the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Record Population Growth for Manitoba!

+8
EdWin
Miz point
St Norberter
Triniman
grumpy old man
wpg_idiot
LivingDead
AGEsAces
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Anonymous

Manitoba Sees Record-Breaking Population Growth

Dec. 07, 2009

Provincial growth grew by nearly 17,000 or 1.4% since this time last year, according to the Manitoba Bureau of Statistics (MBS).

It’s the biggest increase in individuals since 1971, when modern-day record keeping began.

Over the last 12 months, an estimated total of 13,101 immigrants made their new homes in Manitoba. This is well above the 10,902 who arrived in the previous 12-month period.

According to MBS estimates, Manitoba’s population stood at 1,226,000 as of October 1.
-----

This is great news for Manitoba. More people = more jobs!

2Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:51 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

And it was probably 12000 Filipino immigrants.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

...plus 6 Germans and one Icelander. Wink

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:...plus 6 Germans and one Icelander. Wink

More like 500 Germans. The few German immigrants at my work all have 6 to 10 children each. And the good thing about that is, they all have jobs. JOBS, not welfare.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

5Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 am

Anonymous

LivingDead wrote:
JTF wrote:...plus 6 Germans and one Icelander. Wink

More like 500 Germans. The few German immigrants at my work all have 6 to 10 children each. And the good thing about that is, they all have jobs. JOBS, not welfare.

Germans are hard working people who more than pull their weight. Manitoba should advertise it's "beauty" in some Eurpoean countries. Perhaps we can send pics of our license plates to every European nation to fool them into believing Manitoba is some sort of holiday destination (which it is technically for 3 months), and kindly omit our unpleasant winter weather.

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

Yes, record population growth. But how much of it is by choice? When all our growth is by foreign immigrants placed here by the government, what's that say about desirability within country? What industry moved to Manitoba to support this growth? How many jobs have been created? How many WELL PAYING jobs are here?

Anonymous

wpg_idiot wrote:Yes, record population growth. But how much of it is by choice? When all our growth is by foreign immigrants placed here by the government, what's that say about desirability within country? What industry moved to Manitoba to support this growth? How many jobs have been created? How many WELL PAYING jobs are here?

You have to be kidding. Immigrants create jobs. In fact, this has been so well documented that I do not care to elaborat on this. If you wish to research this, go ahead, but Immigrants don't com here to leech off the Canadian government. They work hard to create a better life for their family.

Just like the English in the 17th Century
Just like the Irish in the 19th century
Just like the Jews, Central, and Eastern Europeans in the late 19th/early 20th century
Just like the Italians, Portuguese, and Germans after WW2
Just like the Japanese in the 20th century
Just like the Chinese in the 20th Century.
I can go on and on.

How many Philippinos (the last major wave of immigrants in Winnipeg) do you know that sit on welfare and wait for Government handouts?

They open restaurants, businesses, etc.

New business = jobs.

I'm not implying you are xenophobic, but it does seem like it. Immigrants create jobs and stimulate the economy. End of story.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

wpg_idiot wrote:Yes, record population growth. But how much of it is by choice? When all our growth is by foreign immigrants placed here by the government, what's that say about desirability within country? What industry moved to Manitoba to support this growth? How many jobs have been created? How many WELL PAYING jobs are here?

I disagree as well. I'd say your comment is based upon ignorance rather than fact. No offense meant.

Manitoba is put forth to potential immigrants as a desirous locale for those looking to change their lot in life. Most peeps decide to come to Manitoba with their eyes wide open after doing their homework. These people are not afraid to work hard. Some take the jobs many home grown Canadians will not.

It was recently reported Manitoba immigrants indicated these people stayed here as opposed to relocating to other Canadian provinces.

Secondly "all of Manitoba's growth" is not immigrants from other countries. A good part is other Canadians moving here and repatriated Manitobans. Then there is the positive birth rate.

Take a hard look at the facts wpg_idiot. Our unemployment rate has been the lowest or second lowest consistently for a couple years. This despite a global recession that has brought many economies to their knees. Yet the province has grown... Hmmmm.

Imagine how we'd of done with a real government...

Anonymous

I thought that under this program, the immigrants were skilled. I believe that most of those Germans were machinists. Just askin.

10Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Imagine how we'd of done with a real government...

In your opinion, what should have been done differently?

11Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think for a truly healthy population growth in Manitoba, you would need both immigration from other countries and immigration from other provinces.

We seem to be doing well at immigration from other countries.

We seem to be failing miserably at immigration from other provinces. Why the difference? I think it may have something to with scale. When people move here from other countries, they often move here because they have a community or a family here. They come to work one job.

When you see immigration from other provinces, it is usually due to an industry demand, or relocation of a major business or industry.

What major industry in Manitoba is driving demand for inter-provincial immigration at a higher rate than other provinces? None.

Any industry looking at re-locating? Nope

Any major company looking at moving here? Nope.

People may cite aerospace, but really, is our aerospace sector any bigger than Ontario or Quebec? And are they high tech jobs ( designing and building aircraft) ? , or medium skilled jobs (repairing aircraft) where people can be trained for relatively quick?

Another industry that is cited is the film industry. Granted, it pumps big bucks into the economy, but what demand does it drive for people to relocate here? None. It's a transient industry. The number of people who work in that industry full time here is small. When there is a film shooting, people come in from outside the province, but leave when it is done.

We have been failing for too long at attracting inter-provincial immigration. We need to correct that soon!

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

12Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:And it was probably 12000 Filipino immigrants.

hahahaha.....I would say it is probably due to all those aboriginal teen moms who are following the advice of one chief who told the people that Canada will eventually return to the natives by virtue of the fact that natives reproduce more.....I wonder though what the numbers would reveal, say in just the last five years....?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

13Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 pm

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

My post was NOT out of ignorance. St. Norberter stated my sentiments clearer.

14Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 am

Anonymous

St Norberter wrote:

People may cite aerospace, but really, is our aerospace sector any bigger than Ontario or Quebec? And are they high tech jobs ( designing and building aircraft) ? , or medium skilled jobs (repairing aircraft) where people can be trained for relatively quick?

Our Aerospace sector would have been the biggest in Canada, except for that a$$hole Mulroney passing over a much superior CF-18 bid by a Winnipeg company in 1985, in favor of giving it to Montreal to appease the separatists. I've never forgiven him for that injustice, and never will.

15Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I doubt our aerospace sector would have ballooned into the largest in Canada. Some serious stuff going on in Quebec what with Bombardier and others. I believe the aerospace sector in Ontario has contracted rather significantly.
KEY CANADIAN CLUSTERS

Manitoba
Manitoba is home to the largest aerospace sector in Western Canada and is the third largest provider of aerospace goods and services in Canada. Four world-class firms anchor the sector: Aveos Fleet Performance Inc., Bristol Aerospace Limited, Boeing Canada and Standard Aero. The province is also home to 23 established regional and national firms that specialize in tool and dye making, precision sheet metal fabrication, plating and coating and electronics.

Winnipeg is the largest aerospace cluster in western Canada, and is a major centre in North America for manufacturing composite aircraft components, and aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul.

It is home to one of Boeing’s ten major global sites for commercial aircraft, one of only three such sites outside the United States. Boeing’s composite manufacturing facility in Winnipeg is the largest such facility in North America.

The cluster directly employs approximately 5,300 people, led by four global leading firms—Boeing Technology Canada, Magellan Aerospace, Aveos and StandardAero, one of the largest independent MRO firms in the world—plus 23 other established regional and national firms and several mid-sized aerospace suppliers.

British Columbia (BC) Greater Vancouver, the province’s main aerospace cluster, benefits from its proximity to Boeing’s home in neighbouring Washington State. The cluster’s aerospace strengths include: helicopter services, aero engine overhaul, multi-role aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul, space systems, and advanced composite aerostructures.

The industry here is also supported by one of Canada’s largest aerospace training centres at the British Columbia Institute of Technology.

Leading BC aerospace firms include ASCO Aerospace, Avcorp Industries, Cascade Aerospace, CHC Helicopter, Kelowna Flightcraft, MDA Corp., MTU Maintenance, Vector Aerospace and Viking Air.

Alberta’s aerospace and defence industry contributes $1.3 billion in revenue yearly to the economy, as well as over 5,000 jobs exclusive of airlines and airports, and exports 40 percent of its output. The province offers competitive strengths in robotics and unmanned vehicle systems (UVS); space science, geomatics and navigation systems; and maintenance, repair and overhaul. Over 50 aerospace companies are located in and around Calgary alone, with strong clusters in maintenance, repair and overhaul, and information communication technology. Major aerospace companies in Alberta include ATCO Frontec, Field Aviation, ITRES, Iunctus Geomatics, Pratt & Whitney, NovAtel, and Raytheon.

Saskatchewan’s aerospace companies operate in satellite technology, wireless communication systems, atmospheric research and testing, synchrotron research and development, microelectromechanical devices, building structures, cases and harnesses, mini unmanned aerial vehicles and training programs. These organizations employ approximately 2,500 people.

The province’s aerospace companies are located near Saskatoon, including SED Systems, Vecima Networks, Scientific Instrumentations, Summit Structures, SBC Case and Draganfly Innovations.

Quebec Montréal is the hub of Canada’s largest aerospace cluster and is renowned for its expertise in aircraft assembly, engine manufacturing, maintenance repair and overhaul, avionics and landing gear.

Over 42,400 employees work in Quebec’s aerospace industry for firms such as Bombardier Aerospace, Bell Helicopter Textron Canada, Pratt & Whitney Canada, Rolls-Royce Canada and CAE. In 2008 alone, Quebec’s aerospace exports totalled over $8 billion.

Montréal is home to more than 10 aerospace research centers, including the Canadian Space Agency, the Aerospace Manufacturing Technology Centre and the Consortium for Research and Innovation in Aerospace in Quebec. Montréal also has a well integrated network of support agencies, hosting the Quebec Aerospace Association, Aéro Montréal and the headquarters of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the International Business Aviation Council (IBAC) and the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Southwestern Ontario represents Canada’s second largest aerospace cluster with over 200 firms employing more than 20,000 skilled employees. Toronto, the core of this cluster, has key strengths in aircraft parts manufacturing, aircraft systems development, and maintenance and overhaul. Toronto also hosts many world-leading aerospace firms, such as Bombardier Aerospace, Pratt & Whitney Canada, Honeywell Canada, Magellan and Northstar Aerospace. The University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Study and Ryerson University’s Institute for Aerospace Design and Innovation collaborate with industry partners on numerous R&D projects.

Halifax is home to a number of world-renowned aerospace firms specializing in composite fabrication, electronic assemblies, simulation and modeling technologies, and engine manufacturing. These include Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney Canada, IMP Group, EADS Composites Atlantic, C Vision and CAE.

Prince Edward Island The Charlottetown cluster specializes in engine maintenance, repair and overhaul and the manufacturing of precision components, engine coatings and airplane interiors. Nine aerospace firms, including Honeywell Canada and Vector Aerospace Engine Services Atlantic, operate in the province, specifically as a part of Slemon Park, “home of Prince Edward Island’s aerospace industry.” Holland College’s Aerospace Technology Centre provides a range of training opportunities for the burgeoning aerospace industry.

16Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

But wasn't Quebec's large aerospace industry due largely to interference from the federal government?

17Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:03 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Where would Bombardier be today without the untold millions of dollars in subsidy money from the Feds?

Government shouldn't be in the business of interfering with capitalism.

18Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Anonymous

LennyJessop wrote:

Our Aerospace sector would have been the biggest in Canada, except for that a$$hole Mulroney passing over a much superior CF-18 bid by a Winnipeg company in 1985, in favor of giving it to Montreal to appease the separatists.

I don't think it was to appease any separatists...it was simply to get enough seats in Quebec to form a majority I'd say. Politics is a blood sport afterall.

19Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Anonymous

JTF wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:

Our Aerospace sector would have been the biggest in Canada, except for that a$$hole Mulroney passing over a much superior CF-18 bid by a Winnipeg company in 1985, in favor of giving it to Montreal to appease the separatists.

I don't think it was to appease any separatists...it was simply to get enough seats in Quebec to form a majority I'd say. Politics is a blood sport afterall.

All I know is Winnipeg really got shafted in that deal. Mulroney obviously viewed Quebec and ontario as the only provinces that mattered. The West repeated got the shaft. That's why the Reform Party took virtually every seat held by the PC party in the next election.

20Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:

What was the end result? The Bloc.

21Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:09 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:
LennyJessop wrote:

As much as I am proud to have Quebec as part of my nation, they, among another group of minorities, are a huge drain on the taxpayers of this country. As much as I hate to admit it, I think that we would be better off financially as a nation with them gone.

22Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:Where would Bombardier be today without the untold millions of dollars in subsidy money from the Feds?

Government shouldn't be in the business of interfering with capitalism.

Boeing Winnipeg wouldn't even exist if it weren't for foreign offset agreements (which are common in the aerospace industry) and the fact that Air Canada was a crown corporation in the early 70's. The only reason we have any Boeing presence in Winnipeg is because our government worked out that original agreement. It has since grown from those meager beginnings to be a major composites centre, but that doesn't change the fact that it was government "interference" that brought it here to begin with.

Government involvment is not necessarily bad when it's good for "us".

23Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:22 am

Anonymous

Well...imo, whenever 'government' makes decisions, they're usually political, and those interests are usually very narrow, and not always best for the majority. (although we like to believe otherwise).

24Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:

Government involvment is not necessarily bad when it's good for "us".

Like the CF-18 contract in 1985...

25Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Empty Re: Record Population Growth for Manitoba! Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Given that line of thought, would Winnipeg be better off without Boeing's $350-400 million annual economic contribution? It is mind boggling to think that what started as a minor operation with less than 100 employees because of an agreement to buy a few aircraft has turned into one of the premier composites centres in the world. Without the intital government involvement none of it would exist, here or elsewhere in Canada.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum