the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince

+4
Goth_chic
Triniman
Deank
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Triniman wrote:Also, remember how cranky and ungrateful some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina became? We're seeing that same behavior in Haiti.

Probably the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, devasted by an earthquake, 50,000 estimated dead, infrastructure, or what there was, destroyed, can't take 2 steps without stepping on a rotting corpse, hmmmm, I'd be cranky too.

27Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Like many people - I pay the government 40% of my income. What remains is not even mine. A good portion goes to all sorts of taxes including pst, education, property, fuel and a dozen others. My government rushes jets, personnel and $5,000,000 over there withing 24hrs. That is my participation. Glad I could help.

28Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
Triniman wrote:Interesting. 65% of people who responded to CJOB's poll yesterday said they won't donate anything for Haiti. It's higher than I expected.

Also, remember how cranky and ungrateful some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina became? We're seeing that same behavior in Haiti.

Yeah I was just reading about how some of the people are getting pissed that the help is not fast enough. Granted they dont exactly have a way of knowing that the help is coming, but its still frustrating to see people pissed off when the world is literally bending over backwards to help.

I am not surprised at all by the 65%. I would have thought the numbers would be higher.

I'm suprised the numbers aren't higher as well. Most people are selfish ass holes when it really comes down to it. I was fortunate enough to survive a magnitude 7.2 quake as a small child as did my family by the sheer luck of living in a country with better building standards.

I applaud those who have already committee to helping and will be doing the same as well. To those who are to self absorbed or think our government response is enough ask your self how long you could survive without water if Winnipeg were flattened tomorrow? Not to mention food, shelter, medical services, police to protect you from the looters etc. Those people are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

29Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:14 am

Anonymous

Speaking of Katrina, and aid, 5 years later, the money was still not spent.

Imo, people have become suspicious of fundraisers. They come out of the woodwork and then dissappear afterwards.

Be very careful to whom you give money. Even the Red Cross scammed us in the past eh.

30Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:08 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

grumpyrom wrote:Most people are selfish ass holes when it really comes down to it.
Geeze grumpyrom, you must be a real joy to be around.

31Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpyrom wrote:
Deank wrote:
Triniman wrote:Interesting. 65% of people who responded to CJOB's poll yesterday said they won't donate anything for Haiti. It's higher than I expected.

Also, remember how cranky and ungrateful some of the victims of Hurricane Katrina became? We're seeing that same behavior in Haiti.

Yeah I was just reading about how some of the people are getting pissed that the help is not fast enough. Granted they dont exactly have a way of knowing that the help is coming, but its still frustrating to see people pissed off when the world is literally bending over backwards to help.

I am not surprised at all by the 65%. I would have thought the numbers would be higher.

I'm suprised the numbers aren't higher as well. Most people are selfish ass holes when it really comes down to it. I was fortunate enough to survive a magnitude 7.2 quake as a small child as did my family by the sheer luck of living in a country with better building standards.

I applaud those who have already committee to helping and will be doing the same as well. To those who are to self absorbed or think our government response is enough ask your self how long you could survive without water if Winnipeg were flattened tomorrow? Not to mention food, shelter, medical services, police to protect you from the looters etc. Those people are in much worse shape than any of us could imagine.

these people's everyday existance is in much worse shape then you can imagine even before the quake were you giving all the money you could to them even then?

I cant help everyone, its that simple.

32Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

To be perfectly truthful - I'm on a list of emergency responders and may leave with the next team on Thursday. The best way to help in this case is with your hands and your back. If anybody else has those two things and the time to go (10 day shifts) then PM me.

33Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:To be perfectly truthful - I'm on a list of emergency responders and may leave with the next team on Thursday. The best way to help in this case is with your hands and your back. If anybody else has those two things and the time to go (10 day shifts) then PM me.

That comment kind of smacks of a little arrogance. Most of us have jobs and while employers may be understanding, they may not appreciate fricking off for 10 days on a moments notice. While I'm in reasonably good health, not sure how effective I would be with hands on work in stifling conditions, maybe 20 years ago, but not right now. And most importantly, thats not what I choose to do, but if others do, then go for it.

Everyone should exercise caution in their charitable giving. First, check the CRA website to get details of the charity that you're giving to. All charities have overhead costs, but the donor has to feel comfortable that their gift is going to do what they expect.

34Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Uhh...arrogance? Actually Freeman, I don't think you'd pass the mental/attitude part of the application process so don't give it another thought. You're better off staying behind and cautioning others on their support. Good grief.

35Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo, if you only knew, little man, if you only knew.

36Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Uhh...arrogance? Actually Freeman, I don't think you'd pass the mental/attitude part of the application process so don't give it another thought. You're better off staying behind and cautioning others on their support. Good grief.

LMAO....Freeman is in the Military Jondo..

37Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Correction GC, was, another side effect of aging. Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Icon_smile

38Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Give me a break. I read your stupid remark to my committment. I don't need to know anything else. Little man? Arrogance? I can't believe that.

39Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Anonymous

Anyhoo....
With all due respect to all the dead people, personally, as a news junky-ette, I'm already starting to get tired of this story. Katrina drove me crazy after a while....the news went on and on and on about it.
Oh well....

40Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Give me a break. I read your stupid remark to my committment. I don't need to know anything else. Little man? Arrogance? I can't believe that.

Yes, you are an arrogant little man, but I'm glad you can read.

41Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:22 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Jondo wrote:To be perfectly truthful - I'm on a list of emergency responders and may leave with the next team on Thursday. The best way to help in this case is with your hands and your back. If anybody else has those two things and the time to go (10 day shifts) then PM me.
I didn't read even a hint of arrogance in this post.

Jondo is not taking anyone to task for not giving of their time. He merely suggests that if you can to contact him.

This actually sounded like a very generous contribution.

Sigh...

42Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Grumpy thanks for the injection of rational thought. I'm stumped at how somebody could read otherwise. This Freeman seems to prove the adage that wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age - some people just get old. You can now earn my respect. Start with an apology. I'd like to see that before I leave next week.

43Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so just how big of a johnson is too big? 16 inches?

44Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Grumpy thanks for the injection of rational thought. I'm stumped at how somebody could read otherwise. This Freeman seems to prove the adage that wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age - some people just get old. You can now earn my respect. Start with an apology. I'd like to see that before I leave next week.

Don't hold your right hand in your back pocket waiting, you may have to go left handed.The arrogance is really simple "the best way to help", and since when do you decide the best way, isn't that for whoever wants to help.

45Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:08 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah, but it's not arrogance Free... It's but one person's opinion.

46Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Well, I choose to do nothing, so that means thats the best way to help...because thats what I'm doing. Thats how I read it.

47Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:41 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:
Deank wrote:

these people's everyday existance is in much worse shape then you can imagine even before the quake were you giving all the money you could to them even then?

I cant help everyone, its that simple.

Pretty HUGE difference between the shape they were in before and what they are going through now. Sorry Deank but you need to give your head a shake if with that logic.

While I'll agree that it's impossible to help everyone all the time, and that people are in need every single day.....I will disagree in saying that it is the moral responsibility of all people around the world to help during a catastrophe on this scale if they are able to do so. I may not be able to afford to help all the time, but I'm sure as hell not going to turn my back and pretend like today is just another day for them, nothing I can do about it.

48Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Pretty HUGE difference between the shape they were in before and what they are going through now. Sorry Deank but you need to give your head a shake if with that logic."

you really dont have a clue what you are talking about..
2 to 3 million people were homeless and lived moment to moment waiting for their next hand out, begging, stealing, whatever. The only thing that has changed is that those that HAD houses .. many of them died and now live on the street with the people who were already scraping by.

49Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

I personally take offence to that comment having come from the poorest country in Eastern Europe and growing up during the worst economic period in it's history. I've experienced poverty first hand, and while admittedly it was not as bad as the situation in Haiti pre-quake I've had more experience with hunger than all but the poorest Canadians (of which there are also far too many). I've also travelled enough to see the situation next door in the DR, and my understanding is that they are much better off than the average Haitian which is scary. So yes, I do have a clue what they were facing before.

The fact that there is now no access at all to clean water, any sorts of utilities, any sort of economy, a steadily declining security situation, lack of medical facilities to treat survivors, an enitre city to somehow rebuild in an already empoverished nation...and oh yeah maybe 50,000 to 100,000 bodies to recover and dispose of before a major disease outbreak occurs doesn't make the situation any worse in your mind?

I still fail to see your logic. Becaause things were bad before but worse now, we shouldn't help if we weren't before.....I don't get it.

50Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

No Grumpyrom.. my logic is not that at all.

My logic is self righteous people who for some reason can not understand why some of us dont want to donate to this event..those people never took the time to donate every single cent of their money before to the people of this country when it was in almost as bad shape before. Get off your damn high horse you donating money does not make you a saint.
I personally take offense to the fact that you somehow think I am BILLIONS of other people are lesser people because we dont donate to this cause.

51Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince - Page 2 Empty Re: Haiti Earthquake levels Port-au-Prince Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Umm, whatever happened to the Christmas spirit that touched the hearts of many of us just last month, not even 30 days ago?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum