the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Record Population Growth for Manitoba!

+8
EdWin
Miz point
St Norberter
Triniman
grumpy old man
wpg_idiot
LivingDead
AGEsAces
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor

Given that line of thought, would Winnipeg be better off without Boeing's $350-400 million annual economic contribution? It is mind boggling to think that what started as a minor operation with less than 100 employees because of an agreement to buy a few aircraft has turned into one of the premier composites centres in the world. Without the intital government involvement none of it would exist, here or elsewhere in Canada.

27Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:

Government involvment is not necessarily bad when it's good for "us".

Like the CF-18 contract in 1985...

My point exactly, had it been taking from Quebec and given to Manitoba no one would be complaining. Because it went the other way, we're still sore about it. I don't agree with it one bit, but none of us complain when it falls our way....as the example I illustrated with Boeing Winnipeg for instance.

28Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

on an interesting and related note
whites will no longer make up the majority of people in the US by 2050. They will still be the group with the highest percentage.. but it wont be above 50%.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091216/ap_on_go_ot/us_white_minority

29Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:44 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The CF18 contract SHOULD have gone to Winnipeg if I recall the circumstances correctly. It was those circumstances that offended so many. To this day still it rankles many.

That said if Boeing came to Winnipeg under similar circumstances (ie it SHOULD of gone to Quebec) then I agree with Grumpyrom. However, if Winnipeg won fair and square... Then it is an apples and oranges discussion.

30Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 pm

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

LennyJessop wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:

Unfortunately, you are following the oft-referenced theory that the CF-18 contract to Quebec was a bad deal.

The CF-18 contract was for maintenance of CANADA's CF-18 fleet. What Manitoba got was the maintenance contract for Canada's CF-5s. The economic spin offs from that contract were actually greater than the CF-18 contract. Why? Because few countries were flying the CF-18s at the time, at those that did fly the CF-18s did their own internal maintenance. The CF-5 was still widely used throughout the world. Most countries that flew them did not have established aerospace industries and therefore had to send their planes to places like Canada for maintenance. So, the economic benefits overall and from outside canada were greater from the CF-5 than the CF-18, even though the CF-18 was higher visibility and higher tech.

Nevertheless, we are talking about maintenance agreements, not hi-tech aerospace development and manufacturing. Had we received the CF-18 contracts, it's highly unlikely that we would be designing or even building aircraft at more than a component level which is what Boeing already does.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

31Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Me and the gf were two people who moved to manitoba from another province this year, however that will be offset once school is completed and we leave in early 2011

32Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Anonymous

casualchris wrote:Me and the gf were two people who moved to manitoba from another province this year, however that will be offset once school is completed and we leave in early 2011

You can add me to the "new" Manitobans, even though I only left province for 4 years.

33Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Anonymous

St Norberter wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:
grumpyrom wrote:

Unfortunately, you are following the oft-referenced theory that the CF-18 contract to Quebec was a bad deal.

The CF-18 contract was for maintenance of CANADA's CF-18 fleet. What Manitoba got was the maintenance contract for Canada's CF-5s. The economic spin offs from that contract were actually greater than the CF-18 contract. Why? Because few countries were flying the CF-18s at the time, at those that did fly the CF-18s did their own internal maintenance. The CF-5 was still widely used throughout the world. Most countries that flew them did not have established aerospace industries and therefore had to send their planes to places like Canada for maintenance. So, the economic benefits overall and from outside canada were greater from the CF-5 than the CF-18, even though the CF-18 was higher visibility and higher tech.

Nevertheless, we are talking about maintenance agreements, not hi-tech aerospace development and manufacturing. Had we received the CF-18 contracts, it's highly unlikely that we would be designing or even building aircraft at more than a component level which is what Boeing already does.

Please tell me you're joking. Or at least try talking to someone who has been employed in the Aerospace industry in Winnipeg for the last 15 years.

34Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:22 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

good white english peeps I hope.

35Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Found on another site... Winnipeg CMA population in 2009 reached 742k...

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/demo05a-eng.htm
Record Population Growth for Manitoba! - Page 2 4332055342_418408e958_o

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum