function multiple school boards serve? Seems to be to be incredibly redundant.
There is no good reason for them. Period. Full Stop.

They are they way they are so that fat bureaucrats can suck on the public teat. Commie bastards. Wink

39RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Yes school boards now have taxation abilities, but I'd rather have boards setting educational policy than the prov. gov't getting their grubby (and overtly political "

school trustees in my area ran on a party platform.

40RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Anonymous

Commies?

41RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:04 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:I don't even begin to understand the need for all these different school boards and trustees. Why exactly can't all school's in Manitoba be governed by one single school board, with one set of trustees? I don't get why curriculum can't be standardized province wide. You'd get rid of 95% of the bureaucracy and could put those savings to good use, either raising the level of service or reducing school taxes.

That's what they tried to do when they amalgamated school boards a few years back. Don't think senior administration got smaller - actually increased. Same thing happened with RHAs

In theory it is a good idea, just need to put rules and procedures to outline and realize the savings.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

42RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Anonymous

The NDP doesn't amalgamate anything. They build and build as they have a lot of friends that they have to reward.

43RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Anonymous

Christine Barr appears to have made up her mind as she has announced the increase is for good reason (OB news).

surprise surprise!! bloody commie!

44RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It is truly scary that the system allows these half wits to be elected by a small percentage of the electorate, and they then go on to forget about the folks that elected them. These are school trustees and they have elevated themselves to the sole protectors of our childrens futures. WAKE UP EVERYONE, THESE TWITS HAVE THE AUTHOURITY TO RAISE YOUR TAXES. And they do it all by hiding behind our children.

45RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Anonymous

Yes this whole thing has gone on for two long I say we start a boycot of payment put it in trust fund and challenge the minister to show us why they should get this . And if we lose burn him at the stake . lol!

46RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 - Page 2 Empty Re: RAISE TAXES! says WSD1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 am

Anonymous

I'm in. Still.

Who else?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum