the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

first nations may be sued by their own lawyers.

+3
JT Estoban
Freeman
Deank
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/first-nations-face-lawsuit-over-legal-bills-82772007.html

I wonder how this will play out?

this comment is just nothing but awesome

"Hudson said the bands spent about $600,000 on a case they were told they'd win and expected compensation from the pipeline companies to defray the costs of litigation."

doesn't everyone expect to win a lawsuit when they start it?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Hold on a second. The article says that Enbridge gave them $1,000,000 to ensure that they were properly represented, but they didn't pay the guys that were supposed to represent them.

Isn't this the case where Terry Nelson got a cut?

THis is just tooo funny, lawyers getting stiffed for their fees because they lost the case. Interesting precedent.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

So you don't have to pay the lawyer if you lose now?

Neat! first nations may be sued by their own lawyers. Icon_smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

this is indeed the case where the residents are demanding an investigation

Anonymous

Lawyers will often work on a contingency basis...they share the money on winning. Perhaps this is the case here, but I doubt any lawyer would be that stupid.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why would anyone pay a $383,000 bill? The law firm gave $383,000 in credit to this band! That is a pretty stupid business practise, wouldn't you agree?
Who would pay for stupid representation?

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

Deank wrote:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/first-nations-face-lawsuit-over-legal-bills-82772007.html

I wonder how this will play out?

this comment is just nothing but awesome

"Hudson said the bands spent about $600,000 on a case they were told they'd win and expected compensation from the pipeline companies to defray the costs of litigation."

doesn't everyone expect to win a lawsuit when they start it?

Actually, I know of no lawyer that would tell a client that they will win. It's stupid to do so and lawyers are taught that in first year. There's never a guarantee.

Perhaps "voices" told him he would win. Smile

Last edited by JTF on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Now, if the lawyer sues for the unpaid bill, which lawyer will represent these bands? How will he get paid?

Anonymous

Cash up front I reckon.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:Cash up front I reckon.

Good thing that they have some money left over from the $1,000,000 that was given to them by Enbridge.

Anonymous

During the case, Enbridge donated $1 million to help ensure the bands were properly represented. Cancelled cheques and bank records show most of that money was spent within three months.

More than $200,000 was given back to the bands and to Roseau River's gas bar and VLT lounge. Another $118,000 was spent on honorariums and travel expenses for chiefs, councillors and a handful of band members, some of whom travelled to Washington, D.C., a year ago to lobby the new Obama administration for more control over oil and mineral rights.

I'm afraid those pigs were at the trough very quickly. Nothing left by now.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"a year ago to lobby the new Obama administration for more control over oil and mineral rights."

huh? I swear I dont remember that being the reason they went there.

Anonymous

Why the Fcuk would a Canadian Indian ask a U.S. President for more control over anything of theirs.

Dumb fcuks are lobbying the wrong government. Smile

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

That's not how international law plays out, JTF...

Anonymous

Also who is buying most of the oil from that dumb white ass pipe line .

Anonymous

death128 wrote:That's not how international law plays out, JTF...

I don't see a direct relationship between the two...international law and their rights, especially why Obama is involved.

Looks like an excuse for a trip to me.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Got ot agree with JTF. If its an international law thing (which is bullshit anyway), whats it got to do with Obama.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Pavolo wrote:Also who is buying most of the oil from that dumb white ass pipe line .

Not sure of the colour of the ass of who is buying the bulk of the oil, but my guess would be the US, since thats where the pipeline is heading.

I would fully expect Obama to intervene in the sovereign affairs of the country they share a border with over the allegations human rights to the extent that they would jeopardize the inflow of oil to the US.
first nations may be sued by their own lawyers. 970993

Anonymous

There is an international accord on Native Rights the Americans signed we did not , hence they were trying to show him that Canada was not as good as it should be when it came to Natives . Will find you the link later.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Pavolo wrote:There is an international accord on Native Rights the Americans signed we did not , hence they were trying to show him that Canada was not as good as it should be when it came to Natives . Will find you the link later.

which has what exactly to do with lobbying the new Obama administration for more control over oil and mineral rights?

Obama is not the president of Canada he is not in any position to GRANT any control over anything. AND this has nothing at all to do with a pipeline carrying oil and gas from another province.

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Do you know where Roseau River is and where the traditional lands of their tribe are located?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

death128 wrote:Do you know where Roseau River is and where the traditional lands of their tribe are located?

Do you have a map with the location and the outline of what their traditional lands were? I'd love to see it.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup...question is.. do they?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Here is a picture of my traditional lands and current home.

first nations may be sued by their own lawyers. Istockphoto_6175136-earth-model-usa-view

I wonder if I can get Italy to give me compensation for the plight they inflicted on my people from about 508BC to 378AD when we finally pushed them out.
I figure they owe me about 190,000,000,000,000.03 after interest and adjustments for inflation.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

Deank wrote:
Pavolo wrote:There is an international accord on Native Rights the Americans signed we did not , hence they were trying to show him that Canada was not as good as it should be when it came to Natives . Will find you the link later.

which has what exactly to do with lobbying the new Obama administration for more control over oil and mineral rights?

Obama is not the president of Canada he is not in any position to GRANT any control over anything. AND this has nothing at all to do with a pipeline carrying oil and gas from another province.

Yes it doe,s if you understand that they want Obama to pressure Harper to sign the deal too , and give them the same rights as some US bands get to the wealth of the land they life on

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum