the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Do You Think About The War On Drugs In Mexico?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

MEXICO CITY – A shootout between Mexican troops and a convoy of gunmen left 15 assailants and one soldier dead hours before U.S. President Barack Obama arrived in the country to show his support for the fight against drug cartels.
The shootout happened in a remote, mountainous region in Guerrero state, where the Pacific coast resort of Acapulco is located, Mexico's Defence Department said in a statement today.
Soldiers came under fire from a convoy of gunmen on Wednesday while patrolling the drug trafficking hotbed. One was killed and another wounded in the firefight near the town of San Nicolas del Oro. Troops later seized two .50 calibre Barrett rifles, 17 other rifles, eight grenades, two handguns, ammunition and eight vehicles.
Obama met Thursday in the capital with President Felipe Calderon, who has sent more than 45,000 troops to drug hotspots since taking office in 2006. More than 10,670 people have died in drug violence since then, about 10 per cent of them police and troops killed in the line of duty. The rest have been smugglers, many killed by rival gang members, the government said.
Other deaths due to drug violence on the eve of Obama's visit included three young men whose bodies were stuffed into the trunk of a car abandoned along a highway between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo, another Pacific resort where traffickers have recently been attacking police with grenades and high-powered weapons. The men had been beaten, tortured and strangled to death, state police said.
Elsewhere, a group of masked gunmen killed two men in military uniforms early Thursday in a remote jungle area near the Guatemalan border. Police in the nearby town of La Trinitaria said the victims were soldiers, but the defence department did not immediately confirm that. Traffickers sometimes wear military uniforms to avert security.
Drug violence tops the agenda for Calderon and Obama, who has vowed to send hundreds of agents to the U.S. border to stem the flow of guns and money to cartels. Both governments say most illegal guns seized in Mexico come from the United States.
Meanwhile, Mexico said it will open a spy school, create a secured, internal database and improve intelligence-gathering systems to strengthen national security. The school will be run by the government's spy agency, the Center for National Security and Investigation, known in Spanish as Cisen, the Interior Department said Thursday.
Created in 1989, Cisen allegedly once spied on political opponents of the Institutional Revolutionary Party, which ruled Mexico for 71 years until 2000.
Calderon's office says the government needs better intelligence to go after Mexico's cartels.

http://www.elansofas.com

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have been traveling that road, the |Mexico 200 coast highway, for many years. Estado Guerrero (Guerrero State) has always been a hotbed of activity. Let us just say that if you wanted to do some off-roading you are best not to do so....lots of gardens up in the hills. Opium production is rocking in Oaxaca, pot in |Michoacan, and the bulk of the cartel organizers base themselves in Sinaloa State....

This situation altho it had existed for many decades became strengthened under the presidency of Carlos Salinas Gortari......that was when the Cocaine power base shifted from Columbia to Mexico after much of the Columbian cartels were wiped out. As well during Gortari's reign the Peso was revaluated to a 3 to 1 on the american dollar....within two years of that valuation the peso plummeted and it was during this time that the Mexican cartels were able to fully infiltrate most levels of law enforcement right on up to the judiciary level. Assassinations became the word of the day, starting in Tijuana with the assassination of a high level politician who was running with the promise to dismantle the cartels before it was too late.

By that time it already was too late.

Does reading any of this scare me? No. I live near the Mexican border, i drive through Mexico and have been doing so for 17 years all over the country....I have never had any issues. That being said i speak Spanish and I consider parts of that great country to be home and am thus aware of spots that one should just stay the hell away from. I keep up with the political news....

What I dislike about much of the reporting regarding this conflict is that it will in the long run do more harm than good. It is bad enough that the present economic situation has affected tourism, now this stuff? The vast majority of tourists are safe when they are in Mexico.....

My opinion on all this? Legalize the damn drugs. Honor the agreements as hammered out in NAFTA....make those borders workable in terms of trade and movement of folks.....hell, even some republicans agree with me on those points.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so... mexico is north Americas NorthEnd... if I read that properly.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No, Mexico is not North America's north end....I watched the film TRAFFIC last night, again, and there were some great points made in that film....supply and demand. Seems pretty simple to me. You have a country where the demand is great for certain products and you have another country that sees this and takes advantage of it no matter the methodologies employed.

Legalize the substances and you cut out the criminal activity. So much money is wasted in the name of the War on Drugs....why not wage a war instead against the causes that drive folks to want to smoke crack, snort coke or shoot up heroin....we saw this with booze back in the twenties and thirties and now we see it with drugs....

I apologize if my words seem simplistic.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Miz point wrote:So much money is wasted in the name of the War on Drugs....why not wage a war instead against the causes that drive folks to want to smoke crack, snort coke or shoot up heroin....we saw this with booze back in the twenties and thirties and now we see it with drugs....

What are these causes that you speak of? Life is tough and people want to party.

Are you including getting drunk in this list of naughtiness?

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oh dude, I party....I indulge.....I just don't allow my indulgences to get the best of me....I plan on getting somewhat drunk tonite at the Kingshead....JFK and the Conspirators are playing....I see alcohol abuse in my near future.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Legalize the substances and you cut out the criminal activity. "

that is so not true.... not true at all....reduce it? Perhaps.. cut it out? Never.. not until you make all drugs and alcohol free

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Free drugs and likker? I'll buy that for a dollar!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah and even then it would not eliminate all the crime associated with it..

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

obviously not.....not when one talks about the fallout crimes like abuse, neglect, car accidents causing death - all the good stuff.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah... and we would have to make prostitution in all its forms free as well.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hmm.. maybe just do that and no one would need drugs or alcohol Smile

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dean, I believe the more cynical folk out there would refer to your suggestion as "marriage"....but unfortunately we already know that that particular institution is not without its flaws either.....

line from Dali...."I don't do drugs - I AM DRUGS"

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Dean, I believe the more cynical folk out there would refer to your suggestion as "marriage"...."

LOL but as we all know from the other thread its abhorent for a wife or husband to demand sex from their partner... hence... free hookers.. ( of both sexes and catering to all sexual orientations )

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Free sex, free dope and booze.....I do believe all that the fascination would wear off in good time....ha! That would be an interesting social experiment.

Now if we could only rid the world of crime....we need STUPORDuck!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum