the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taking Ex-Landlord to Court.

+4
usedtoliveinstb
Miz point
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 am

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

usedtoliveinstb wrote:
HurtinAlbertan wrote:
usedtoliveinstb wrote:Why would you take someone to court over less than 500 dollars? Just discuss it with them, threaten to take them to court but don't waste the system's time over a few bucks like that.

Done that already. No luck...

I assume you are joking when you say recovering almost $500 via small claims court is a 'waste of the systems time.'

Ah, I see, and no luck I assume. Well, it's always preferable to not have to go to court, but I guess if you have nothing to lose. It's just a matter of whether you have to the free time to commit to this.

From a theoretical legal standpoint:

Your contract is for a month of rent for the aforementioned price. You concluded your acceptance of the agreement and officiated it with the act of paying the cash plus the damage deposit. The landlord's obligation is to provide room for you for the period of one month pre-paid. I think it would be very reasonable for you to request reimbursement for damages (breach of contract) for the rent, precisely accomodation (housing) for the period in which it was no longer received. Also, you might be entitled to more than the initial month when things like 1 month minimum notice are taken into account. It would be unreasonable to expect you to leave in only 30-x days, you should have at least 30 days notice!

However, the damage deposit itself is slightly less certain. It is impossible to tell whether or not you have damaged the property, but the fact that the property is now damaged by the fire should alleviate you of the responsibility. So throwing that in is probably not a terrible idea.

That said, I have not read any rental codes, so I cannot reasonably predict what any existing legislation or by-law may influence the above basic principle I have stated. Also, I am in no way a lawyer and nothing I suggest should be taken as advice! It is just brainstorming.

I would recommend you go see a lawyer and make sure that you're not wasting your time. You might find out that you're entitled to more or less than you consider reasonable.

For his estimated costs, the procuring of an attorney would cost him the balance of what he is owed or perhaps more....and therefore for what gain? Nada.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

27Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Any one recommending a lawyer simply doesn't understand the situation at all!
A Lawyer would probably have to ask for a $500 to a $1000 as a retainer, for the estimated hours involved to prepare a case like this! That said, you now know why there is a small debt Court. It is set up to allow claims up to $10,000 to be heard and judged cheaply, usually by one person suing another company or vice-versa.
Collecting is another thing, that you have to do yourself.
I bet you there are some people who rent out and one always have to sue them for the damage deposit. Most people don't bother because it seems like a huge time consuming thing.
I think that you can get all the papers on-line, and their phone information, no legal advise, should allow you to serve the lanslord. I asume that you know where he lives? Service is a problem, because sending a registered letter probably won't be accepted, but the sending of the claim to his known address, might be enough? That will be in the instructions.
I bet you after you serve him, he will cough up with your money because he cannot win.For him not to pay you is really terrible.
If you have a problem put it up on the forum and I am sure that there are those that can give you poor free advise.
I have been to small debt court over the years. Your case is loaded in your favour.

http://www.elansofas.com

28Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think the recommendation was to discuss it with a lawyer. Won't most lawyers meet with people for an initial consultation without charge?

29Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am

Anonymous

I guess I will have to see what transpires today. I'm not sure where to go, but I assume it will be at the Court house on York and Kennedy. Wish me luck!

30Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:30 am

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

There's no lawyers in small claims court. Grumpy is right, I said just run it by a lawyer. Most lawyers are genuinely well educated and friendly people. Just be upfront and say that you're not looking to hire him, but just need some quick advice. Then maybe down the road you'll slip and fall somewhere and he can sue a business for you on comission Wink

31Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 am

Anonymous

It is my understanding that the Residential Tenancies Act had changes implimented in part, to do away with the need to go to Small Claims Court. An Order of the RTB or the Commission has legal authority, that is, you can go and get a Garnishment Order with the Order.

The Act is far from perfect....far, FAR from perfect, but I would have thought that this is clearly within the domain of the RTB.

I would phone back and ask again as I do know that they are experiencing a knowledge deficit as a lot of people retired and they have some fools working there currently.

The only thing that I can see changing my understanding of the situation is that as a fire happened, it now may be an "insurance" thingy.

I take it that you didn't have Renter's Insurance eh?

32Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:44 am

Anonymous

JTF wrote:It is my understanding that the Residential Tenancies Act had changes implimented in part, to do away with the need to go to Small Claims Court. An Order of the RTB or the Commission has legal authority, that is, you can go and get a Garnishment Order with the Order.

The Act is far from perfect....far, FAR from perfect, but I would have thought that this is clearly within the domain of the RTB.

I would phone back and ask again as I do know that they are experiencing a knowledge deficit as a lot of people retired and they have some fools working there currently.

The only thing that I can see changing my understanding of the situation is that as a fire happened, it now may be an "insurance" thingy.

I take it that you didn't have Renter's Insurance eh?

Unfortunately not.

However as I uderstand, renters insurance covers losses of material sustained in the fire, and has nothing to do with rent or damage deposit.

33Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:17 pm

Anonymous

That's where the RTB comes in...or is supposed to I believe.

I believe that insurance would have allowed you to be put up in a hotel and have your personal effects covered.

Hell, Damage/Security deposits are clearly within the mandate of the RTB.

Did you phone again?

This time, pretend that you are a landlord and ask for clarification in general terms.

Check their (RTB) policy...

http://www.manitoba.ca/finance/cca/rtb/gbook/index.html

34Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:22 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

Who's your MLA?

35Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:00 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Why would an MLA be involved in a civil matter?

36Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:06 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

HA, check your lease carefully. The fire was not the fault of the landlord, so there might be something in there about frustration. SOunds like you should get you deposit back at least. He can't blame you because the firemen didn't wipe their feet before walking on the carpet. Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Icon_smile

37Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

All the information regarding a small claim should be on line HurtinAlbertan. Phone me at my workplace # 489 X872 in the morning, and I will go over things with you, or in the evening at my home.
I have some of the records of the small debt paperwork, as over the years I have been there 1/2 dozen times.

Last edited by rosencrentz on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

38Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:HA, check your lease carefully. The fire was not the fault of the landlord, so there might be something in there about frustration. SOunds like you should get you deposit back at least. He can't blame you because the firemen didn't wipe their feet before walking on the carpet. Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Icon_smile

What is funny is the landlordd did not write up a lease when he let me move in early Spetember. I assume that will work in my favor.

39Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:All the information regarding a small claim should be on line HurtinAlbertan. Phone me at my workplace # 489 0872 in the morning, and I will go over things with you, or in the evening at my home.
I have some of the records of the small debt paperwork, as over the years I have been there 1/2 dozen times.

I appreciate your help, and I may call you tomorrow, as I am getting ready to go out with a lady friend. You feel comfortable enough to place your worknumber on a public forum? Shocked

40Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:18 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We get 3 calls a day , and if we get some crank calls that will certainly make for a livelier day!
I will take out the zero!

41Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:20 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

HurtinAlberta you have to lose the Zero! lol

42Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:00 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

Freeman wrote:Why would an MLA be involved in a civil matter?

MLA's are very good at pointing you towards the right person to speak with to get the result you want.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum