the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico

+3
AdamX
Deank
grumpy old man
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:54 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

TORONTO - The family of a Toronto woman on life-support in a Mexican hospital said Monday that they believe she's being blocked from returning to Canada because of false fears over swine flu.

Victoria George, 29, has been in a Cancun hospital since Wednesday after suffering a severe asthma attack that sent her into cardiac arrest. She was on vacation with her husband and their five-year-old son.

Her prognosis is grim and loved-ones want her flown back to Ontario to say their goodbyes, efforts that relatives claim have been repeatedly denied because of the swine flu outbreak that's suspected of killing more than 140 people and sickening more than 1,000 others in Mexico.

Read story here.

Is Canada under ANY obligation to fly sick and/or dying Canadians home? From a pure compassionate POV I'd like to see it but monetarily it would cost a small fortune. We have private health plans that cover this when traveling don't we?

2Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

our provincial health care actually covers it for the most part.

In fact I have seen some cases where the provincial health care unit quite quickly flew people back from very very expensive USA.

It being Mexico, I kinda doubt that it is that expensive. Also of note, they only fly people back (expense or none) when it is 100% reasonable for the person to fly.
Seems to me that being on life support kinda precludes you from flying that much.

3Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

agreed, especially with the very real and legitimate concerns about this new flu that is killing people.

http://www.cakefarter.com

4Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Anonymous

Their are air ambulances that could get her home , something maybe we are not aware of all the facts .

5Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

EXPENSIVE air ambulances.

6Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 am

Anonymous

They are a lot less expensive (+/- $75K) than keeping somebody in an ICU in the hospital. They have done this many times before I believe...in this case there appears to be something else going on.

7Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:34 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Any idea what ICU care in Mexico city costs and what the same care in a Winnipeg ICU? If less in Mexico should we leave her there? Maybe the doctors believe her condition is too fragile to move just now.

What else do you suspect is going on? Fear of the swine flu thing? Racism? Surely there is a check list that the health care peeps follow to ensure citizens qualify for such air transport.

My question though is should taxpayers pay for anyone to be flown home if they are receiving quality health care at a comparable cost?

8Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 am

Anonymous

GOM...you don't understand. Health Care is FREE in Canada.

sarcasm

9Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Of course it is. My bad.

10Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If she is not expected to live, than it makes sense to ship her deceased body back to canada with Mexican trucking firm at a cost of $495, rather than wasting $100,000 ON AN AIR AMBULANCE! wHY WOULD YOU SEND SOMEONE WHO CANNOT BE SAVED IN AN AMBULANCE?

http://www.elansofas.com

11Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

12Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

one has to wonder if she would have died for certain if they had not forced her to move.

13Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who knows. As unfortunate as this is it is also a shame that the country is made to look evil. How many other countries immediately dispatch an air ambulance to return its citizens from other countries.

This is not much different than that convicted con artist that bitched because Canada would not transfer her from a Mexican jail to a Canadian jail.

Man are we spoiled.

14Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Who knows. As unfortunate as this is it is also a shame that the country is made to look evil. How many other countries immediately dispatch an air ambulance to return its citizens from other countries.

This is not much different than that convicted con artist that bitched because Canada would not transfer her from a Mexican jail to a Canadian jail.

Man are we spoiled.

YEP

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

15Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"How many other countries immediately dispatch an air ambulance to return its citizens from other countries."

umm Zero seems like the real answer.

16Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

very sad.

17Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am

Anonymous

The reason we do it, and regularly I understand, is because it's cheaper to do so that to keep people in an American hospital.

Remember, an aspirin costs $750.00 in one of their ICU units.

18Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah, I expect that is true. In this case she was in a Mexican hospital. Same rationale?

19Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52 am

Anonymous

I imagine they love gringo insurance money in Mexico too. Perhaps, not as much, but.....Smile

20Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

While it is sad that this young mother passed at such an early age and the circumstances make it even more tragic, but I fail to understand how anyone can have any thought that government should be involved financially in her repatriation, either in life or death. We seem to value our frredom of choice to take a vacation in Mexico or wherever else in the world we can afford, but suddenly someone else should pay to bring us home if we fall ill or die. Certainly consular officials should assist in handling the bureacracy and provide information and options, but the costs are our own, not to be borne by the taxpayers.

If my car breaks down in Minneapolis, should I expect Harper to come down and bring me home? Its about the same analogy.

We're all turning into Commie Bastards.

21Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman if your car broke down and you contacted Harper and told him you voted for him and pledge your eternal allegiance, his comment should be contact the local service station.
This whole storey was a non-story. The dead lady had insurance coverage, and if you believe the reports there was zero chance of her surviving whatever she had.
If her insurance covered an air ambulance than she would have been given that!
If the problem, as reported in today's Globe, that there were no ICU spots in Toronto, than she should have been flown back and she should have been put in a hallway until a spot opened up!

22Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:37 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

RC, are you really the Amazing Kreskin? How else would you know what Harper told me when I called him from Minneapolis last year? Going to think twice before I vote for him again.

23Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

RC is actually harper in a very elaborate disguise

24Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Great disguise!

25Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Empty Re: Dying Canadian stranded in Mexico Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:14 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I cann't tell if you are making fun of me, or joking with me!
Maybe you can post something to tell me the difference? :mad 040:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum