the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince

+4
Goth_chic
Triniman
Deank
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor

Umm, whatever happened to the Christmas spirit that touched the hearts of many of us just last month, not even 30 days ago?

52Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We've been looking into adopting a child from Haiti. I would like nothing more then to give one of these kids love and a wonderful home where they could become anything they wanted to be!

53Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:Umm, whatever happened to the Christmas spirit that touched the hearts of many of us just last month, not even 30 days ago?

Lol, comes and goes every year. People feel good for a few weeks of consumerism with a hint of charitable giving...and then poof it's gone.

54Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:No Grumpyrom.. my logic is not that at all.

My logic is self righteous people who for some reason can not understand why some of us dont want to donate to this event..those people never took the time to donate every single cent of their money before to the people of this country when it was in almost as bad shape before. Get off your damn high horse you donating money does not make you a saint.
I personally take offense to the fact that you somehow think I am BILLIONS of other people are lesser people because we dont donate to this cause.

Never claimed to be a saint, nor do I claim that one must give every spare cent....hell I need to live to. I do contribute to various charitable organizations regularly through the year (both local and international), and I do ALWAYS try to help in extraordinary circumstances such as these. I personally feel I have a moral obligation to try and do so when possible.

I do think that those with the means who choose to do ignore the situation and can't even be bothered to dig up a fiver ARE lesser human beings. Your wording, not mine....but it's just my opinion and like ass holes everyone has one.

55Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:10 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:We've been looking into adopting a child from Haiti. I would like nothing more then to give one of these kids love and a wonderful home where they could become anything they wanted to be!

Good on you GC Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 62795

56Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpyrom wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:We've been looking into adopting a child from Haiti. I would like nothing more then to give one of these kids love and a wonderful home where they could become anything they wanted to be!

Good on you GC Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 62795

Yeah, ditto!

57Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:00 am

Anonymous

Deank wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:
Deank wrote:
Triniman wrote:Interesting. 65% of people who responded to CJOB's poll yesterday said they won't donate anything for Haiti. It's higher than I expected.

Also, remember how cranky and ungrateful some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina became? We're seeing that same behavior in Haiti.

Yeah I was just reading about how some of the people are getting pissed that the help is not fast enough. Granted they dont exactly have a way of knowing that the help is coming, but its still frustrating to see people pissed off when the world is literally bending over backwards to help.

I am not surprised at all by the 65%. I would have thought the numbers would be higher.

I'm suprised the numbers aren't higher as well. Most people are selfish ass holes when it really comes down to it. I was fortunate enough to survive a magnitude 7.2 quake as a small child as did my family by the sheer luck of living in a country with better building standards.

I applaud those who have already committee to helping and will be doing the same as well. To those who are to self absorbed or think our government response is enough ask your self how long you could survive without water if Winnipeg were flattened tomorrow? Not to mention food, shelter, medical services, police to protect you from the looters etc. Those people are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

these people's everyday existance is in much worse shape then you can imagine even before the quake were you giving all the money you could to them even then?

I cant help everyone, its that simple.

Dean Suggest you look at how much the Americans never mind the Canadians have given this country over the years . Yes I will do my bit to help but comeon where have the billons gone to .

58Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I know how much WE as a country have been giving them Pav.

59Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Anonymous

Where did the money go?

I remember several years ago when the U.S. was (again) talking of a $50 billion bail-out for Mexico and a discussion took place that showed, since the last $20 billion bail-out they got from the States, the only discernable change that took place was the creation a several more billionaires. I kid you not.

60Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:41 am

Anonymous

More and more people are finally seeing foreign aid for what it has turned into, it is better to give true aid to those that need it the people not the government's . There was a article in today's freep about that micro aid I believe it was called

61Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

When dealing with such huge amounts of money there is always going to be temptation. Let's minimize it by donating to official aid organizations only and have them audited frequently.

62Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Anonymous

Even that doesn't work now days.

63Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what the hell.... the freep is now calling all the looting taking place.. "scavenging"

64Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"White guys, get the hell out!" some survivors shouted in the city's Bel-Air slum, apparently frustrated at the sight of foreigners who were not delivering help."

maybe all the white countries should just leave then?

65Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:41 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yes yes we all want to know why the US military is turning away aid planes... but quotes like this really make me shake my head in wonder

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Scattered-violence-hinders-some-Haiti-aid-delivery-as-casualty-estimate-doubles-to-200000.html

"
Doctors Without Borders said a plane carrying 12 tons of medical equipment, including drugs, surgical supplies and two dialysis machines, had been turned away three times from the Port-au-Prince airport since Sunday night, resulting in the deaths of five patients.
"We were forced to buy a saw in the market to continue amputations," co-ordinator Loris de Filippi said Tuesday in a statement."

EXFUCKINCUSEME??? forced to BUY a saw in the market? Holy mother of god. the people of the entire world are donating BILLIONS of dollars of AID and 10s of thousands of people to help out and millions of dollars in immediate supplies and some a$$hole forces the doctors to BUY a saw to help his fellow countrymen?

66Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The news the other night covered the issue of the airport and planes, etc. The airport is a single runway with a small tarmac. Whatever they had was destroyed so the US military has taken over running the airport. The biggest problem they have with it is that there is so little room and so many flights just showing up that they can't let them land. Cargo planes are on the tarmac being unloaded, but they have to unload them and send them off before more can land. Keep in mind that many of these arriving flights are "unscheduled" in terms of when they arrive in Haiti. Military flights are landing at night as they are better equipped to do so.

Keep in mind that this is a "crisis" that no one was prepared for. my God, 200,000 dead, how could anyone prepare for a disaster of that magnitude.

67Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

To add to the already bad situation, apparently they had a magnitude 6.0 aftershock this morning that has only added to the chaos in the streets. Seems like they just can't get a break from nature.

68Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 3 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

Anonymous

I also heard the reason a plane didn't land was because the landing strip was too soft for the weight of the loaded craft.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum