the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine?

+14
Ex-Pat-Pegger
Chester
LivingDead
eViL tRoLl
holly golightly
tick
Bartron
JT Estoban
Miz point
Riverman
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will you or have you been vaccinated for H1N1?

On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_lcap29%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 29% [ 7 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_lcap50%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 50% [ 12 ]
On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_lcap17%On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 17% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

now that we have some numbers lets do some calculations
308 million people in total
556 people dead from swine flu during first wave
worst case... that is 556 out of 1.8 million
best case that is 556 out of 5.7 million

308 / 1.8 = 171.1
so worst case 556x171.1 = 95131.6 people will die
308/ 5.7 = 54.03
so best case 556x54.03 = 30040.68 people will die

Anyone else find those numbers far to close to the exact numbers that the white house put out as estimates? Almost seems like they taylored the previous number of infections to be numbers that would end up equaling what the white house predicted.

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ohhhhh!

Conspiracy.

(Wink wink).

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Wow. You people need to follow my lead when posts piss you off. Take a calm, cool, emotionless stance. Heh heh heh

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Anybody who believes the above poster - I have some real nice land for sale in Florida??? On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Icon_smile

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Chester wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:
Bartron wrote:If it stays under control, then great. The only thing that scares me is the ability to kill normally healthy people.

Normal seasonal flu has killed healthy young people in the past. One example was the little girl who was in poltergeist, she died from the flu and she had no underlying medical problems.
Of course seasonal flu "has killed healthy young people in the past". I'm pretty sure children have died from being stamped by elephants too.
Instead of sitting in front of a computer all day surfing the internet for information, and posting all measures of misinformation and anectodes, why not SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR?
I am so thankful I am not your child.

LMAO... Nice first post. Welcome to the sandbox and please do not eat those little brown log like things in the sand, they may be cat poo.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

eViL tRoLl wrote:Documentation about the H1N1 vaccine is here:

[url=http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/sbd-smd/phase1-decision/drug-med/nd_ad_2009_arepanrix_h1n1_132070-eng.php
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/sbd-smd/phase1-decision/drug-med/nd_ad_2009_arepanrix_h1n1_132070-eng.php[/quote[/url]]

why would someeone give that a thumbs down?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm going to get one. I just like needles.

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Stood in line for an hour and a half and got it today. Having dead cells introduced into my body for my immune system to feast upon and develop antibodies doesn't make me too nervous. If I didn't work around so many people every day, I wouldn't be so concerned, but I get all types of people around me, sick or healthy ( and I don't work in a hospital too! ), I just don't want to run the chance of falling ill for a full straight week like a good deal of reported cases. Cannot miss work in my position unfortunately.

Having said all that, its been many years since I've received a booster shot for anything. Hype or not, I don't feel bad about getting a needle for this strain.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Do ya figure politicians will ever get tired of playing their stupid games? Bob Rae is, wait for it... ...a twit. But kudos to Jack Layton for being a voice of reason in the matter.
The Liberals are accusing Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government of being responsible for the deaths so far caused by the H1N1 influenza virus.

Liberal MP Bob Rae made the accusations yesterday in the House of Commons where he said government delays in ordering and rolling out the vaccine has "cost and will cost lives."

"There are people who unfortunately have succumbed to the disease," Rae told reporters. "I think it's a reasonable thing to say that if they'd had the vaccine, it's quite possible their lives could have been saved. That's a harsh truth."

ACCUSATION DISMISSED

Industry Minister Tony Clement dismissed the accusation, insisting his government has been working day and night to get the vaccine out.

"There are approximately 6 million doses that will have been delivered by the end of day (Friday)," Clement said. "By the end of the next week, there will be an additional 3 million doses, for a total of 9 million doses for Canadians."

The government says that despite some shortages in parts of the country during the rollout, there will be enough doses for everyone in Canada to get the H1N1 shot.

The notion that a delay in the distribution of the vaccine means Harper's government is responsible for the deaths was also dismissed by the NDP.

'HYPERBOLE'

NDP Leader Jack Layton described the charge as the sort of "hyperbole" he wasn't prepared to "throw around" just to score political points.

"This is a very large undertaking here. We've never tried anything quite this size on such a rapid timeline," Layton said. "I'm not sure that it would have been necessarily feasible" to have got it out sooner.

"I think what people are concerned about is they want to know their families can get vaccinated," said Layton. "We're hearing from the local level that many clinics just don't have the personnel to deal with all of those who are showing up with questions and to administer the vaccine."

Layton says the federal government needs to tell the provinces and municipalities responsible for vaccinating people to hire more staff, rent more premises and buy more equipment.

"The federal government should come forward with a plan and indicate a very clear willingness right from the get-go that whatever's needed locally to get those vaccines into the arms of the people who want them is going to be financed," said Layton.

PETER.ZIMONJIC@SUNMEDIA.CA

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What a fricking idiot!!! Can anyone imagine if they let this twit actually be part of government.

Hey, Boob, if you feel that strong, why not get Iggy to force an election. Then you would see what Canadians really think.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:Most people I know who work in the medical field are not getting vaccinated. That speaks volumes on the safety of this vaccine.

From today's Free Press
Front-line personnel want shots
Also, Flu numbers:
18,000 -- approximate number of Manitobans vaccinated against the seasonal flu in six-week immunization programs in past years
17,000 -- approximate number of Manitoba vaccinated against the seasonal flu in a three-day blitz this fall
67,078 -- number of H1N1 flu shots administered in Manitoba as of Wednesday
10,000 -- approximate number of health-care workers in Manitoba who've been vaccinated
unknown -- number of people in high-risk groups who've been vaccinated
134,000 -- number of doses of H1N1 vaccine produced by GlaxoSmithKline and sent to Manitoba by Ottawa
72,000 -- number of doses sent by Ottawa this week
unknown -- number of doses to be sent next Wednesday

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It's in the Freep so it must be true. I am speaking of people I know personally who work in hospitals who told me they are not getting the shot.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Rae is a twit.....saying what he is saying mere days after the deaths of the two young people. Compared to what is happening in the United States, I believe our government is doing rather well in terms of dealing with this crisis and believe me, I ain't no fan of Harper but to pin two deaths on the present government is not only a stretch but TACKY and INSENSITIVE in the extreme.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Goth_chic wrote:It's in the Freep so it must be true. I am speaking of people I know personally who work in hospitals who told me they are not getting the shot.

I hope they are not allowed to have contact with patients and are on leave without pay ... hazards to the public.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:It's in the Freep so it must be true. I am speaking of people I know personally who work in hospitals who told me they are not getting the shot.

I hope they are not allowed to have contact with patients and are on leave without pay ... hazards to the public.

Oh please...it is a choice. There are no forced vaccines. I know 3 nurses who are refusing the shot and many others who work in the medical field who are also not getting the shot.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I do not think I will be getting this shot. I am not on any immune suppressors (which would put me in a high priority category) as I have chosen to face what I have for as long as possible, naturally. That being said I am still a little woozy from this week.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, just THIS week?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

What the hell would boob rae have the government do? Make the vaccine itself? IT TAKES TIME TO MAKE AND TEST MEDICINE YOU DAMN STUPID KNOB!

What a fricken asshat.

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Ummm, just THIS week?

Smartass.....was sick last Friday but am now on the mend..... On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Icon_smile

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

eViL tRoLl wrote:

Lets hope they wash their hands, sometimes I wonder how people get all these wonderful infections like Methicillin-resistant staphlococcus aureus (MRSA), Necrotising fasciitis, C. Difficile, Vancomycin (or Glycopeptide) -resistant enterococci (VRE or GRE)

CUPE wrote:
Hospital-Acquired Infections

Hospital acquired infections are the fourth largest killer in Canada. Each year, 220,000-
250,000 hospital acquired infections result in 8,000-12,000 deaths. Thirty to fifty per
cent of these hospital-acquired infections are preventable.

8k to 12k per year, wow that is more than the first wave of the pandemic H1N1 influenza in USA/Canada/Mexico combined. Probably more than the total deaths for the 2nd wave in CANADA, but we have to wait till flu season is over to see.

People need to RELAX, do not PANIC.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Freeman wrote:What a fricking idiot!!! Can anyone imagine if they let this twit actually be part of government.

Hey, Boob, if you feel that strong, why not get Iggy to force an election. Then you would see what Canadians really think.

The weird thing is, Jack Layton is siding with the government on this. Saying the government is doing a good job with this unprecedented situation. Jack Layton appearing to be a calm voice of reason. Is he looking to pick up disgruntled Liberal voters? Wouldnt that be something if the NDP displaced the Liberals as the official opposition.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

apparently if you are a drunk driving native cheif... the flu epidemic is a good thing
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/10/31/11589696-sun.html

so what does a chief need to do during a time like this?
oh I know he gives the shots right? no wait you need to have medical training for that right?

oh I know he governs all by himself right? no wait he has a council he works with

oh I know!!.. no wait you know what? I dont fucken know. I have no clue what he could possibly be needed for and this is his second damn offense..

for a guy who is a "social drinker who drinks maybe once a month", he has been caught three times now and this time it was with a bac of .15

"Nobody's perfect ... but still I know it should not have happened"

yeah maybe the first time I could buy that buddy... but the third time?

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Province to run out of vaccine, some 221,500 people to be immunized by end of next week. Pretty large number considering all the nurses not getting vaccinated! On a serious note...who plans on getting the vaccine? - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/10/31/11589651-sun.html

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Who said all the nurses are not getting vaccinated?? I knwo quite a few people who are nurses, lab techs etc and they have chosen not to get vaccinated.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:apparently if you are a drunk driving native cheif... the flu epidemic is a good thing
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/manitoba/2009/10/31/11589696-sun.html

so what does a chief need to do during a time like this?
oh I know he gives the shots right? no wait you need to have medical training for that right?

oh I know he governs all by himself right? no wait he has a council he works with

oh I know!!.. no wait you know what? I dont fucken know. I have no clue what he could possibly be needed for and this is his second damn offense..

for a guy who is a "social drinker who drinks maybe once a month", he has been caught three times now and this time it was with a bac of .15

"Nobody's perfect ... but still I know it should not have happened"

yeah maybe the first time I could buy that buddy... but the third time?
Seems the "special sentences" for Aboriginals continue. We should be more understanding though. They have led such terrible lives because of other peoples actions. They deserve special consideration...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum