the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taking Ex-Landlord to Court.

+4
usedtoliveinstb
Miz point
rosencrentz
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Anonymous

as some of you know one month ago the residence I was renting sufferent extensive fire damage when a fellow resident upstairs fell asleep with a lit cigarette, and burned the house. Now my ex-landlord has not returned any of my calls regarding refunding my rent and damage deposit.

I contacted the Residental Tenancy Board, but they told me there is nothing they could do, and to go to court. Not sure how I should proceed. Anyone have any suggestions?

2Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I suspect JTF can offer advise that you will find useful.

What about small claims court?

3Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Small claims works good. Get instructions and follow them, but add the damage you sustained , and don't forget to sue the individuals who caused the fire at the same time.
You better find some property the landlord owns, your residence, because just with a win in court doesn't get you the money. You have to collect it on your own.
How much money are you talking about?

http://www.elansofas.com

4Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I don't get it....seems like a cut and dry issue. I know far too many folks in the last year who have had to go to small claims to get deposits back. So what does the Tenancy board do in order to justify its existence because at first glance they do not seem to be doing piss bugger all.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

5Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Anonymous

Miz point wrote:I don't get it....seems like a cut and dry issue. I know far too many folks in the last year who have had to go to small claims to get deposits back. So what does the Tenancy board do in order to justify its existence because at first glance they do not seem to be doing piss bugger all.

Your guess is as good as mine....

6Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:Small claims works good. Get instructions and follow them, but add the damage you sustained , and don't forget to sue the individuals who caused the fire at the same time.
You better find some property the landlord owns, your residence, because just with a win in court doesn't get you the money. You have to collect it on your own.
How much money are you talking about?

Thanks Rosie.

hmmm maybe I should sue for psycological trauma....haha jk. I can't sue the people upstairs since they are just a couple of foolish 19 year olds with no assets, and they lost all their belongings in the fire.

I guess I will have to goto small claims court. I don't even know why we have the Residential Tenancy Board, as they can't do anything. I am just looking for compensation for:

-damage depost ($200)
-monthly rent - days before fire (31-9)= 400-120 =$280
total= $480

7Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:48 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

Why would you take someone to court over less than 500 dollars? Just discuss it with them, threaten to take them to court but don't waste the system's time over a few bucks like that.

8Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Anonymous

usedtoliveinstb wrote:Why would you take someone to court over less than 500 dollars? Just discuss it with them, threaten to take them to court but don't waste the system's time over a few bucks like that.

Done that already. No luck...

I assume you are joking when you say recovering almost $500 via small claims court is a 'waste of the systems time.'

9Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:09 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

What's done is done. No sense living in the past. YOU SHOULD QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT ENTITLEMENT AND LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST. It won't be easy.

10Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

death128 wrote:What's done is done. No sense living in the past. YOU SHOULD QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT ENTITLEMENT AND LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST. It won't be easy.

LMAO..oh please. Maybe you should heed your own advice. Smile

11Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Anonymous

death128 wrote:What's done is done. No sense living in the past. YOU SHOULD QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT ENTITLEMENT AND LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST. It won't be easy.

wow.

You have issues...

PS. Can you please not hijack a thread with your own personal agenda. If you want to debate something, please be civil and keep it in the appropriate thread.

Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:12 pm

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

I'm just bugging using the arguments from the other thread lol.

13Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

he likes to try and stir the pot....I just laugh...HAHAHAHAHAHA

14Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Anonymous

death128 wrote:I'm just bugging using the arguments from the other thread lol.

It's always easier to blame someone for your own shortcomings in life than it is to take a long look in the mirror and correct yourself.

15Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:26 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
usedtoliveinstb wrote:Why would you take someone to court over less than 500 dollars? Just discuss it with them, threaten to take them to court but don't waste the system's time over a few bucks like that.

I assume you are joking when you say recovering almost $500 via small claims court is a 'waste of the systems time.'

Ah, I see, and no luck I assume. Well, it's always preferable to not have to go to court, but I guess if you have nothing to lose. It's just a matter of whether you have to the free time to commit to this.

From a theoretical legal standpoint:

Your contract is for a month of rent for the aforementioned price. You concluded your acceptance of the agreement and officiated it with the act of paying the cash plus the damage deposit. The landlord's obligation is to provide room for you for the period of one month pre-paid. I think it would be very reasonable for you to request reimbursement for damages (breach of contract) for the rent, precisely accomodation (housing) for the period in which it was no longer received. Also, you might be entitled to more than the initial month when things like 1 month minimum notice are taken into account. It would be unreasonable to expect you to leave in only 30-x days, you should have at least 30 days notice!

However, the damage deposit itself is slightly less certain. It is impossible to tell whether or not you have damaged the property, but the fact that the property is now damaged by the fire should alleviate you of the responsibility. So throwing that in is probably not a terrible idea.

That said, I have not read any rental codes, so I cannot reasonably predict what any existing legislation or by-law may influence the above basic principle I have stated. Also, I am in no way a lawyer and nothing I suggest should be taken as advice! It is just brainstorming.

I would recommend you go see a lawyer and make sure that you're not wasting your time. You might find out that you're entitled to more or less than you consider reasonable.

16Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Anonymous

Hopefully everything works out. Going to court is a last resort. The guy who owns the residence agreed to reimburse me on October 17. He never called, and has avoided returning the several calls I have placed. It's really a pain to go through this. Hopefully everything works out at the end though...

PS...Hope you liked my PM about borrowing $480 haha, my feeble attempt at humor.

17Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

If it does go to court, the longer he fails to reimburse you could work in your favour, as you might be entitled to some interest over the period of his failure to pay you.

18Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Anonymous

usedtoliveinstb wrote:If it does go to court, the longer he fails to reimburse you could work in your favour, as you might be entitled to some interest over the period of his failure to pay you.

Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Burns-excellent

19Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Put up the name of your landlord, his address and phone number,please.

20Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 pm

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

rosencrentz wrote:Put up the name of your landlord, his address and phone number,please.

Keep in mind that if you do so you'd potentially be opening yourself up to civil litigation if the landlord suffered a prejudice as a foreseable result of your naming his name in an internet forum.

...just sayin'.

21Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:

LMAO..oh please. Maybe you should heed your own advice. Smile
EXACTLY!!!

22Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Suffered a prejudice? Load of crap- I would like to know what rental houses this property manager has available!
So I won't rent from him, of course.
Is it a company? Is it private? Sounds like someone to stay away from

23Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:27 am

usedtoliveinstb

usedtoliveinstb

rosencrentz wrote:Suffered a prejudice? Load of crap-

Worse, it's extra contractual obligation.

24Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:54 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dude...one pays a filing fee in order to have a small claims court case.....

25Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Empty Re: Taking Ex-Landlord to Court. Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

usedtoliveinstb wrote:
HurtinAlbertan wrote:

Ah, I see, and no luck I assume. Well, it's always preferable to not have to go to court, but I guess if you have nothing to lose. It's just a matter of whether you have to the free time to commit to this.

From a theoretical legal standpoint:

Your contract is for a month of rent for the aforementioned price. You concluded your acceptance of the agreement and officiated it with the act of paying the cash plus the damage deposit. The landlord's obligation is to provide room for you for the period of one month pre-paid. I think it would be very reasonable for you to request reimbursement for damages (breach of contract) for the rent, precisely accomodation (housing) for the period in which it was no longer received. Also, you might be entitled to more than the initial month when things like 1 month minimum notice are taken into account. It would be unreasonable to expect you to leave in only 30-x days, you should have at least 30 days notice!

However, the damage deposit itself is slightly less certain. It is impossible to tell whether or not you have damaged the property, but the fact that the property is now damaged by the fire should alleviate you of the responsibility. So throwing that in is probably not a terrible idea.

That said, I have not read any rental codes, so I cannot reasonably predict what any existing legislation or by-law may influence the above basic principle I have stated. Also, I am in no way a lawyer and nothing I suggest should be taken as advice! It is just brainstorming.

I would recommend you go see a lawyer and make sure that you're not wasting your time. You might find out that you're entitled to more or less than you consider reasonable.

For his estimated costs, the procuring of an attorney would cost him the balance of what he is owed or perhaps more....and therefore for what gain? Nada.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum