the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine?

+14
Ex-Pat-Pegger
Chester
LivingDead
eViL tRoLl
holly golightly
tick
Bartron
JT Estoban
Miz point
Riverman
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you or have you been vaccinated for H1N1?

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_lcap4%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_lcap29%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_rcap 29% [ 7 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_lcap50%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_rcap 50% [ 12 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_lcap17%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Vote_rcap 17% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I will not get that vaccine. I am still waiting to see if I will get my kids vaccinated. This is a really hard one, if I don't get them vaccinated and they become ill then I am to blame. If I do get them vaccinated and they become ill because of said vaccine I still blame myself. I hate the media/government for blowing this out of proportion...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I likely will.

Why do you believe the government is blowing this out of proportion? What real value is in that for them?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Yeah and apparently now they are saying we should do the vaccinations in school. Which would mean my children would be "outed" and ostrasized in school. We already have people screaming that those who dont get immunized should stay home and lock ourselves in the basement. Now this would give them a way of watching it.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually GC...I feel the opposite.

If I don't get it, it's my CHOICE...and I've had almost 40 years of immuno-building to fight off some infections...so may be ok.

My daughter hasn't had that same immuno-building time...so I may get it for her...but if she gets sick...then I don't blame myself...I blame the government for forcing it on so many people so quickly.

Sure I make the choice on whether she gets it or not...but judging from the mismanagement the government and health authorities already display...the fact that they are pushing so hard for this means it should be THEIR butt on the line for any negative side effects or problems caused.

The same as everyone wants to hold cigarette companies liable for advertising that cigarettes won't cause cancer...and everyone should smoke...the government & health authorities are to blame should anything go wrong.

http://www.photage.ca

Riverman

Riverman

I already got the seasonal shot and one for pneumonia. Ouch!
Yes I am getting the H1N1 shot, my doctor told me to. He bases his advice on science and logic.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am going to call a friend of mine who works for the WRHA because I need to know how folks like myself are classified with regards to neurological/immune system issues.....my immune system attacks me.....this is why I am scared to get a shot because what if the cure is worse than the ailment? I have been trying to source out info regarding my concerns but have received no answers that for now, would be satisfactory. Should I expect to get a satisfactory response? i do not believe so.

We are in teh beginning of second stage.....what if the virus mutates part way through and thus renders the vaccine ineffective? There are many questions that need to be answered.

We based our use of this vaccine on the European trials and I believe this data should be examined and boiled down into laymen's terms and published....perhaps that may answer a few of those questions.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I likely will.

Why do you believe the government is blowing this out of proportion? What real value is in that for them?

Not sure why they are going overboard regarding this flu. I know in the 70's the swine flu was suppose to make an appearance, the US did a vaccination program and about 4000 people came down with neurological disorders. The reason is because they rushed the vaccine out without enough research. That scares me. I will not get the vaccine for myself. I worry more about my kids. In my 39 years on this planet I have never had a flu shot of any kind. I can count on one hand how many times I've even had the flu.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I notice not one person has been vaccinated yet (according to my poll) yet the clinics are now on day 4.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I read somewhere, not sure where, that even people that have not "had" the flu have in fact have had it and their immunity system has done a damn fine job fighting it off. I guess I'm saying don't underestimate the flu.

FWIW...

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Goth_chic wrote:I notice not one person has been vaccinated yet (according to my poll) yet the clinics are now on day 4.

Only certain groups are allowed at those clinics (high risk peeps). While I actually fall into that category I have: 1) no patience to stand in those lines; b) no time; iii) just had my regular flu shot.

Don't read anything into your poll results just yet.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just spoke to my husband and he was talking with one of the guys he works with whose wife is an RN. They have a 5 year old daughter and are not getting her vaccinated. When a registered nurse who works on the front lines of the medical system is refusing the vaccine for herself as well as her daughter...makes me wonder.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I just got over the flu...well, sorta. Now it's just the cold that came along with it.

Not going to get the shot, I don't fall into any risk category, and I'm suspicious of how fast this vaccine was rushed to approval.

And like AGEs' says, health Canada and the others pushing, and pushing hard for folks to get the vaccine, should be taking responsibility for the sideaffects.

I'd still like to see the numbers for how many folks they figure will have side affects from the shot. AFAIK, they haven't released them (I haven't looked either)....but with every vaccine, they have a fatality/side effects guesstimate.

I'm just lucky I don't have kids, which means I get to skirt that conundrum!

Riverman

Riverman

MizP - ask your doctor. They know best.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:I notice not one person has been vaccinated yet (according to my poll) yet the clinics are now on day 4.

Only certain groups are allowed at those clinics (high risk peeps). While I actually fall into that category I have: 1) no patience to stand in those lines; b) no time; iii) just had my regular flu shot.

Don't read anything into your poll results just yet.

From what I understand, having the regular flu shot puts you more at risk of getting H1N1. I would think you would be one of the first in line to get this vaccine.

I have no underlying health conditions, my kids are both healthy with no medical problems. I am waiting to see what happens before I rush out and put a needle of God knows what into my childrens arms.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

They are blowing it out of proportion for the simple reason of they are being forced to.

When you have doctors and other so completely wrong about so many things you have to wonder where they are getting their information from.

(case in point doctors telling people that all of australia has been vaccinated and there were very few ill effect from the shot and very few deaths from swine flu, so that is proof the vaccine works!)

the only true part of that statement is that Australia had very few deaths from swine flu.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Only certain groups are allowed at those clinics (high risk peeps)."

they are actually allowing anyone to get the shot. The high risk is supposedly because they want those people to get the shot first.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Riverman wrote:MizP - ask your doctor. They know best.

That's almost laughable. Dr's know best? In this lovely system we have they barely have time to listen to you never mind address health concerns you may have. At least that is my own personal experience with our lovely system.

No miz p you are the only one who knows best! Follow your gut and your instincts.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Deank wrote:

They are blowing it out of proportion for the simple reason of they are being forced to.

When you have doctors and other so completely wrong about so many things you have to wonder where they are getting their information from.

(case in point doctors telling people that all of australia has been vaccinated and there were very few ill effect from the shot and very few deaths from swine flu, so that is proof the vaccine works!)

the only true part of that statement is that Australia had very few deaths from swine flu.

I'm glad you mentioned Australia. I have a girlfriend who has now been living there for 15 years. She is married with 2 young children. I sent her an email and asked her about the swine flu in Australia....she said she and her family were not vaccinated and they heard very little about this "pandemic". She also mentioned by the time the vaccine was ready for use, flu season was almost over.

Riverman

Riverman

I haven't had that experience. My doctor reads up on changes in his field all the time and knows his stuff. I trust him. And he does listen and makes time for his patients.

Perhaps you need a better doctor.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Goth_chic wrote:
Deank wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned Australia. I have a girlfriend who has now been living there for 15 years. She is married with 2 young children. I sent her an email and asked her about the swine flu in Australia....she said she and her family were not vaccinated and they heard very little about this "pandemic". She also mentioned by the time the vaccine was ready for use, flu season was almost over.

yep.. swine flu vaccine was available for general public use on September 30 ( in trials before that though)...However for kids 10 and under it was not available ( different vaccine) Until October 19.

End date of flu season in Australia? September 30.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Riverman wrote:I haven't had that experience. My doctor reads up on changes in his field all the time and knows his stuff. I trust him.

Perhaps you need a better doctor.

Perhaps I do. Try finding a new dr in this system, very few are taking new patients. I am also basing my opinion on the 5 years my mother spent in and out of hospitals before she finally died. I saw first hand how these so called "professionals" operate. I remember when my Mom was first diagnosed with leukemia, the 5 dr's at HSC had a meeting with us. They said my Mother would not live the week, they even had her in the room with us. She was crying and 4 of those dr's were cold and didn't seem to care. 1 dr was not like them and he told me there is always hope, hold onto that. And guess what??? She lived another 4.5 years. They know best alright. On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? Icon_rolleyes

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Riverman wrote:MizP - ask your doctor. They know best.

I do not have a regular physician....all the traveling precludes that. I have been bounced around the system for years and have grown very weary....Telling me, someone who most likely is as well-versed as any doctor regarding her particular ailment could be taken as a condescending remark but I know that you have never exhibited that sort of behaviour so I will let the obvious, for now, slide.

When one has a hyperactive immune system one cannot take the same meds as most folks and most importantly, one does not deal with illnesses in the same way as folks with "normal" immune systems. As an example and this is not meant to scare anyone as it has rarely happened with me.....I caught a flu five times in three months down in Belize during rainy season - only once out of the five times was I rendered nearly incapable of walking to the bathroom.....I had to have a friend stay with me. The malady was gone in 48 hours. This has happened over the years but thankfully vanishes quickly....one of the "benefits" I suppose of having this sort of immune system imbalance. Bugs hit me hard and fast but they depart sooner for me usually than for most.

Now Riverman can you understand my concerns? I must contact the neurology department, if I can get someone to talk with me, regarding this vaccine. It should be an interesting exercise to see whether or not "they" are willing to commit to a solid answer regarding my concerns/needs.

I will never put total blind trust/faith in doctors.....Over twenty years ago a doctor told me my MS symptoms (then I did not know i had it but knew I had something serious) were all in my head. Why the fuc* should I believe anyone at first word? My levels of education and experience have given me the ability to research and break down information effectively....I shall trust my resources and resourcefulness first, then consult and cross-reference......

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:I just spoke to my husband and he was talking with one of the guys he works with whose wife is an RN. They have a 5 year old daughter and are not getting her vaccinated. When a registered nurse who works on the front lines of the medical system is refusing the vaccine for herself as well as her daughter...makes me wonder.

Nurses aren't scientists or doctors they are regular people like us. They watch the news and are easily scared like the rest of us. The facts are this vaccine is produced in the same way the seasonal flu vaccine is, it just targets a different strain. The reason they are so worried about this flu is that it has the potential to kill normally healthy people with no immune problems. How many people in the world have been vaccinated now? At least a few million. Where are all the negative effects?

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:Yeah and apparently now they are saying we should do the vaccinations in school. Which would mean my children would be "outed" and ostrasized in school. We already have people screaming that those who dont get immunized should stay home and lock ourselves in the basement. Now this would give them a way of watching it.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/10/29/11563656-sun.html

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The reason they are so worried about this flu is that it has the potential to kill normally healthy people with no immune problems. How many people in the world have been vaccinated now? At least a few million. Where are all the negative effects?"

It has the potential.. which we have not actually seen it doing in any great numbers.

How many people in the world have had this flu already? At least a few hundred million. Where are all the deaths?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum