the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

what our city needs to do

+10
umcrouc0
grumpyrom
Ex-Pat-Pegger
Bartron
helgihg
Electrician
Triniman
holly golightly
grumpy old man
Deank
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 pm

umcrouc0

contributor plus
contributor plus

If you have a mortgage and kids, $100K family income isn't going to let you eat out too often.

27what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:49 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Much of it is Dean....like I said I'm not saying all well to do Winnipeger's are like this.
I'm only speaking from personal experience, one example is a co-worker of mine. He works a LOT of overtime, averages 90-100K/annually. Has ZERO debt, no mortgage, no credit cards, no car payments etc. ALWAYS has his RRSP maxed out half way through the year. Shops second hand for almost everything, owns a older used car he never drives, walks or cycles to work even in winter because it's cheaper than driving. Doesn't go to restaurants, or bars, probably hasn't been to a movie theater in the last year. One of my best friends parents are in a similar financial situation, have similar spending paterns. Have NEVER been on a vacation in 35 years even though they could clearly afford it, because they consider it frivolous. Never go out, eat all meals at home etc.Yet he tells me they're sitting on around $1,000,000, and both have healthy pensions. Neither are what one would consider "rich", but both put considerably less money back into the local economy than someone with the same income with more liberal spending patterns.

I know many other examples from personal experience and I'm not trying to say it in a negative tone. All I'm saying is that Winnipeger's as a whole tend to be more financially conservative than say people living in Vancouver, Toronto or New York etc. Much of this has to do with the working class roots of many Winnipeger's, so even if they may have the disposable income they still hold a negative view towards spending. I personally think tit's one of the things that holds the city back. Just my opinion.

It's one of the reasons you see a Red Apple as a major anchor in our downtown and not a Holt Renfrew, or Armani etc. as you would see on Robson St. Is it because there aren't enough Winnipeger's in a high enough income bracket to keep a Holt Renfrew in business? Or is it because they have other priorities for their money?

That's all I'm saying, Winnipeger's are different, not better or worse....just different.

28what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I know several people "around" the 100K level. None of them have any significant savings at all other then RRSPs. All the money is spent on living.

29what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Same here. If you had two people with individual incomes over $100K, they would probably have a lot to spend. But not a family income. At least not enough to buy your clothes from Armani.
I think there's still a Holt Renfrew in Portage Place somehow.

30what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ugg.. watching one show on TV last night where this chick spent 100K+ in one furniture store. She paid in cash....

31what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Man, whoever convinced that sucker to pay $100k for funiture is a genius.

32what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

chairs for the Table were $1000 each.

33what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:09 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Wonder how you get to be a furniture designer who can sell stuff for that price. Guess after you convince one person to pay a crazy amount of money for your products it just goes from there. Like art.

34what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

heh.... lets ask Rosen...

35what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:54 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Note that Winnipeg reportedly has more restaurants and golf courses per capita than other Canadian city.

Note also that Winnipeggers are reportedly the most generous in Canada for charitable donations.

Maybe Winnipeggers just spend their money in other ways?

But yeah, Winnipeg has a reputation for frugality.

36what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Naww, Winnipeggers are just cheap. People don't like to pay for service. We're satisfied with lack of and outright bad service in places like Wal Mart, Canadian Tire, Stupid Store and the multitude of dollar stores that litter the City.

But I think the issue at the political level, civic and especially provincial, is the lack of support for business and provincially, the anti business attitude. Government has the responsibility to create the environment for business to grow. Need to cut the taxes, red tape and anti business legislation so we can attract business = jobs = more tax revenue = prosperity = more business = more jobs, and so on.

37what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Oh yeah, and a complete overhaul of the community centre system and it consumes massive $$'s with dubious measurable results.

38what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Freeman wrote:But I think the issue at the political level, civic and especially provincial, is the lack of support for business and provincially, the anti business attitude.
You're forgetting the anti-business unions.

39what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I sense a theme.... what our city needs to do - Page 2 Icon_smile

40what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

There are some comments insinuating Winnipeggers are cheap.
I think these "cheap people" are following the lead of some businesses.
Some businesses think Canadian people are "too expensive" so the jobs have been pushed out of the country where they can be done cheaper.
And then they wonder why the country is in a recession.

If I was starting over today, I would go into something where the job can't be pushed off shore. Example: hairdressing, nursing, etc. Surprised

41what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pick a career where people want to see you - rather than need to see you. Your two examples are good ones. Now, start writing your own paycheques.

42what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Outsider wrote:There are some comments insinuating Winnipeggers are cheap.
Some businesses think Canadian people are "too expensive" so the jobs have been pushed out of the country where they can be done cheaper.

If I was starting over today, I would go into something where the job can't be pushed off shore. Example: hairdressing, nursing, etc. Surprised

This is not unique to Canada. Hell now some third world countries are sending jobs elsewhere due to rising labour costs... Ironic as hell eh?

Canada is not in a recession due to the practise of off-shoring jobs. Canada is in a recession because the whole world is right-sizing their economies after too many years of super-heated consumerism.

Canada is in a recession due to the unions.

Spoiler:

43what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:Pick a career where people want to see you - rather than need to see you. Your two examples are good ones. Now, start writing your own paycheques.

Now you're talking. But if you decide to work for yourself, then you become a business.

44what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

That's fine. The real world revolves around small-business.

45what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo wrote:That's fine. The real world revolves around small-business.

Exactly, thats why government should create a business friendly environment.

46what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Freeman wrote:
Jondo wrote:That's fine. The real world revolves around small-business.

Exactly, thats why government should create a business friendly environment, free of unions.
Fixed it fer ya. 'welcome.

47what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

what our city needs to do - Page 2 Lol

Damn, there's that theme again.

48what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

No, we don't wait for, or expect the government to do anything. They've done enough. They need to be neutered. All that's missing is a mechanism that unifies the strength of the masses. Elections are not that anymore - despite the old bullshit adage. The whole system needs to be killed.

49what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Or just elect DeanK mayor. what our city needs to do - Page 2 Icon_smile

50what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting to spend money!
There are those that will spend for quality, and those that have "other" priorities.
I believe that Winnipeg has only a very small percentage that will spend, far smaller than is "normal", whatever normal means.
In the furniture and clothing business that is why Holt's sells the discontinued or left overs from the Holt Renfrew chain. That is why all the high end furniture stores are gone leaving Winnipegers with only the lower end qualities, and with Wpgers thinking that they bought an expensive sofa when they spend $1000 on a sofa instead of the sofa, loveseat and chair that one of the warehouse outlets had on for $999 a short time ago.
That $1000 chair is not particularly expensive, dining room chair out of real wood , that is!
There is a company in Vancouver that cuts dining room chairs out of real wood that sells the chairs for around $1500 each!
In the U.S. most of the manufactureres have closed because of cheap knock offs from China that haven't got the quality, but have the "cheap" price ticket that many consumers want.
The market will decide.
In the 1960' in Wpg, population appx 250,000, had Steek's Fine Furniture, Wilson's, Brick's, Eaton's Fine Furniture, The Penthouse, There was a modern furniture store across from Eaton's, and now with Wpg at 650,000 still has Brick's and our little store.
Our clients spend less money over time than you will spend for a sofa that is comfortable from day 1, because after 10 years our sofa is still looking good and is still comfortable, that is if you use it a lot. Most people either do not care, or do not want to spend more for a better quality , because they cannot see the differance.
In todays market those that want inexpensive, can get the cheapest furniture ever made, and are laughing at how inexpensive it is.
We are working on promoting to that market a $1299, contemporary sofa, that is the best value on the market! It has the quality and an incredible value. We started advertising (we don't advertise our $2000 -$4000 sofas) in Novenber and had our 1st sales in early December, and delivered the orders before Xmas!
In the middle of December, one of our "repeat" clients, came in and purchased over $30,000 for one or 2 cottages. We get our clients coming back after 12 years changing the material because they are tired of the material, and the sofa foam does not have to be replaced because of wear!
Quality is comfortable from day one and continues after day 3,650! Cheaper over 10 years! More comfortable! Looks better!

http://www.elansofas.com

51what our city needs to do - Page 2 Empty Re: what our city needs to do Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:
Outsider wrote:There are some comments insinuating Winnipeggers are cheap.

This is not unique to Canada. Hell now some third world countries are sending jobs elsewhere due to rising labour costs... Ironic as hell eh?

Canada is not in a recession due to the practise of off-shoring jobs. Canada is in a recession because the whole world is right-sizing their economies after too many years of super-heated consumerism.

Canada is in a recession due to the unions.

IMHO Canada is in a recession due to GREED.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum