the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine?

+14
Ex-Pat-Pegger
Chester
LivingDead
eViL tRoLl
holly golightly
tick
Bartron
JT Estoban
Miz point
Riverman
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you or have you been vaccinated for H1N1?

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_lcap4%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_lcap29%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 29% [ 7 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_lcap50%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 50% [ 12 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_lcap17%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 17% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:apparently if you are a drunk driving native cheif... the flu epidemic is a good thing
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/10/31/11589696-sun.html

so what does a chief need to do during a time like this?
oh I know he gives the shots right? no wait you need to have medical training for that right?

oh I know he governs all by himself right? no wait he has a council he works with

oh I know!!.. no wait you know what? I dont fucken know. I have no clue what he could possibly be needed for and this is his second damn offense..

for a guy who is a "social drinker who drinks maybe once a month", he has been caught three times now and this time it was with a bac of .15

"Nobody's perfect ... but still I know it should not have happened"

yeah maybe the first time I could buy that buddy... but the third time?
Seems the "special sentences" for Aboriginals continue. We should be more understanding though. They have led such terrible lives because of other peoples actions. They deserve special consideration...

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think this whole H1N1 thing is being blown out of proportion. The media is for sure causing panic.....

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Wheres the panic? Getting a flu shot is considered panic these days?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have not seen panic as yet. I also don't see where the media has gone overboard with their coverage and features.

People are dying from this thing. I'm not prepared to dismiss it out of hand. Frankly, saying "H1N1 thing is being blown out of proportion" may do more harm then any hysterical media story might.

I think we all need to be responsible for our own actions in this matter and not cause unnecessary worry one way or another.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Bartron wrote:Wheres the panic? Getting a flu shot is considered panic these days?

When it is front page news almost everyday? When has the seasonal flu shot ever been front page news? When it is the opening story on the news every night, that scares some people.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

When was the last time a 13 year old boy died from the flu after only a couple days?

When was the last time dozens of people were hospitalized, on respirators, in intensive care, from the flu?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dr Sanjay Gupta, the CNN Dr. Advisor, has stated that the per centage of deaths is down, compared to what has happened in the past, but since news stations don't really care about truth in reportong, report the number, which is alarming to some.
I think that the more sick people , old sick people who die early, is a real benefit to the health care costs!
Did you know that 90% of health care costs are in a peson's last 6 months of life! Old people should be put outside in Winnipeg's coldest winter months, maybe on the Assiniboine River, with very thin clothing!
That is a coming new business.

http://www.elansofas.com

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

survivor winnipeg.
great show.
too bad aboot the 13 of 16 succombing to the winter.
looks like canabilism is the winning strategy.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

tick, I am not a medical practitioner, nor do I profess to know much about such things, but I would strongly suggest that you do not get the vaccine shot for H1N1. It may react badly with other things that you are taking.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

[quote="grumpy old man"]When was the last time a 13 year old boy died from the flu after only a couple days?

When was the last time dozens of people were hospitalized, on respirators, in intensive care, from the flu?[/quote

How would we know that info? Do you seriously think the media would make that front page news? How many kids die everyday from cancer? Does that make front page news?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I have now heard from more then 10 people who had a very high temp after getting the shot. High enough to stay home from work and school for a day.. A few people have thrown up. And this just from my small circle of friends..

Since they are telling people this is normal, no one is tracking it at all. Yet the "normal" flu shot does not have nearly this amount of bad reactions.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

The 13 year old boy in Mississauga was not feeling well 3 or 4 days before a weekend hockey tournament and was still not 100% yet his parents still allowed him to play in the tournament. With his symptoms being similar to those of H1N1 and the fact this illness hits the respiratory system hard, I as a parent would not allow my child to exert to over use the lungs, thus possibly causing the virus to take hold even faster and stronger. I am not saying this is what happened to this young boy but it could be a factor. I am also not laying blame on the parents as they did what they thought was best and if the young boy said he was ok to play then they took him at his word. It is a sad case and one all parents should consider when they are evaluating the health of their children and sports.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

holly golightly wrote:The 13 year old boy in Mississauga was not feeling well 3 or 4 days before a weekend hockey tournament and was still not 100% yet his parents still allowed him to play in the tournament. With his symptoms being similar to those of H1N1 and the fact this illness hits the respiratory system hard, I as a parent would not allow my child to exert to over use the lungs, thus possibly causing the virus to take hold even faster and stronger. I am not saying this is what happened to this young boy but it could be a factor. I am also not laying blame on the parents as they did what they thought was best and if the young boy said he was ok to play then they took him at his word. It is a sad case and one all parents should consider when they are evaluating the health of their children and sports.

Hindsight is 20/20. Think of all the millions of parents who, in the same situation, allow their kids to participate...and nothing bad happens.

Anonymous

Yes but part of the problem is people who do not stay home when sick, or send the kid to school cause their is no baby sitter . So every one else gets what they have .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I blame the doctors who originally dismissed their worries when they took him to the hospital the first time.

Anonymous

Someone told me that they are giving three shots to everyone...one for H1N1, one for the regular seasonal flu and a third for pneumonia. Is this true?

btw, I'm not getting one (them).

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Someone told me that they are giving three shots to everyone...one for H1N1, one for the regular seasonal flu and a third for pneumonia. Is this true?

btw, I'm not getting one (them).

My wife works at the Victoria hospital and she has only gotten one shot for the H1N1. Maybe the other shots are for people with compromised immune systems?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:I blame the doctors who originally dismissed their worries when they took him to the hospital the first time.

Correction: the parents took him to a walk in clinic not a hospital.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:Someone told me that they are giving three shots to everyone...one for H1N1, one for the regular seasonal flu and a third for pneumonia. Is this true?
The three immunizations have different priority groups: The pneumonia shot is offered each year and is for the elderly (65+) only. The seasonal flu shot is also offered each year and is also for the elderly, children, and others with chronic diseases. The H1N1 is new this year because this is a virus with animal origin and higher risk that affects a different part of the population. It is NOT targeted for the elderly as high priority.
The various health agencies are doing a poor job communicating the differences and priorities.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Correction: the pneumonia shot if offered to those who have compromised immune systems (of any age) and those over 65.

Anonymous

Ahh. Thank you both. I now understand.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
Deank wrote:I blame the doctors who originally dismissed their worries when they took him to the hospital the first time.

Correction: the parents took him to a walk in clinic not a hospital.

But they only took him to the walk in clinic on the Saturday or Sunday after they allowed him to play and the illness got worse. Yes hindsight is 20/20 but with this illness being what it is a bit more precaution on everyone's part, regardless of whether they are taking the shot or not is warranted. They parents should have kept him home, the coach should have said you're not playing and the walk in clinic should have said let's do so tests just in case.
Again my heart felt condolences to this family as this is a tragedy that could have been prevented.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They still took him to a DOCTOR whom promptly sent him home to die.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:They still took him to a DOCTOR whom promptly sent him home to die.

So blame the Dr? No blame Dean, the kid was sick for a while. We have all been informed of H1N1 for quite sometime. There should be no blame.

For instance, my son had a high fever and was wheezing we rushed him to Children's Hospital and they took him right away. They thought he was having an asthma attack but he doesn't have asthma. The gave him Ventolin and kept him for an hour after to monitor....we took him home and he was fine the next day. For all we know he could've already had a mild case of H1N1. We didn't take any chances, we rushed him in.

I am not blaming the parents for their sons death, it is unfortunate and sad but it happens.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Have any of the kids on the 13 year olds hockey team come down with H1N1? With this being a so called pandemic you'd think the whole hockey team would be ill.

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:They still took him to a DOCTOR whom promptly sent him home to die.

They took him to a walk in clinic and in Ontario most walk in clinics are staffed by nurse practitioners and if the case is deemed serious enough then a doctor is called to look at the patient. I don't know the staffing of the particular clinic the parents took him to nor do I recall if they actually saw an MD, but obviously the parents were satisfied with the results they received at the clinic and followed the instructions given by the medical staff. If they were not satisfied, they should have proceeded to another, better facility like Sick Kid's in Toronto. Just saying you can't always take what the medical staff say as verbatim, follow your gut instincts and do what is best for your child as you know your child better than anyone except the child themselves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum