the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yea CentrePort - 1/2 of Mb is down on a Free Trip To mexico

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

http://stage.www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/marketing-fact-finding-jaunt-for-centreport-81120342.html?viewAllComments=y
Marketing, fact-finding jaunt for CentrePort
A 30-personThe large group will include CentrePort staff, board members, officials from three levels of government and representatives from business and labour.
"The fact is we are sitting on a significant acreage of industrial land adjacent to a large urban centre, which is unique to North America," Gray said.
"The more and better informed we are about how the port might function, the better equipped we will be to support those opportunities."

HOW MIGHT IT FUNCTION??

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The fact is we are sitting on a significant acreage of industrial land adjacent to a large urban centre, which is unique to North America," "

BULLSHIT!!!

Every single city in north America not on the coast and several of those on a coast is adjacent to large tracts of land which at the drop of a hat can turn into industrial zoned

Anonymous

I'm down with Centreport. The best thing to happen to Winnipeg since Bobby Hull.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Centreport is nothing but an unproven concept. Until such time as the business start showing up in Droves it will remain nothing.

I certainly hope that Centreport does work out tho.

Anonymous

Deank wrote:Centreport is nothing but an unproven concept. Until such time as the business start showing up in Droves it will remain nothing.

I certainly hope that Centreport does work out tho.

It will work. As long as the NIMBY's are exterminated. Cool

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:"The fact is we are sitting on a significant acreage of industrial land adjacent to a large urban centre, which is unique to North America," "

BULLSHIT!!!

Every single city in north America not on the coast and several of those on a coast is adjacent to large tracts of land which at the drop of a hat can turn into industrial zoned

Maybe not so much. Perhaps the uniqueness of a major airport coupled with the proximity of major rail hubs and sea port, the geographic location of Winnipeg within NA that can leverage less costly shipping costs from Asia and distribution anywhere in NA.

I'd say that Winnipeg has a rather unique advantage that could easily put Winnipeg in an envious position.

Perhaps you could name another city that has the same or similar advantages?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If we are shipping trainloads of Marijuana grown in the North!
There was something tried years ago that there was a big hullaboo, that made no sense as does this bullshit storey.
Who is going to send goods across to Winnipeg that has to be delivered to Chicago??

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:
Who is going to send goods across to Winnipeg that has to be delivered to Chicago??

When tons of companies relocate to Winnipeg, the goods will be produced here, and sent to Chicago.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:
Deank wrote:"The fact is we are sitting on a significant acreage of industrial land adjacent to a large urban centre, which is unique to North America," "

BULLSHIT!!!

Maybe not so much. Perhaps the uniqueness of a major airport coupled with the proximity of major rail hubs and sea port, the geographic location of Winnipeg within NA that can leverage less costly shipping costs from Asia and distribution anywhere in NA.

I'd say that Winnipeg has a rather unique advantage that could easily put Winnipeg in an envious position.

Perhaps you could name another city that has the same or similar advantages?

We already have those advantages, Centreport will change nothing of that.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"the goods will be produced here,"

at our high North American rate of pay? Unlikely.

Anonymous

Deank wrote:"the goods will be produced here,"

at our high North American rate of pay? Unlikely.

Very likely.

Goods produced in Canada are top of the line. Goods produced in Mexico, not so. Take China as an example. Many problems have arose in the last 5 years regarding defective merchandise coming out of the country. Canadians are hard working people who have always produced top quality products. If it were not the case, Mexico and others would have already become 1st world countries.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If this idea is dpendant on manufacturered goods, then I think someone is smoking our dope! years ago we had 10,000 sewing jobs right here in Winnipeg! That was the 1960s. and I was there! All of those jobs are gone to Asia, and all of those sewers converted their low paying jobs into good paying jobs in the nursing field.
My Father had 80 people working for him producing braided rugs. We were allways 15% too high to get Eaton's, Simpson-Sears, ordes. We got Woodward's one year. Asia allways were cheaper. Cheaper allways won, except when there was a strike in Vancouver, then we got orders from Eaton's to fill in.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:We already have those advantages, Centreport will change nothing of that.

Why not? Is it not a program designed to attract business by coupling our location and transportation? Will there not be a tax-free zone component? Will there not be a focus on the types of businesses that could best leverage those advantages?

Why not say why it won't work instead of BULLSHIT!!!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think Centreport will attract manufacturers. It will attract value add companies. Maybe final assembly.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:I don't think Centreport will attract manufacturers. It will attract value add companies. Maybe final assembly.

maybe, I hope so... but it definately wont be manufacturers.

Anonymous

Just to refresh my memory.....this centre port thingy is supposed to be something like this in the concept:

A company in say, Hong Kong, will be shipping their goods to Winnipeg and we, in Winnipeg, will be redirecting it to their customer in say, Vancouver?

Is that that deal?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no.

they will be shipping its parts to winnipeg from places all over the globe. We will final assmemble in winnipeg and ship out.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.centreportcanada.ca/abouthtml.html

CentrePort Canada is North America’s new 20,000-acre inland port that has been designated Canada’s first Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ). Located in Manitoba next to Winnipeg’s James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, CentrePort Canada offers greenfield investment opportunities for a wide variety of business operations including distribution, warehousing and manufacturing.
CentrePort Canada is strategically located in the central time zone in the heart of North America. It boasts a modern, well-established network of highways, railways, air and sea connections to important regional and international markets, including eastern and western Canada, the United States, Mexico and Latin America, as well as Europe and Asia.
As an FTZ, CentrePort Canada has significant tax and cost savings to offer foreign investors and businesses looking for new ways to bring their products to the North American marketplace. FTZ benefits include deferral of customs duties and a GST exemption on products imported to Canada for warehousing or processing before re-export out of country.

Anonymous

Seems to me, all this appears to be smoke and mirrors....distribution, warehousing and manufacturing...
FTZ's are available throughout the country, and are a federal-based program anyway.

The geography angle is so thin that you can see your mother-in-law through it imo.

Anonymous

btw for anyone interested in Foreign Trade Zones...

http://investincanada.gc.ca/download/1027.pdf

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah like I said. I certainly hope that something great will come of this, but I am not holding my breath. Its a great place for Canadian manufacturers to set up shop though. AND if the port of churchill was ever used properly Winnipeg would be a great secondary place for most of Europe as well.

Anonymous

I think we have to be very selective in which sectors of the manufacturing industry in which we can compete. High wages and benefits in Canada prevent us from being competitive with other countries in the international markets.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There are companies that today ship unfinished goods into North America today. Those goods are assembled in North America and distributed within North America. Often there is value added. It is thought that business will grow.

It is that type of business that could find Centreport attractive if a) they can ship the goods into North America more quickly through Winnipeg (via Churchill maybe or air from Europe and Air over the north) and even via ship then rail from the west coast; and 2) if the tax incentives lower their costs. and iii) if it is less expensive and quicker to redistribute through NA from Winnipeg.

This is the business Centreport would target.

Anonymous

Until such time as the port of Churchill is open all year we'll have to rely on foreign goods that are being shipped soley by air. That a very limited market imo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum